• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Devil May Cry 5
  3. Not trying to sound mean...but how did this game get such high reviews?

User Info: Goingghost88

Goingghost88
1 week ago#1
It was the reviews that convinced me to run out and buy this game, but wow do I feel like the crazy high reviews this game was getting doesn’t match up with the actual game. I’m not trying to offend anyone who really likes this game, I just don’t understand the high reviews it got.

Like for me anyway, the levels seem soooo bland, like I feel like I keep going through most of the same levels over and over again. Not as bad as DMC2, but still.

And the invisible walls, omg the invisible walls in this game are insane. I didn’t know games these days still had such an insane use of invisible walls.

It’s sooooooo linear. It just feels so outdated, like they didn’t do much to bring the game to modern times compared to past entries.

I’ll admit I was getting a little burnt out on the Devil May cry series, but again with the high reviews I thought maybe they really improved upon the game or something but I’m not seeing that.

Does anyone else feel the same way? I’m not saying it’s a bad game, I’m just not so sure it warrants the 9/10 review scores I was seeing.

User Info: The_Ninjadillo

The_Ninjadillo
1 week ago#2
Because it's good?
Playing right now: Rune Factory 4

User Info: ZBug_

ZBug_
1 week ago#3
Because DMC is about the combat gameplay, which is top notch. Everything else is just filler between battles.
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" - Light Yagami
NNID: LLBCrook - PSN: ZBugCrook

User Info: GamingVet

GamingVet
1 week ago#4
I love the series and I'm enjoying the game a lot, however I will admit that I felt it is getting higher praise then expected. Still, it's on par with DMC 3.

The only real complaints are some bland environments and the inability to play all characters on every level.

User Info: Girgante

Girgante
1 week ago#5
Goingghost88 posted...
It’s sooooooo linear. It just feels so outdated, like they didn’t do much to bring the game to modern times compared to past entries.

Yeah that's why it's good. It's a breath of fresh air to have a focused design in a game rather than having open world, lots of pointless traversal time, side-quests and all that stuff. Not every game needs it. This game is about the combat, the dev team knows this, and the fans know this - so that's what they gave us.

How can you be burnt out on DMC anyway when we didn't have a main series entry in almost 11 years? And since you played the others, how did you not know what to expect? >_>
No matter what happens, there will be a solution when it happens. - Yoh Asakura, Shaman King
Steam + PSN + NNID: Girgante

User Info: ToveriJuri

ToveriJuri
1 week ago#6
Personally for me this is an easy 9/10 even a 10. But that's because I value gameplay above all.
PSN: ToveriJuri

User Info: Robo_Deer_King

Robo_Deer_King
1 week ago#7
Best of the series, for me at least. Already played through it twice and about 25% through my third play through and still discovering new areas and weapon/mechanics nuances. Not hard to see why it is getting rave reviews.

User Info: VermilionX

VermilionX
1 week ago#8
Lots of people found it good.

Me as well.

8.5/10
CFN: Zerokage me and my bike! GSX-R750 K6
https://imgur.com/5dkx5Ah

User Info: Meatbread248

Meatbread248
1 week ago#9
It’s an action game and the action is good. Great even.
Go figure doofus.

User Info: OracleGunner

OracleGunner
1 week ago#10
Goingghost88 posted...
Like for me anyway, the levels seem soooo bland, like I feel like I keep going through most of the same levels over and over again. Not as bad as DMC2, but still.

I kinda get this, but at the same time it's not horrible. You're in a giant hell tree for the end game, I'd be surprised if there was more than gut tunnels and weird architecture.

Goingghost88 posted...
And the invisible walls, omg the invisible walls in this game are insane. I didn’t know games these days still had such an insane use of invisible walls.

Are there? I mean most of the time you're funneled into arenas with walls.

Goingghost88 posted...

Because every game needs to be open world... f*** that s***.

Goingghost88 posted...
Does anyone else feel the same way?

Some do, most of them are guys that state that there's no weapon switching and such.
The Unofficial Iron Castle That Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. People who got it:6
The Official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.
  1. Boards
  2. Devil May Cry 5
  3. Not trying to sound mean...but how did this game get such high reviews?
  • Topic Archived