• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Devil May Cry 5
  3. So how much does Dante know? (spoilers)

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
1 month ago#1
Something that's confused me in this game is whether Dante knows V is connected to Vergil. You'd think it would be pretty obvious given the guy's name, the fact that he knows about Dante and Vergil's history and conspicuously reads from his brother's favourite book, yet Dante still lets V near Urizen, allowing them to re-fuse, suggesting he isn't aware of the connection.

There's also quotes like the following from Mission 12:
Dante: If the Yamato can separate man from devil... then what of the Rebellion?...

This suggests V told him everything and he's fully aware of the split, yet the following quote from Mission 18 seems to suggest he only has suspicions:

Griffon: Oh the wise guy Dante. We were spawned from Vergil's abominable thoughts... but you knew that already.

Dante: Come to think of it, I did know somethin' was off. Just like with my old brother.

Is the game just being inconsistent with how much Dante knows? I tended to assume V didn't tell anyone but Trish about the split (seeing as he withholds details from Nero despite saying he'll tell him everything, and is clearly manipulating the heroes) but the first quote seems to contradict that.
If you're a success odds are darned good you got help, support and/or a few second chances along the way, so think long and hard before denying them to others.

User Info: Dathrowed1

Dathrowed1
1 month ago#2
I assume Dante knows everything V told Trish, since it is only fair for him and the audience to know as much at that point. It also doesn't reveals V's intentions and as far as we know up to that point V only kills with his cane

The Griffon convo is audience exposition, which is why Griffon ended it with a footnote. Dante was just joshing there.

Only real issue is when V reveals he wants to beat Dante just like Urizen, which lends itself to his initial conversation "A powerful demon is trying to resurrect and we need your help", where he is talking about Vergil.

What I see it as is this: Dante knew Vergil wanted to become a full demon just like Sparda and saw humanity as a weakness. The scene we see in the game is Vergil casts off his humanity and becomes a full demon. So while V is Vergil, Dante associates Urizen with Vergil and V does too (when he speaks to Nero at least). He doesn't associate V with Vergil because Vergil got rid of the part he he despised the most to become (in Dante's mind) his true self and what he wanted to be.

Even in mission 18 Dante reflects "Never would've guessed you'd come back... Dammit V, was this your plan all along". Remember we technically don't know what V's goal was until he recites "Love and Harmony Combine"

His issue is with V's plans, not who V is
sig

User Info: Xclaim

Xclaim
1 month ago#3
I'm pretty certain V told Dante everything, Dante's only mistake was taking V at his word about wanting Urizen destroyed and realizing V's true motive a second too late.

As for the exchange between Dante and Griffon, I doubt Dante cared enough about V's pets to ask how and why they exist. That had less to do with Dante's suspicions about V and more to do with him figuring out where exactly they come from.
The internet has made it too easy for people to be openly disrespectful without getting punched in the face for it.

User Info: WhiteZeus

WhiteZeus
1 month ago#4
The problem i see is that he only treats Urizen as Vergil.

Like... THAT is Vergil for him. He blindly trusts V and treats V as... someone else… He doesn't treat V as Vergil like he does with Urizen.

This is why it seems he doesn't truly know…

He keeps talking to Urizen as if it's Vergil but he doesn't talk to V as if he's Vergil at all…

On the other hand... Dante IMMEDIATLY notices the Cavaliere Angolo is Trish… Even though there are 0 indications or clues that it's Trish… He already knows it's her before Cavaliere even speaks or does anything…

So if Dante immediatly notices that then surely he must notice V being Vergil too right?

But then again.. Why does he treat him like it's a totally different person while he treats Urizen as if it's really Vergil...

User Info: kollie89

kollie89
1 month ago#5
I mean the griffin quote is more about Vs connection with griffin, shadow and nightmare, something Dante might not have been clued in on. The two quotes really don’t contradict each other

Dante’s issue is he might trust V a little more than he should, or at the least he trusts him when he says he wants to finish off urizen towards the end
https://m.imgur.com/a/kF9tE
https://m.imgur.com/a/VmlFu

User Info: RoyalsDK

RoyalsDK
1 month ago#6
Dante should have shot V instead of trying to run to him and Urizen.
"lets be honest.. Vin has kind of made The Rock the star he is. Rock was pretty much a nobody in hollywood until the fast and furious"- JamesOwnzMaz

