Voldemort does not impress me.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Harry Potter
  3. Voldemort does not impress me.

User Info: hoax123

hoax123
4 years ago#1
Yeah, he split his soul many times, was feared by everyone etc.
But i dont see what the fuss is about, the only thing you need to do to beat/kill someone, is point the wand in your opponents direction and say "Avada Kedavra". That is basically what Voldemort did most of the time, the thing is, just about everyone he killed was to scared to even try to resist, he doesnt have many legit kills.
Its all about luck and reflexes, i dont think voldemort have supernatural reflexes, but probably pretty good. Even if he knows ahead what you are trying to cast, all he can do against it is to try and dodge it, or trow an object in front of himself, its unblockable by magic, so Voldemort doesnt have any advantage here.
Sure, he is quite powerful, but all it could take is simply some random wizard spamming avada kedavra and he is done.
"But he is immortal", yes he is, but still worth it. He will lose his body like last time, and float around like a spirit, until someone try to find him and recover him again, could take a long time, last time it took 13-14 years or something.I think its more comfortable to search for horcruxes in a peaceful envoirment.
Finally. Mars has accepted my sacrifices and unleashes me. - Legate Lanius

User Info: Phantom_Nook

Phantom_Nook
4 years ago#2
Hitler wasn't so impressive by himself either. Tyrants like Voldemort have followers and use fear to gain power. He rarely went into battle himself, and even then, not everyone has the power to use Avada Kedavra.
1 universe, 8 planets, 204 countries, 804 islands, 7 seas, 7 billion people and it is JUST you. - PhaseSlaethe

hoax123
4 years ago#3
Phantom_Nook posted...
Hitler wasn't so impressive by himself either. Tyrants like Voldemort have followers and use fear to gain power. He rarely went into battle himself, and even then, not everyone has the power to use Avada Kedavra.

Can you explain to me why not everyone has the power to use Avada Kedavra? This will be a good one.

User Info: dwightschrute

dwightschrute
4 years ago#4
hoax123 posted...
Phantom_Nook posted...

Can you explain to me why not everyone has the power to use Avada Kedavra? This will be a good one.

It's explained in Goblet of Fire. You have to *mean it* when you use the spell -- you have to want to kill the person; otherwise, the spell won't do what it's intended to do.
I Was Not The Bullet.

hoax123
4 years ago#5
dwightschrute posted...
hoax123 posted...
Phantom_Nook posted...

It's explained in Goblet of Fire. You have to *mean it* when you use the spell -- you have to want to kill the person; otherwise, the spell won't do what it's intended to do.

Not for everyone of course, but im sure there are plenty of people who would finish of the dark lord given the chance. I dont really see how Snape killed Dumbledore, he didnt really want Dumbledore dead, and he certainly didnt want to kill him himself, but he had to.

User Info: FinalFantazyv2

FinalFantazyv2
4 years ago#6
hoax123 posted...
dwightschrute posted...
hoax123 posted...
Phantom_Nook posted...

Not for everyone of course, but im sure there are plenty of people who would finish of the dark lord given the chance. I dont really see how Snape killed Dumbledore, he didnt really want Dumbledore dead, and he certainly didnt want to kill him himself, but he had to.

Dumbledore was on the verge of death it wouldn't have taken a powerful hatred avada kedavra to finish him off. As for random people wiping out voldemort with the curse it wouldn't happen. Voldemort is a rogue warlock. Avada kedavra is a serious crime in the magical world. People were probably too scared of getting in trouble with the ministry of magic. Not to mention that most feared voldemort and would be scared to attempt such a feat.
Oh. Well. Alright.

User Info: Sariana21

Sariana21
4 years ago#7
Remember the trouble Harry had with the Patronus? And that was a "Light" spell. The "Dark" spells such as Avada Kedavra surely were not easy to master.

Since most of Book 6 dealt with Unspoken Spells and who could master them (Snape), it is not too much of a stretch to imagine that Snape may have cast a silent spell simultaneous to the AK, and it was the silent spell that threw DD over the parapet to his death. Or what PP said.

Voldemort was feared because he had no conscience. He took whatever he wanted without regard for collateral damage or even long-term consequences, really. He was ruthless and heartless, unlike most villains who generally have some sort of emotional weakness (or mechanical one in the case of non-human antagonists). Just as sociopaths in the real world are more fearsome because of their unpredictability, and instability, Voldemort was also rendered more fearsome because he was, in effect, not truly human.
___
Sari, Mom to DS (07/04) and DD (01/08)

User Info: Osbroj

Osbroj
4 years ago#8
Can you explain to me why not everyone has the power to use a gun to kill someone? This will be a good one.
My opinion means absolutely nothing and should be taken with a grain of salt.

hoax123
4 years ago#9
Sariana21 posted...
Remember the trouble Harry had with the Patronus? And that was a "Light" spell. The "Dark" spells such as Avada Kedavra surely were not easy to master.

Since most of Book 6 dealt with Unspoken Spells and who could master them (Snape), it is not too much of a stretch to imagine that Snape may have cast a silent spell simultaneous to the AK, and it was the silent spell that threw DD over the parapet to his death. Or what PP said.

Voldemort was feared because he had no conscience. He took whatever he wanted without regard for collateral damage or even long-term consequences, really. He was ruthless and heartless, unlike most villains who generally have some sort of emotional weakness (or mechanical one in the case of non-human antagonists). Just as sociopaths in the real world are more fearsome because of their unpredictability, and instability, Voldemort was also rendered more fearsome because he was, in effect, not truly human.

Your Snape arguement is based on loose asumptions, it was the AK that killed him, and he shouldnt really have been able to use ut against Dumbledore.
Whatever if Voldemort was scary, all it would take was some random AK to do him in, he cant block it any more than anyone else, its unblockable.

User Info: Xelltrix

Xelltrix
4 years ago#10
Osbroj posted...
Can you explain to me why not everyone has the power to use a gun to kill someone? This will be a good one.

They do?..

Rowling has stated that a gun could beat any wizard.

Also, Snape using AK just means he still had the intent to kill. Just because he didn't initially want kill Dumbledore doesn't mean he hadn't accepted it and cast the spell with every intent to kill him.
Reading this post may induce one or more of the following:
Nausea / Butt-Hurt / Lulz / UM? Syndrome / Angst / Diarrhea
  1. Boards
  2. Harry Potter
  3. Voldemort does not impress me.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived