• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. The Ranged Enthusiast -- Discussion and Research into Ranged Combat in Nioh-2

User Info: dthomas125

dthomas125
3 days ago#41
lPixels posted...
I usually don’t even need to visit the bazaar anymore if I remember to fill up at the blacksmith before missions.

Do you buy a bunch of rounds directly into your storehouse? There is an option in the menu to auto-fill in between missions so I usually keep 200+ of each in my storehouse so I never have to worry about filling up between missions.

Do you know what restocks the bazaar? Sometimes it feel like they only restock 1 round in a few missions.

sidenote: does anyone know if the bellflower kabuto is in N2?
China is putting up facial recognition AI cameras in schools to monitor the moods of their students.

User Info: lPixels

lPixels
3 days ago#42
dthomas125 posted...
Do you buy a bunch of rounds directly into your storehouse? There is an option in the menu to auto-fill in between missions so I usually keep 200+ of each in my storehouse so I never have to worry about filling up between missions.

Do you know what restocks the bazaar? Sometimes it feel like they only restock 1 round in a few missions.

I didn’t even know you could do that, just checked the shop and sure enough you can hit L3 to buy to storehouse, very nice!

The bazaar only lets you buy ammo up to the the base maximum, which is 7 for rifle ammo and 5 for cannon iirc. It restocks itself once you’re under the base maximum, and there is no limit to how many times you can buy it, as long as you have enough divine rice. I just traded in yellow and blue loot until I hit 999, since it carries over between missions.
PSN ID: aQualityBuild

User Info: AlekTrev006

AlekTrev006
3 days ago#43
GrimThis posted...
How do you feel about auto target weak point?? If used properly, i think it works really good in the heat of battle; particularly on human bosses.

Thomas mentioned this already, but I just got back from work and am able to reply now myself - so wanted to chime in a bit, too. Basically - yeah, this ability is ..."nice in theory" but because it never moves "with" the enemy, the actual utility is kind of limited. The only way you'll "re-target" is if you purposely break Lock-On - then push in the R3 button again to "re-lock" and if the foe is running at you, or moving left to right, it does nothing to help you because you end up having to manually follow their head (usually) or other weak spot you are trying to nail.

-----

GrimThis posted...
that 30% close range damage boost clan

While this is true (30% is obviously stronger than the Max Saika Clan bonus of 20% Rifle Damage)... the drawback is that, at least in Nioh-1, the "Close Range Damage" skill only triggered at "Point-Blank Range", when your Crosshair / aim circle is Bright Red... this is like less than 10 feet away from your character, and is typically way too close for comfort, against most enemies and Bosses.

Also, since one of the wonderful blessings of Rifle and Cannon are that they can do full damage from "Yellow / Long Range", or even extreme Range (White aim circle), at least with Roaring Gun rounds on your Rifle.... you kind of nerf yourself if you are forcing things into Point-Blank ranges, to actually take advantage of your damage boost.

As an example...assume you have Roaring Gun rounds loaded (zero damage drop off - wonderful ammo), and begin firing at a foe from "Yellow / Long Range". You land your first hit - doing heavy initial damage, as they are Unaware (let's say its a strong Yokai of some sort)... they turn and start rushing towards you.. You fire a second shot...then a 3rd.... the enemy is nearly at you, but he's also nearly KO'd.... you (perhaps) dodge backwards - evading his one swing or thrust attack...then pull up your rifle and finish him with the 4th blast.

.... if you had Close Range Boost instead...all those first 3 starting shots you would NOT have been able to take, as you'd be getting zero bonus damage on them.... instead, you'd either have to close range a lot yourself, or throw a shuriken or something minor - to get their attention - and then just "wait" till they finally got close enough to you for your bonus to kick in. In my view, the upper version of the encounter is the Safer - and arguably more efficient (overall).

-----

GrimThis posted...
there's also some new ninjitsu stuff you might like. Eagle eye, and poison and stun arrows.

