• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. how is spear at nioh 2?

User Info: Zytto

Zytto
3 days ago#1
im a bit bore of my switchglaive, so looking for a change and have my eyes on spear lately, im planning to wear heavy armor (warrior of east set, agilty B) with focus on high stance attack. Those attack/skills drain LOTS of ki, should i put more points in heart? Im only level 80, with most my points in constitution and stamina.

Also, i find the range of my Piercing Rain a bit too short and cant reach to enemies, does Stability increase the range?

How do you guys think spearfall vs piercing rain? spearfall is really fast, but drain A LOT of ki, piercing rain is a bit slow, but damage is quite good, im using pr right now

User Info: callipygias

callipygias
3 days ago#2
Piercing Rain is fantastic for damage when you can find that opening, but for the really tough human enemies I'll usually switch to Spearfall. The pancaking is just so good, and for the times when you don't get the pancake, add Spear Flourish so that, even if you're out of ki, you'll have that extra moment to back away and recover.

In Nioh 1 I mained spear and axe and Warrior of the East. Used it all the way through Abyss floor 999. My main for Nioh 2 will be spear/glaive/hatchets, and I'm slowly locking down my new Warrior of the East divine set to see if I like that build just as much in this game. With the ki penalty being so severe compared to Nioh 1, I'm not sure I will though.

I didn't upgrade Heart past 20 in Nioh 1, but I did increase ki and ki recovery in most every other way I could. Worked out great.

I.D. callipygias
Pawn: Honeypot

User Info: TorvaMessorem

TorvaMessorem
3 days ago#3
There is a very powerful thrust damage focused spear build on YT by FightingCowboy. Might wanna look into that one. Focuses mainly on Triple Threat and Piercing Rain and it looks pretty sexy.

User Info: MinusN

MinusN
3 days ago#4
It's great! back in Nioh I didn't use it much but here it fits really good with the short range Hatches.
The spear mainly is best in mid stance with it's heavy attack pokes but it's light attack sweeps come out pretty quick in a trade.
It's best quality is punishing grapples and finishers they do a lot of damage.
The downside of the spear is that close quarters but that's where those new Hatches excel doing higher damage than the Dual Swords for a little less speed.
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: Creatures08

Creatures08
3 days ago#5
MinusN posted...
It's great! back in Nioh I didn't use it much but here it fits really good with the short range Hatches.
The spear mainly is best in mid stance with it's heavy attack pokes but it's light attack sweeps come out pretty quick in a trade.
It's best quality is punishing grapples and finishers they do a lot of damage.
The downside of the spear is that close quarters but that's where those new Hatches excel doing higher damage than the Dual Swords for a little less speed.
Try the mystic art that increases thrust range, poke from far and moves like twisting spear and triple threat hit hard and from so far
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
3 days ago#6
Piercing rain is only good for two things, imo. The first is lowering a Yokai's max Ki to zero after they are ki broken. The second is applying status ailments. Spear fall is just way more useful.

I really wish I could use spear fall on high stance and piercing rain in mid stance. That way, spear fall could be my main use finisher, but I could quickly access piercing rain situationally.

I also wish piercing rain was quicker. It's biggest downside is how long it takes to finish, which makes it likely you will get pushed for using it too often.

http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com
In consideration of the Pandemic, I have cleared my ignore list. Trolling will get you quickly readded to it.

User Info: MassiveKaos

MassiveKaos
3 days ago#7
Rhiethreal posted...
Piercing rain is only good for two things, imo. The first is lowering a Yokai's max Ki to zero after they are ki broken. The second is applying status ailments. Spear fall is just way more useful.

I really wish I could use spear fall on high stance and piercing rain in mid stance. That way, spear fall could be my main use finisher, but I could quickly access piercing rain situationally.

I also wish piercing rain was quicker. It's biggest downside is how long it takes to finish, which makes it likely you will get pushed for using it too often.

against Yokai? I can admit with it being better for humans but imo spear fall isn’t very good against Yokai and humans in Nioh 2 seem to recover and get back up way faster it’s hard to even capitalize on the final blow.

and yeah not sure why but the amount of Ki usage in high stance is legit rediculous. Like I swear it’s on par with odachi. 3 swings and your out

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
3 days ago#8
MassiveKaos posted...
against Yokai?
Yes, I think so.

For example, when Enki goes for its jumping spear throw, I will back up to the proper range and hold block. When it lands and rolls forward, I have time to land a single high stance attack followed by a spearfall. After the end of a Yoki's attack string, I can do the same combo, and it will usually break the Yoki's horn too, which will often leave the Yoki in a grapple-able state.

It destroys smaller Yokai as well. Aberrant Soldiers get melted by it, and small skeleton guys with the spear or swords get flattened by it as well, letting you get a finisher off on them.
rhiethreal.deviantart.com
It's pronounced: rye - E3 - all
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: demonfang178

demonfang178
2 days ago#9
Spears mostly got buffed.

Flying Monkey is actually usable now and you can even yokai ability the recovery just in case. Can even put the ability that increase damage by 20% at the cost of ki pulsing since you can't ki pulse FM anyway.

Stability, I swear, buffed thrusts' range even more.

Triple Threat is a top tier spear ability (deals crap ki damage however). Its range is goddamn ridiculous.

Spear Flourish on humans makes the next two hits guaranteed and you can flux it now, which you may or may not have been able to do in 1.

Downside to all this is that Chidori is garbage now; used to legit be able to hit humans with it, ki break or not.

And I agree with Rhie. Piercing Rain is only good on enemies that currently aren't a threat or never were to start. Now if you could attach it to mid stance to reduce its active time even a little...

User Info: Werchiel

Werchiel
2 days ago#10
The Chidori thing kills me man - that used to be my favourite skill next to Merciless Barrage - it was just so brutal.

But still - Spear is still probably one of the better and more fun weapons out there. And if you have trouble with a human enemy - running backwards and spamming Triangle in Mid Stance is still extremely strong. Stupid as all hell but strong.
Okay Hero, Set Me Free
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. how is spear at nioh 2?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A