• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM Eternal
  3. Gritty vs Cinematic - which render do you prefer for Doom Eternal?

User Info: HeejyHorang

HeejyHorang
2 months ago#1
I spent an hour last night messing with HDR settings between the 2 render modes and I just can't decide between between them and its driving me nuts lol. It seems like they're really similar, but the differences being Cinematic has more bloom, a vignette like effect, and slightly cooler colors.

What do you all think? Help me decide!

User Info: cyborg34572

cyborg34572
2 months ago#2
I prefer Gritty because it increases sharpness and tones down the colors a bit so its not as cartoony.
I think it captures Doom atmosphere this way.

As for HDR, I just go by what looks best on my TV. HDR settings will depend on your TV settings so that's for you to experiment.
https://imgur.com/cYSUcpo

User Info: HeejyHorang

HeejyHorang
2 months ago#3
cyborg34572 posted...
I prefer Gritty because it increases sharpness and tones down the colors a bit so its not as cartoony.
I think it captures Doom atmosphere this way.

As for HDR, I just go by what looks best on my TV. HDR settings will depend on your TV settings so that's for you to experiment.
https://imgur.com/cYSUcpo
I'm leaning tiward gritty as well and I have a similar end result to the pic you posted. It's a big improvement! But I still can't tell the difference really between gritty and cinematic besides a slight vignette/deeper blacks...can you? Cinematic is too dark in some areas in my opinion

User Info: cyborg34572

cyborg34572
2 months ago#4
HeejyHorang posted...
I'm leaning tiward gritty as well and I have a similar end result to the pic you posted. It's a big improvement! But I still can't tell the difference really between gritty and cinematic besides a slight vignette/deeper blacks...can you? Cinematic is too dark in some areas in my opinion
I think the biggest different in Cinematic is the Bloom and Lightflares being amplified to give more of that "Cinematic Sci-fi" look. Just look at light sources when you're switching between the two, you will see that Cinematic has brighter lights with wider bloom radius.
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM Eternal
  3. Gritty vs Cinematic - which render do you prefer for Doom Eternal?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A