• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM Eternal
  3. What was the difference between this and 2016

User Info: Robin_Mask

Robin_Mask
4 months ago#11
yutterh posted...
The difference is they wanted to do something new and what they thought was a good evolution on top of their previous game. Same dev team and everything.
Wrong, 2016 had two directors, Stratton got promoted and is executive producer for this game. So the other guy returned as a director which led to all the changes.
My YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8OmMlZXYXJmAi_f1vvNPg
Top games this gen: Sekiro>RE2/RE3=DMCV>Witcher 3=RDR2=GOW=BB>Doom>T7>Nioh

User Info: digitalwill2000

digitalwill2000
4 months ago#12
Horridhal posted...
Cool story. I never said it was objectively bad, though, or made my opinion out to be a fact. It’s super fine you like it, more power to you, but I don’t need a defense of the game or a discussion on why the things I dislike actually have merit. They never will for me.

I want to know what the change was that created all the changes. You say this was a logical progression but it wasn’t. The two games don’t play the same way. Combat was more visceral and took longer in 2016 and there was, regardless of your opinion, far less in terms of platforming than there is in Eternal. There is a lot less choice in Eternal, as well. I’m forced into using specific weapons in ways that never happened in 2016.

As I said, there are quality of life changes that are nice. That said, was it put together by a different development team or something? Because the two games are extremely different in terms of their approaches.

You clearly didnt read his post
Justice for Harry Dunn

User Info: crazyswords

crazyswords
4 months ago#13
Pretty sure they just tried to make an even better game, and succeeded.
When you walk through the garden, you better watch your back.

User Info: bassage

bassage
3 months ago#14
The difference is 2016 was fun and DE is like doing homework.

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
2 months ago#15
bassage posted...
The difference is 2016 was fun and DE is like doing homework.

If your homework involves chainsaws that makes me ask what you study and how to apply.
Not buying a single Activision Blizzard or Ubisoft game again until they've kicked out the abusers and execs who enabled them. No-one should suffer for my fun.

User Info: NemesisOgreKing

NemesisOgreKing
2 months ago#16
2016 rewarded garbage players whom only used the SSG like babies. Eternal encourages weapon, equipment and movement variety.
2016 = Babies first DOOM
Eternal = A man and a half DOOM.
Eternal weeds out the casuals from the Hardcore.
On the eighth day, God created Turok.
Persona non grata

User Info: bassage

bassage
2 months ago#17
NemesisOgreKing posted...
2016 rewarded garbage players whom only used the SSG like babies. Eternal encourages weapon, equipment and movement variety.
2016 = Babies first DOOM
Eternal = A man and a half DOOM.
Eternal weeds out the casuals from the Hardcore.
I've been playing Doom since the original. Wolfenstein 3D before that. Try harder little kid. Eternal isn't that hard, it's just annoying. They forgot to add the fun. It's a chore.

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
2 months ago#18
bassage posted...
I've been playing Doom since the original. Wolfenstein 3D before that. Try harder little kid. Eternal isn't that hard, it's just annoying. They forgot to add the fun. It's a chore.

I understand that some people find things like the limited ammo or the weakpoint system to get in the way too much to be fun, but it's pretty clear that for just as many if not more people those things just weren't a big deal and didn't stop them having a ton of fun with the game (case in point I'm one of them, and have come across plenty of others on this forum and elsewhere).

I'm sorry you didn't have as much fun with the game as I did, but there's a difference between a game not being for you and it being objectively terrible.
Not buying a single Activision Blizzard or Ubisoft game again until they've kicked out the abusers and execs who enabled them. No-one should suffer for my fun.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: NemesisOgreKing

NemesisOgreKing
2 months ago#19
bassage posted...
That's nice
On the eighth day, God created Turok.
Persona non grata

User Info: Saihig

Saihig
2 months ago#20
The low ammo wasn't that big of a deal if you were just willing to use your chainsaw. What I disliked more about eternal was the level design. It was essentially just battles arenas over and over connected by platforming segments. I prefer the constant "just explore the area fight enemies as they come" style of 2016.
Are sigs really necessary? Who came up with this stuff?
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM Eternal
  3. What was the difference between this and 2016
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A