• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. The Dark Yokai realm is bad game design

User Info: kio87gre

kio87gre
2 weeks ago#1
One of the best parts of Nioh is the combat. All the different moves and stances and the fluid combat made Nioh so much fun to play despite the lackluster level design and enemy variety.

Now in Nioh 2 you have the Dark Yokai Realm. Ki recovery is extremely low in it. It makes it very hard to do combat allowing you to only hit once or twice before you are forced to fall back. This takes away the most fun part of Nioh. Not allowing you to play and force you to do hit and run tactics.

It is also a cheap artificial way to increase difficulty. Its just frustrating that even bosses creates these multiple times during a fight. I feel it is bad game design, goes against the fundementals of the combat and limits the player in options and takes away the fun in the game.

I hope it gets changed.
Domains under heaven, after a long period of division, tends to unite;
after a long period of union, tends to divide.

User Info: Lupinos

Lupinos
2 weeks ago#2
Use barrier talisman and purify some aretama if it is that much of an issue. Personally, I like it a lot. Adds a challenge that was missing.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again, while expecting different results. (As defined by Einstein)
Maybe we're all a little crazy.

User Info: Rusalka

Rusalka
2 weeks ago#3
it owns

reminder to never take seriously anyone who uses the term 'artificial difficulty' about *any* game

User Info: TyrantValzy

TyrantValzy
2 weeks ago#4
I don't mind it for normal enemies but it definitely sucks in boss fights. So far we only know very few bosses but imagine a boss like Maria that can shift into the Yokai Realm.

Holy hell only thinking about this makes me angry.^^

User Info: VegaGG

VegaGG
2 weeks ago#5
Heh, boss fights will be manageable.

Imagine arena stage missions with Dark Realm.

User Info: Vithar

Vithar
2 weeks ago#6
it's tough, they want you to use Yokai skills/shift during those dark realms
PSN: Vithar ~ Xbox: Vithar360 ~ Wii: VitharU

User Info: GenjiRed

GenjiRed
2 weeks ago#7
Here are some options to combat it:

1) Level up Onmyo and level of ki recovery for Yokai and Dark Realms

2) If fighting enemies, you can lure them out of the Dark Realm and hit for a bit before they are warped back to their location as their health will remain the same.
Doom is Love, Doom is Life, Doom is Eternal.
Mega Man 11 is the Game of the Year.

User Info: onedarksoul

onedarksoul
2 weeks ago#8
It is quite cheap, theres no denying that, yet surmountable with great defensive tactics in boss fights. It forces you to be less aggressive unless you are supplementing heavily with items or magic. I'm thinking perhaps in the final game there may be some stages which are entirely Yokai realm which could possibly mean oni form of the character only. That'd be interesting.

User Info: RaxuRangerking

RaxuRangerking
2 weeks ago#9
Agreed; it kills the frame-rate, the only difficulty it adds is making your Ki regen suck, it feels really out of place, and I really shouldn’t have to stack certain stats just for these segments.

It would be great if these areas were optional challenge segments in a level, instead of right in your way.
Power to the people of Earth!

User Info: dyssonance

dyssonance
2 weeks ago#10
Agreed. Beat the demo, definitely not buying the game as is. Any mechanic that forces you to use items or certain moves, or artificially pads out the length of boss fights is just bad game design.

Nioh continues to be that wannabe Dark Souls chaser that never gets it right. =\
PSN: dyssonance
Twitch: twitch.tv/dyssonance ; Top 500 Overwatch player (DPS/Tank flex), former semi-pro player PS4; FC: 3625-9128-2710
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh 2
  3. The Dark Yokai realm is bad game design
  • Post New Message