Excellent points, and thank you, @GrimThis ... I have tried them out, but simply forgot to mention them thus far, as I was covering initial broad ranged concepts -- and didn't get to the newer stuff in Nioh-2 as much yet (other than Hatchets talk - lol).

The Poison and Stun work as expected, really - and are good at what they do. The Eagle Eye actually has some very strong potential, when combined with the mighty Hamaya / Sacred Arrows. These do the same damage to humans as regular arrows - so you should never use them (unless you have nothing else, of course) - against mortal foes. Their main effect is to do enormous damage to Yokai / supernatural targets.

Now, Eagle Eye is a new skill that causes a counter to appear up near your HP bar (usual buff / ailment areas) - which will slowly count UP from 1-to-5...as you keep the aiming circle over a target. Interestingly, it doesn't require you to track the target's weak point or anything - just keeping it aimed over some part of their body, is enough to keep the icon counting upwards. After about 5-7 literal seconds, you'll reach "5" on the icon...and can then loose your arrow... When using the Sacred Arrows with this effect, I was able to get some INSANE damage values, even at a very early point in the game, with sub-20 Heart / and other damage boosting stats.

I think I was able to score hits of 3000+, to enemy Enki's - allowing for 1-or 2 hit kills, at most. (If you fire right away after the first arrow strikes home, the second one still tends to strike with the Level-5 Eagle Eye boost, active). In terms of actual effect, it seems to literally increase the expected damage by that multiplier. For a very rough (subject to more testing) example, it seems to work like this:

Normal Sacred Arrow Strike on a Yokai: 1000 damage

Level-1 Eagle-Eye Sacred Arrow hit on a Yokai: 1000 damage
Level-2: 2000 damage
Level-3: 3000 damage
Level-4: 4000 damage
Level-5: 5000 damage

(again, that's just my anecdotal recollection, from the one day I tested them, early on - but you can see how powerful they can make your special arrows hit for. They just take a long time to "set up" the attack - given how slow the Eagle-Eye counter moves upwards. I rate it as having limited Boss viability, but great Stage Clearing potential, as you can often line up killing shots with a single arrow, on stationary or limited-patrol Yokai, as you progress through a level)

------------

dthomas125 posted...
There is an option in the menu to auto-fill in between missions

Did you recall where you saw this ? I was looking for the exact wording it had in Nioh-1, and for some reason I think they either changed its description in the menus, or I'm completely blind - lol (I do wear glasses / contacts, so maybe - haha !)

------------

dthomas125 posted...

I'm pretty sure it's the exact helmet that Akechi Mitsuhide is wearing in most of his cut-scenes and his Character Entry in the Hut. So you probably can pick it up at some point (speculatively). Which makes sense, from his history , nioh-1 missions etc. It previously had a massive +10% Matchlock damage bonus, or something like that... which could actually be an interesting addition to an End-Game setup, in place of the Yatagarasu Headband (with Yasakani covering you for the loss of the single armor piece).

dthomas125
3 days ago#44
AlekTrev006 posted...
Did you recall where you saw this ? I was looking for the exact wording it had in Nioh-1

You know what it was N1 that had this option apparently there is no option for it. I think restock is default now.

AlekTrev006 posted...
It previously had a massive +10% Matchlock damage bonus

Yes and it would increase with familiarity. I used it a lot in N1. I'll see if I can't get it off Akechi Mitsuhide. (Edit: looks like I have not met him in battle yet) I hit my first "ammo" snag since acquiring the Yatagarasu Armor and Spirit on the golden castle mission. I ran out during the Mezuki & Gozuki DP action. Not a good time. I'm only walking around at 49.1% untouched ammo atm.

lPixels posted...
The bazaar only lets you buy ammo up to the the base maximum

I see what you are saying now. So basically they let you start with 7 rifle rounds after every shrine visit (if you have the rice to afford them).
China is putting up facial recognition AI cameras in schools to monitor the moods of their students.
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: AlekTrev006

AlekTrev006
3 days ago#45
dthomas125 posted...
I'm only walking around at 49.1% untouched ammo atm.

Ah, mine's at 50.3% currently -- and I'm at "Ruin Draws Near" story mission. Don't forget to put it on both your Ranged Weapons (if you can get it to appear in the upper Tempering window, that is -- cause I would not waste valuable Quality Umbracite from Twilights on a temporary weapon that isn't your End Game (at least for now, pre DLC) one).

dthomas125 posted...
I see what you are saying now. So basically they let you start with 7 rifle rounds after every shrine visit (if you have the rice to afford them).

Yeah, and since the Rice is extremely generous (from what I can tell you get 1 for each White item, 2 for a Yellow, 3 for a Blue, and 4 for a Purple // more or less) ..... and Rifle / Cannon / Arrow ammo only costs 1 single Rice point to restock...you can very easily get back to the bare minimums, any time you run out.

Granted, 7 Rifle rounds ain't great...but at 50% U-Ammo, it's still roughly 10~11 shots... and you still (theoretically) would have your Sacred Arrows / Bow to lean back on, or just some Ninjutsu items (to at least soften the foe up). Actually, I could point out that the fact we have these Yokai Summon attacks, really means you can keep up a "ranged" sort of attack for a very long time in a fight - and eventually pop a Yokai Shift to try and seal the deal.

Going in hand to hand with your Katana / Kusarigama, etc - is always there, of course, but I generally try to leave that for the last option - if all else is used up. Oh - and I guess with our Hatchets we Always have a final ranged attack, should we need it ;-)

dthomas125
2 days ago#46
AlekTrev006 posted...
dthomas125 posted...

There is an option in the menu to auto-fill in between missions

Did you recall where you saw this ? I was looking for the exact wording it had in Nioh-1, and for some reason

Well it appears that only my regular rifle rounds auto-fill. I just noticed this because I was rarely using them on previous regions. Hmm. Hope they fix this or at least give us an option to auto-fill.

User Info: Werchiel

Werchiel
2 days ago#47
I swear to God I was waiting for you to post something like this :D

I was even thinking about you while browsing the clans - "hmmm, what would Alek pick?" xD

Anyways - do we know how high untouched ammo can get currently? I am slowly gathering a set for this as well but the rolls have not been with me so far.
Okay Hero, Set Me Free

User Info: Zindolence

Zindolence
2 days ago#48
"Piercing Projectiles" can't be rolled/tempered on a hand cannon. But I had it as an inheritable from a bow, so I tried it... and it works!

https://i.imgur.com/7nvPokV.png

It doesn't work with the explosive rounds though, since, well, they explode.
For some reason, "Rifle Speed Up" (and probably Bow Speed Up) can be inherited on hand cannon too, even though it's useless.

I haven't found it as an inheritable yet, but did anyone try to inherit "Movement Speed (Aiming Ranged Weapon)" on a hand cannon? It should normally do nothing, but who knows, maybe there's some glitchy interaction where it lets you move instead.

dthomas125
2 days ago#49
Zindolence posted...
"Piercing Projectiles" can't be rolled/tempered on a hand cannon. But I had it as an inheritable from a bow, so I tried it... and it works!

https://i.imgur.com/7nvPokV.png

It doesn't work with the explosive rounds though, since, well, they explode.
For some reason, "Rifle Speed Up" (and probably Bow Speed Up) can be inherited on hand cannon too, even though it's useless.

I haven't found it as an inheritable yet, but did anyone try to inherit "Movement Speed (Aiming Ranged Weapon)" on a hand cannon? It should normally do nothing, but who knows, maybe there's some glitchy interaction where it lets you move instead.

Nice find!

User Info: Young_Caesar

Young_Caesar
2 days ago#50
Saika's set won't drop, bros. I've killed him over 50 times. He's dropped so much other s*** instead. I gave up on him in Nioh 1 for this very reason. I need strength.
Juicy
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. The Ranged Enthusiast -- Discussion and Research into Ranged Combat in Nioh-2
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A