• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. Nioh Fans Opinion on Code Vein

User Info: Bloodborne1

Bloodborne1
2 days ago#11
I enjoyed it. Fun game.
\o/

User Info: lostkiwi

lostkiwi
2 days ago#12
It was a bit janky. I really wanted to love it, but it just didn't click.

I did finish it, but I have no plans to play the DLC.

User Info: LordKarasuman

LordKarasuman
2 days ago#13
Code Vein is fantastic, if a bit on the easy side and very clearly a "first-time entry" for a developer who hasn't ever done this type of game before. Great foray into Soulslike as a genre, and the music runs circles around Nioh 2's soundtrack, and I LOVE Nioh 2's soundtrack.

User Info: TheGray250

TheGray250
2 days ago#14
I enjoyed it for what it was, although I wont lie and say I wasn't a bit let down as both a souls fan and a big fan of Shift's previous works. Story is p solid, gameplay is rough around the edges, the ability to switch builds on the fly is lit.

It's definitely a one and done kind of game for me, as I don't see myself returning to it for like another year or so, but I enjoyed my time with it none the less. If you're hesitant just get it on sale.

DLC is low effort and kinda garbage tho.
LordKarasuman posted...
Code Vein is fantastic, if a bit on the easy side and very clearly a "first-time entry" for a developer who hasn't ever done this type of game before. Great foray into Soulslike as a genre, and the music runs circles around Nioh 2's soundtrack, and I LOVE Nioh 2's soundtrack.

Nioh 2 has a soundtrack?

User Info: YoukaiSlayer

YoukaiSlayer
2 days ago#16
I thought it was pretty good. The story and characters were surprisingly engaging. I mean, they aren't like oscar worthy or anything but I expected a lot worse than what I got. Combat isn't bad but it's below souls, sekiro, and nioh IMO. Theres actually a lot of fun experimenting to do with builds and it's a lot more accessible since builds are basically equipment (the blood codes). Never played the DLC but heard it was garbage.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

User Info: Tmk

Tmk
2 days ago#17
It's quite a bit unpolished and repetitive (insultingly so, honestly). The DLC is horrible. The boss design is not super great either in terms of like, balance. Because they're trying to make a soulslike, but, their bosses are for a different kind of game. The impression the demo left me with is so bad that even if the game gets offered for free on PS+ I'll hesitate to play it. >_>

It also has the worst netcode I've ever seen. Every game has lag sooner or later, but what matters is how it handles that lag, and Code Vein handles it in quite possibly the worst way I've ever seen. Your i-frames are handled host side, not client side, meaning as a summon, whatever the latency is between you and the host at any given moment, is the delay your i-frames have. This also can easily cause enemy attack strings to unavoidably combo you that normally can't. On top of rubberbanding you back into being hit, 'cause of the lag. Even the direction and trajectory of your projectiles is handled host side. And your very positioning.

Obviously it's fine if there's minimal lag but if you coop a lot, there will be lag sooner or later, and Nioh handles it so much better, as do From's games (at least for PvE). Code Vein handles lag the way Dark Souls 1 backstabs in PvP handles lag. If not worse.

It felt like a really cheap attempt to cash in on soulslike popularity, like... a C-tier dev trying to make a B-tier game that emulates an S-tier game, and even that they couldn't really manage, even with the massive delays.

Just the demo got really repetitive and rehashing enemies and bosses and music. The demo... And I watched someone do the DLC, and most of the enemies in the DLC were the same enemies I saw in the demo. Like, one of the 3 DLC packs of Code Vein, is like one floor of the Abyss in Nioh 1, but with a new boss at the end (that they may or may not have just lifted poorly from a different series the dev makes >_>). That's how much respect the devs have for the playerbase.
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)

User Info: megasoniczxx

megasoniczxx
2 days ago#18
It's pretty cool from what I played of the demo. Feels like the game would've done from being sped up and ditching stamina though, not only does the premise kind of contradict a lot of the gameplay elements but it also just feels like it was randomly picked to slap over a souls clone because it was an easy win for anime fans.
3DS FC: 1204-0472-2121, PSN: megasoniczx
BB FC in SF3: 116379571135

User Info: Ayro06

Ayro06
2 days ago#19
It wasn't bad per se, but far too easy in comparison
Psn:mrayro1988

User Info: gzaface

gzaface
2 days ago#20
I completed the game and i like it, it isn't on the same level as any of the Nioh games, BB, or Dark Souls, but it's fun, kind of easy but fun.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. Nioh Fans Opinion on Code Vein
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A