• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM Eternal
  3. 2016 or Eternal?

User Info: ReachMorrowind

ReachMorrowind
2 months ago#1
2016 or Eternal?

BJ Sikowitz

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
1 month ago#2
Eternal has better core gameplay, 2016 has better everything else and is generally a more polished experience, as you see with little environmental details and unique takedown animations when each demon kills you.

Eternal seems to make the mistake of saying "more=better" when it comes to stuff like locations and lore. The Mars colony in 2016 felt like a real location that connected together logically and had just three characters (Slayer, Hayden and Olivia) but you knew exactly what they were about. In Eternal you jump between random fantasy locales and the lore logs have gone from a neat extra to basically mandatory if you want to know where you are who random one-shot characters who barely factor into the plot like the dead king and the Betrayer are.
Not buying a single Activision Blizzard or Ubisoft game again until they've kicked out the abusers and execs who enabled them. No-one should suffer for my fun.

User Info: Progenitor

Progenitor
1 month ago#3
Eternal is straight up an FPS devil may cry
don't really care about story or w/e, story and lore just gets in the way upon multiple playthroughs, Eternal just gets to the point.

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
1 month ago#4
Progenitor posted...
Eternal is straight up an FPS devil may cry
don't really care about story or w/e, story and lore just gets in the way upon multiple playthroughs, Eternal just gets to the point.

I do think an arcadey approach is fine, that said I think Eternal doesn't do as good a job delivering what story it does have as 2016, and story can flesh out an action title. Case in point the Vergil fights in DMC3 feel more dramatic because of the cool buildup, like seeing him obliterate a miniboss and claim its soul as a weapon just as the player has been doing all game.

DMC3 had a surprisingly solid story, with all four main characters (Dante, Lady, Vergil and Arkham) being compelling so it's not like the series never had a good story, even if the writing quality has slipped since then and the series doesn't let storytelling get in the way of gameplay.
Not buying a single Activision Blizzard or Ubisoft game again until they've kicked out the abusers and execs who enabled them. No-one should suffer for my fun.

User Info: MallyPureSmooth

MallyPureSmooth
4 weeks ago#5
Eternal and it's not even close imo. Better level variety, more diverse enemies, better gameplay, etc. This is one of the few cases where I prefer nothing from the game that came before.

User Info: Robin_Mask

Robin_Mask
4 weeks ago#6
Delta123456789 posted...
I do think an arcadey approach is fine, that said I think Eternal doesn't do as good a job delivering what story it does have as 2016, and story can flesh out an action title. Case in point the Vergil fights in DMC3 feel more dramatic because of the cool buildup, like seeing him obliterate a miniboss and claim its soul as a weapon just as the player has been doing all game.

DMC3 had a surprisingly solid story, with all four main characters (Dante, Lady, Vergil and Arkham) being compelling so it's not like the series never had a good story, even if the writing quality has slipped since then and the series doesn't let storytelling get in the way of gameplay.
Honestly, DE has one of the s***tiest stories in gaming. It makes no sense, it's just a ton of "let's make this look cool but nothing worth to add to the story nor have it make sense" which is amazing considering how great the story 2016 has.
My YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8OmMlZXYXJmAi_f1vvNPg
Top games this gen: Sekiro>RE2/RE3=DMCV>Witcher 3=RDR2=GOW=BB>Doom>T7>Nioh
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM Eternal
  3. 2016 or Eternal?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A