• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. late to the party, but the difficulty seems way off

User Info: kasplat360

kasplat360
1 week ago#1
This game is just not clicking for me. I'm not even out of the first region, under level 30, but I have died so many times it really just isn't fun. The whole Yokai shift stuff just seems like useless crap. Most of my time is actually farming Cups for failed co-op attempts or dying over and over again on solo boss or sub-boss attempts. I don't remember ever being this frustrated on Nioh. Honestly, I was pretty close to just stopping today and doing something "easy" like Bloodborne or Dark Souls III.

I like the exploration part even though so far it is quite simplistic, unlocking shortcuts, finding the little green guys and so on is enjoyable and a lot of it I can do death runs if I want. But lordy the game seems incredibly unbalanced and just isn't fun as I get two-shot for the umpteenth time.

User Info: ivory3333

ivory3333
1 week ago#2
the game gets easier after the first region. least for me and some people said the same thing. also the game got even more easier when i start using hammer/Axe high stance triangle attack. with it im killing both human and yokai left and right.
Everyone is in favor of free speech.people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.

User Info: CHAON1

CHAON1
1 week ago#3
You can refill your held stock of cups at any time at shrines with rice
Kdt your intellect is wasted tossing salad all day ~ N2h

User Info: FeaRxImMortaL

FeaRxImMortaL
1 week ago#4
It gets alot easier once you push through a region or 2, I found the main story boss #2 to be a monster at that point. Use the burst counter, I didn't till near the end..but it trivialized alot of hard mobs+boss moves. It's really OP in this. Get the timing down and it will get you by the hard part(early game). Enjoy the difficulty, it disappears fairly quickly as you progress.
"Christus vivit. Christus regnat. Christus ab omni malo te defendat. Maledicti et Excommunicati daemones....."
PSN: ENDLESSxEnVY

User Info: ghost5141

ghost5141
1 week ago#5
My one and only advice - do expedition instead of summoning. you dont need any cup for expedition.

You will die many many times which is why it is more tolerable if you have co-op mates who can revive you. Have co-op also act as bait so you can hit enemies easier.

You will die alot lesser and the as you level up and get better gears, the game becomes more manageable. The beginning is always the hardest.
Psn: ghost5141

User Info: kasplat360

kasplat360
1 week ago#6
CHAON1 posted...
You can refill your held stock of cups at any time at shrines with rice

Not if you are out of rice. I'm on one of the sub missions where there just aren't that many revenants to farm, so I'm actually going to quit it to go back to an earlier main mission where I know I can farm a bunch of "reds" to build up my stock again, then go back to progressing. The fact that when I do summon a blue that is 20+ levels above me and they often die before I do seems wrong, but I guess out of Ki, is out of Ki = death, regardless of level.

User Info: macknifficent89

macknifficent89
1 week ago#7
I've found it much easier than the first game. in nioh 1 i would get stuck and have to look up strategies and execute them well to beat a number of bosses. in nioh 2, half the bosses i never really "figured out," because you don't need to. i just wail on them and win anyway and feel less satisfied because i didn't really accomplish anything. some even on a first try when i was really just aiming to feel them out so i could put up a better fight next time. this isn't intended as a humblebrag, I'm just genuinely a little disappointed. idk how anyone who was good at the first game would struggle with some of these bosses, unless i guess maybe you just cheesed your way through.

User Info: AKITAS_BRAVE

AKITAS_BRAVE
1 week ago#8
As someone else said, Burst Counter is apparently the way to go. Having said that, I am at the first boss of the 4th region and I have never used Burst Counter at all.
PSN ID :- AKITAS_BRAVE

User Info: LordKarasuman

LordKarasuman
1 week ago#9
If you're like me and you're a complete idiot, run Stamina, run heavy armor for the Defense and Toughness, and spam Axe's High Stance Triangle attack.

Learn to space yourself, figure out what hits from an enemy you can and cannot take, and play conservatively. When Stamina is 40 (which will allow you to run a set like Tatenashi at a serviceable C Agility), branch into Magic so you get access to defensive buffs in Onmyo.

I have literally been doing nothing but this and I'm currently like 90% of the way through Dream of the Strong difficulty.

User Info: Isaac_Redfield

Isaac_Redfield
1 week ago#10
kasplat360 posted...
This game is just not clicking for me. I'm not even out of the first region, under level 30, but I have died so many times it really just isn't fun. The whole Yokai shift stuff just seems like useless crap. Most of my time is actually farming Cups for failed co-op attempts or dying over and over again on solo boss or sub-boss attempts. I don't remember ever being this frustrated on Nioh. Honestly, I was pretty close to just stopping today and doing something "easy" like Bloodborne or Dark Souls III.

I like the exploration part even though so far it is quite simplistic, unlocking shortcuts, finding the little green guys and so on is enjoyable and a lot of it I can do death runs if I want. But lordy the game seems incredibly unbalanced and just isn't fun as I get two-shot for the umpteenth time.

It's both simultaneously easier and harder, but there are various reasons for why it could be either. As someone who played in light armor and died a lot until I "got good" in the first Nioh, the balance in this game does feel way off. Until you come to grips with using burst counters, but more specifically, using the Feral spirits since it gives you a lot more survivability options than the other two. The biggest departure from the previous game I think is just how obsessed TN got with having the majority of the enemies be hard hitting Yokai this time around, instead of simply being an uncommon threat. They are literally everywhere in this game right out of the gates and it seems like this game was primarily targeted at "vets" of the first one. Other than bosses, humans are in no way a threat at all here, and it's essentially "Yokai Hunter World".

I can't imagine someone who never played Nioh trying to play Nioh 2 and not getting ridiculously frustrated stressed out. This game has so many "WTF?" moments, that I was getting pretty frustrated at points, and I didn't believe anything could get more frustrating than the two hour wall that was Munshige when he invites you to an optional duel in the previous game if you did not have a parry, and did not want to abuse the rock due to him not playing by the rules (unlike the majority of the rest of the bosses before and after him).

I haven't used the co-op feature once yet, and I'm not sure I ever will, but I have occasionally used the blue summons (like three times total) to varying degrees of success. Usually they are good for a distraction on some of the multiple Yokai phase fights, or against a particularly annoying double human encounter so that I had enough time to toss up two Sloths and Debilitates.

The Yokai "shift" itself I've found mostly useless, and only ever really activate it when I'm extremely low on health and maybe about to die. While it can do "OK" damage, that's not really why I shift. It's more about waiting out the clock in the Dark Realm, and healing. I also said "f*** light armor" in this game, because it's simply not worth it at all. You have to be super good not to constantly get pasted by simple attacks while wearing it, and you also don't have the toughness to really block much of anything either.

AKITAS_BRAVE posted... As someone else said, Burst Counter is apparently the way to go. Having said that, I am at the first boss of the 4th region and I have never used Burst Counter at all.

You don't have to ever use it, but it does make life a whole lot easier. Not only does it stop big attacks, once you beef it up in the skills menu, you can regain health and also massive amounts of Ki when you successfully use them.

macknifficent89 posted... I've found it much easier than the first game. in nioh 1 i would get stuck and have to look up strategies and execute them well to beat a number of bosses. in nioh 2, half the bosses i never really "figured out," because you don't need to. i just wail on them and win anyway and feel less satisfied because i didn't really accomplish anything. some even on a first try when i was really just aiming to feel them out so i could put up a better fight next time. this isn't intended as a humblebrag, I'm just genuinely a little disappointed. idk how anyone who was good at the first game would struggle with some of these bosses, unless i guess maybe you just cheesed your way through.

I never had to look up how to defeat any boss in the previous game, and I haven't had to do it here. Bosses, for me at least aren't even where the difficulty comes in. I think in this game at least, other than Enera (on my very first playthrough) and Yatsu, I've killed most bosses in three tries or less. Most in two or less.

ghost5141 posted... My one and only advice - do expedition instead of summoning. you dont need any cup for expedition.

You will die many many times which is why it is more tolerable if you have co-op mates who can revive you. Have co-op also act as bait so you can hit enemies easier.

You will die alot lesser and the as you level up and get better gears, the game becomes more manageable. The beginning is always the hardest.

You need PS+ for Expeditions, but not for summons. Summons are easy to get anyway because all you need to do is kill a few Revenants.

LordKarasuman posted... If you're like me and you're a complete idiot, run Stamina, run heavy armor for the Defense and Toughness, and spam Axe's High Stance Triangle attack.

Learn to space yourself, figure out what hits from an enemy you can and cannot take, and play conservatively. When Stamina is 40 (which will allow you to run a set like Tatenashi at a serviceable C Agility), branch into Magic so you get access to defensive buffs in Onmyo.

I have literally been doing nothing but this and I'm currently like 90% of the way through Dream of the Strong difficulty.

That's my build as well. Started out as Odachi, but gouging stamina so that I could wear heavy armor, and by region three was using the axe a hell of a lot, and now I primarily just use it for most things. And yes, spamming high stance triangle attacks (for the most part) is a really dumb way to play, but it's also super effective and lazy...it's what I do on most Yokai anymore too. I also have 20 in magic for Slot, Devigorate, Protection etc.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. late to the party, but the difficulty seems way off
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A