• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Devil May Cry 5
  3. About the term "Character Action"...

User Info: Millenium85

Millenium85
7 months ago#1
...What does it mean, exactly (I mean mostly the name)? What makes DMC and a few other games do in order to qualify as a "Character Action" game, and why is it that not a lot of Action games fall into that category?

And lastly... do you even like that label?

User Info: Duey

Duey
7 months ago#2
Millenium85 posted...
do you even like that label?
Nope.

User Info: OracleGunner

OracleGunner
7 months ago#3
Millenium85 posted...
What does it mean, exactly (I mean mostly the name)?
An attempt to not say 3d brawler.

Millenium85 posted...
What makes DMC and a few other games do in order to qualify as a "Character Action" game, and why is it that not a lot of Action games fall into that category?
Same reason action adventure is a trash heap of a genre.

Millenium85 posted...
And lastly... do you even like that label?
Don't feel anything about it.
The Unofficial Iron Castle That Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. People who got it:6
The Official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.

User Info: New_Birdman

New_Birdman
7 months ago#4
Nonsense term.

User Info: UbberDevil

UbberDevil
7 months ago#5
I’ve excepted that most video game genre titles are nonsense or don’t describe the genre well. It’s whatever; look at videos online if you want to see what the game has going on.
Q- if Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil, and Sparda is my Queen.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
7 months ago#6
Most genre terms are really weird, but this one still takes the cake for me. I can live with RPGs without roleplaying being RPGs, but 'character'? What does that even mean. Same with 'spectacle fighter' and 'stylish action game', while only two major titles in the vast genre focus on style and spectacle. I just call them Action games as a whole, Action Hack and Slash if I want to be more specific. But it is just a mess. 3d Beat'm Up or 3d brawler is probably the best most descriptive term.
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
7 months ago#7
Honestly "Hack and Slash" would be better, maybe 3D on the front. Someone tried to popularise the term "spectacle fighter" for this type of game which honestly makes a lot more sense. I mean, the emphasis is on flashy combat after all. It never caught on unfortunately.

But yeah "character action" is an awful and not remotely descriptive name. At least "Metroidvania" makes sense if you've played either of those series before, character action would probably need explaining even if someone was already familiar with DMC and Platinum's output.
If you're a success odds are darned good you got help, support and/or a few second chances along the way, so think long and hard before denying them to others.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
7 months ago#8
Delta123456789 posted...
the emphasis is on flashy combat after al
I hear that a lot, but I don't get it. Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are flashy, maybe TD:F and Near a Tomato, but God of War, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising, God Hand, Shinobi, Chaos Legion, Onimusha, Castlevania LoS, Killer is Dead, Prince of Persia, Yakuza, Furi, Remember Me, Otogi, Absolver, Nanobreaker, Knack II, Dante's Inferno, Lollipop Chainsaw, Blood will Tell, Genji, Marlow Briggs - the entire list that just keeps on going, they aren't really about spectacle in combat. God of War and MGR:R maybe in terms of cutscenes? It's why I never understood that whole genre name.

Delta123456789 posted...
Metroidvania
This term always gives me PTSD-flashbacks to the 500 post topic asking if Super Metroid was a Metroidvania. That topic went places haha!
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

User Info: New_Birdman

New_Birdman
7 months ago#9
>spectacle fighter
Worst term EVER.

>unfortunately
You're kidding.

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
7 months ago#10
When I think spectacle fighter I don't think God of War or Ninja Gaiden, I think DMC, Bayonetta and Viewtiful Joe, games with arcadey scoring systems and visible point values that clearly emphasise the importance of fighting well and not taking hits. For me the key element though is how a lot of enemies while having a degree of threat are primarily there for you to style on rather than just demolish as quickly as possible.

For me spectacle fighter is a niche sub-genre within the broader categories of hack and slash or beat-em-up.
If you're a success odds are darned good you got help, support and/or a few second chances along the way, so think long and hard before denying them to others.
  1. Boards
  2. Devil May Cry 5
  3. About the term "Character Action"...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A