You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Devil May Cry 5
  3. Is DMC1 better or DMC3(SE)?

User Info: Vamp_Wraith

Vamp_Wraith
2 days ago#1
Which game do you prefer, overall?

I was happy to see most of the GFaqs fan base agrees that DMC1 wipes the floor with DmC, but it got me wondering how well the other DMC juggernauts might fare against eachother.
The one and only true Dante
It's a kinda unfair comparison here imo.

Dmc3 focused on a good narrative, dmc1 focused on a good narrative for it's gameplay n style.

Dmc3 had some gameplay improvement that can only happen thru more experience n better tech. DMC nailed so much on it's first try wit no real template.

Not sayin not to compare em, jus sayin ur polls gonna be skewed prolly. It's fair to like dmc3 more, especially dmc3se. Personally i prefer 1, it's a lot cooler to me. But generally i also think 1 is better for bein more impressive n important for a genre it basically created.
Official GRAVITY of gamefaqs Dark Souls boards.
I believe I, too, have pooped your pants --- R1 Masher

User Info: Delta123456789

Delta123456789
2 days ago#3
While DMC1 began it all and has its own unique horror-esque atmosphere, it was 3 that truly codified the series's gameplay, on top of having brilliant cutscene work, bosses/boss banter and characters. 5 may have topped it in terms of basic gameplay, but it's still the strongest overall package in the series IMO.
If you're a success odds are darned good you got help, support and/or a few second chances along the way, so think long and hard before denying them to others.
DMC1 still has the best actual combat, engagment with dangerous foes, and since that's the most important thing to me I think it's the best one.
A painless lesson is one without meaning.

User Info: snake_5036

snake_5036
2 days ago#5
The DMC1 enemies and bosses are almost all fun to fight while DMC3 has, what, 8 scythe demons? Dullahans? Bosses like Leviathan's Heart with literally only two attacks?

DMC1 plows 3.
You felt your sins weighing down on your neck.
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: OracleGunner

OracleGunner
2 days ago#6
I gotta give it to 3:SE. So much good content. Plus Vergil mode gives it a slight edge. Mind you 1 is close behind it.
The Unofficial Iron Castle That Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. People who got it:6
The Official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.

User Info: Octavarium

Octavarium
2 days ago#7
I'm the guy who doesn't understand all the DMC3 praise and has explicitly said I prefer 1 before so it's a no brainer, instead I'll just rank from best to worst even though I don't outright dislike any of the games (DMC2 is a guilty pleasure - a bad game that I actually enjoyed playing)

5 > 4SE > 1 > 3SE > 2
Devil May Cry in Japanese > Devil May Cry in English.
Currently playing Devil May Cry 5
(message deleted)

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
2 days ago#9
I think while the same genre, the games are so unique in what they offer that its hard to say one is 'better' or worse

I prefer 3 for the things 3 offers
Learning something new everyday

User Info: stage4saiyan

stage4saiyan
2 days ago#10
3 is good, not great. 1 is a masterpiece.
Currently addicted to: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)/ Devil May Cry 5 (PS4)/ Smite (PS4/PC) / Final Fantasy XIV (PC) / Warframe (PC)
  1. Boards
  2. Devil May Cry 5
  3. Is DMC1 better or DMC3(SE)?