• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM Eternal
  3. What was the difference between this and 2016

User Info: Robin_Mask

Robin_Mask
1 month ago#21
Saihig posted...
The low ammo wasn't that big of a deal if you were just willing to use your chainsaw. What I disliked more about eternal was the level design. It was essentially just battles arenas over and over connected by platforming segments. I prefer the constant "just explore the area fight enemies as they come" style of 2016.
Honestly, the devs were too worried this time around with just the new mechanics and the s***tiest online mode of all time to make a better game. Keep in mind how they really went all in for both of those things. No surprise everything else isn't as good.
My YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8OmMlZXYXJmAi_f1vvNPg
Top games this gen: Sekiro>RE2/RE3=DMCV>Witcher 3=RDR2=GOW=BB>Doom>T7>Nioh

User Info: bassage

bassage
1 month ago#22
Saihig posted...
The low ammo wasn't that big of a deal if you were just willing to use your chainsaw. What I disliked more about eternal was the level design. It was essentially just battles arenas over and over connected by platforming segments. I prefer the constant "just explore the area fight enemies as they come" style of 2016.
YES!

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
1 month ago#23
In fairness I do think the environments were more interesting in Doom 2016, as were a lot of other stuff (hidden weapons, cool death animations when demons kill you, better sense of how locations tied together and stronger story/characterisation). Still though the core gameplay is so fun I find myself preferring Eternal even though 2016 was a more polished experience in a lot of ways.
Not buying a single Activision Blizzard or Ubisoft game again until they've kicked out the abusers and execs who enabled them. No-one should suffer for my fun.
Saihig posted...
The low ammo wasn't that big of a deal if you were just willing to use your chainsaw. What I disliked more about eternal was the level design. It was essentially just battles arenas over and over connected by platforming segments.
Lol, like DOOM 2016. xD

I prefer the constant "just explore the area fight enemies as they come" style of 2016.
Lol, like DOOM Eternal. xD
On the eighth day, God created Turok.
Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons.
(message deleted)

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
1 month ago#26
In fairness DOOM 2016 also had a decent number of arena fights and Eternal did have the odd little encounter while travelling between locations. On the whole I preferred 2016s levels since they felt more like an interconnected world you were journeying through, but that's not to say I think that Eternal's more arcadey, videogamey approach is necessarily bad.

There's nothing wrong with simple design, linear levels and encounters. Devil May Cry 5 is more linear than its predecessors for example, but that works to its advantage seeing as exploration was never that great in that series.

TL:DR: I prefer 2016's levels on the whole but that's not to say I think Eternal's were bad.
Not buying a single Activision Blizzard or Ubisoft game again until they've kicked out the abusers and execs who enabled them. No-one should suffer for my fun.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: cyborg34572

cyborg34572
1 month ago#27
This is why Doom2016 "feels" more atmospheric overall.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/ploask/why_is_d2016_more_atmospheric/
bassage posted...
The dumbest, most ignorant comment in Gamefaqs history. Congratulations.
That's nice.

cyborg34572 posted...
This is why Doom2016 "feels" more atmospheric overall.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/ploask/why_is_d2016_more_atmospheric/
Lol, reddit. xD
On the eighth day, God created Turok.
Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons.

User Info: crazyswords

crazyswords
1 month ago#29
bassage posted...
The dumbest, most ignorant comment in Gamefaqs history. Congratulations.

but he’s right
When you walk through the garden, you better watch your back.
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM Eternal
  3. What was the difference between this and 2016
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A