User Info: NightmareGamma

NightmareGamma
1 month ago#7
kollie89 posted...
I mean the griffin quote is more about Vs connection with griffin, shadow and nightmare, something Dante might not have been clued in on. The two quotes really don’t contradict each other

Dante’s issue is he might trust V a little more than he should, or at the least he trusts him when he says he wants to finish off urizen towards the end

This is pretty much true, given from what we know from the Manga "Visions of V". Granted, it slightly contradicts with the game (V seems to have black hair and the Tattoos growing on him right after he was born, while the Manga suggest they appeared much later, after obtaining each familiar seperately), but not too much so that we couldn't start talking about it. In the visions of V, V has to get his familiars first. Griffon is the first he gets, Phantom was supposed to be the second, but he got Shadow instead, and Nightmare is the last. Maybe we will also get the conversation where he tells Dante who he is (or not, but it always felt like Dante knew that V was Vergil), but I can guess that V would cut out the part on how he got his familiars, since he it seemingly is "not important" of an information in the grand scheme of things.

My issue is something else. fromt the Prequel Novel we know that V was all about saving humans. While V is waiting for Nero and Dante to come for the start of the actual game, V is going to save as many humans as possible, dispite this risking to shorten his lifespan since it would cost him demonic energy to do so. Which indicates that he really wanted to redeem himself and do something good! He also told that to Nero (or trish, can't remember) when he talked to one of them, and it seemed that this was his original intention. It also never came across like V was lying when he said he wanted to destroy Urizen. Remember that he brought Nero with him just for that should Dante not be capable of doing it. It seemed more like in the end, when V was about to die and lost his familiars, and was powerless once again, that he felt his inferiority complex towards Dante coming back. The latest chapter of Visions of V (Chapter 9) also shows that even V still has this inferiority complex towards Dante. And when he finally saw Urizen, lying there defeated, about to be killed by Dante, it most likely came back to his mind that V dispite trying to be a good "human", dispite wanting to redeem himself with his actions, deep inside that burning flame that wants to overcome his brother still lingers on, grows stronger by the minute, and so he decided that instead of destroying Urizen, he will absorb him and become whole again, but this time accepting his weakness, accepting his humanity, and thus become the "true" Vergil.

ubt that is all just theory, and again, I would like that this might be more fleshed out in either the Manga, or a DLC/Special Edition Story...
DRAGONBALL Z: BATTLE OF Z BEGINNERS GUIDE:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/720091-dragon-ball-z-battle-of-z/68467298

User Info: rugahboi

rugahboi
1 month ago#8
Dante knows Vergil discarded his humanity to become a true demon, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he knows that humanity is V. That's why he treats Urizen as Vergil, but not V. He likely suspects something is off with V due to him and his pets not "feeling" right (Dante has shown in other games that he can sense demonic energy; like an anime character can sense Ki, Chi, Chakra, etc. Though I don't know if that ability carries over into the main continuity, as we've only ever seen Nero do so by using his DB).
i.imgur.com/KeE1bIk.png?1

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
1 month ago#9
rugahboi posted...
Dante knows Vergil discarded his humanity to become a true demon, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he knows that humanity is V. That's why he treats Urizen as Vergil, but not V. He likely suspects something is off with V due to him and his pets not "feeling" right (Dante has shown in other games that he can sense demonic energy; like an anime character can sense Ki, Chi, Chakra, etc. Though I don't know if that ability carries over into the main continuity, as we've only ever seen Nero do so by using his DB).

I think this makes most sense. Dante's quote pre-SDT-unlock shows he knows about the split, but I agree he never treats V like Vergil or attempts to persuade him the way he does Urizen, suggesting he doesn't know V is also part of Vergil.

While V may have only lied about his connection to Urizen to Nero (the guy might not react well to V admitting he's part of the guy who took his arm) I think it would make sense for him to tell the same lie to Dante since the less the heroes know the easier they'll be to manipulate. Him telling Trish the truth is probably more because he had a moment of weakness in light of him looking like his mother.
If you're a success odds are darned good you got help, support and/or a few second chances along the way, so think long and hard before denying them to others.

User Info: Dathrowed1

Dathrowed1
1 month ago#10
rugahboi posted...
I think him not believing V to be Vergil's humanity creates problems of it's own tbh. Like I said his issue wasn't who V was, but what his goal was
sig
  1. Boards
  2. Devil May Cry 5
  3. So how much does Dante know? (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived