You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  3. 360 better than definitive SPOILER

User Info: KAveries87

KAveries87
1 month ago#1
So, I'm just at the part where I'm about to save Estelle from Alexei, and much to my disappointment, I'm finding the definitive version, with the introduction of both Patty and Flynn's respective stories, to be annoying when weighed against the original version. Like, I find that the momentum has changed.

I'm not saying it's bad!

I'm just saying that in contrast against the original version, I find this alternate version to be less appealing. I'm actually wishing there was an option to choose which version you want to play on the start menu because at this point I'm doubting I'll ever want to play Definitive again.
Why are people always overwhelmed or underwhelmed. Why isn't anyone ever just whelmed?
Follow me at http://alifeimagined.blog

User Info: LightOfJudgment

LightOfJudgment
1 month ago#2
What do you mean by “momentum,” exactly? If you mean pacing, then that’s hardly changed outside of a couple of parts having little to do with those characters.
The social landscape is a minefield, and I'm tired of getting blown up.

User Info: KAveries87

KAveries87
4 weeks ago#3
LightOfJudgment posted...
What do you mean by “momentum,” exactly? If you mean pacing, then that’s hardly changed outside of a couple of parts having little to do with those characters.

I couldn't quite figure the word I was looking for. If I had to put it another way, there was a darker tone in the original version that gets offset by Patty and Flynn. Patty often becomes comedy relief (largely because of her voice) in an otherwise serious scene. Flynn is whiny. (in my opinion).

If I had to try and put it into words, this version is 'lighter' in a way that takes away from what I so much enjoyed the first time around to begin with. It's like...going from a Batman game to a Superman one, if that makes any sense?
Why are people always overwhelmed or underwhelmed. Why isn't anyone ever just whelmed?
Follow me at http://alifeimagined.blog

User Info: Annfan

Annfan
4 weeks ago#4
Flynn joins so late, the only difference is what, one scene with Patty? How can his inclusion change that much?

Patty also has very little to say, and has a pretty dark backstory compared to the rest of the cast. I think your issue with her voice is just that, your issue.
Final Fantasy XIII is critically and commercially successful. By all definitions it is one of the best.

User Info: Bloodshed113094

Bloodshed113094
4 weeks ago#5
I disagree.
I shouldn't have to clarify it's my opinion. You should assume that already.

User Info: Rune Caster

Rune Caster
4 weeks ago#6
Bloodshed113094 posted...
I disagree.

I agree, I really wish they just ported the original xbox 360 version. It's the aesthetics concerning the vocal work (which they still haven't fixed), stability issues between the PS4 port and the other game ports (Xbox one/Switch/PC), and overall lack of quality in the definitive edition that makes me ask why did they release it?
You have to be careful with those bulls. For instance...
*is picked up by a bull and placed in the cow launcher* o_0 THWIP-P-P-P AHHHHHHHHHH! - TimeSpaceMage

User Info: BlowerWaffles

BlowerWaffles
4 weeks ago#7
Rune Caster posted...
I disagree.

I agree, I really wish they just ported the original xbox 360 version. It's the aesthetics concerning the vocal work (which they still haven't fixed), stability issues between the PS4 port and the other game ports (Xbox one/Switch/PC), and overall lack of quality in the definitive edition that makes me ask why did they release it?

They released it because of Vesp’s 10th anniversary and the fact that many people were begging for Namco to release it in the west
HA HA HA TIDUS WAVE

User Info: Ace-of-Clubs

Ace-of-Clubs
4 weeks ago#8
KAveries87 posted...
LightOfJudgment posted...

I couldn't quite figure the word I was looking for. If I had to put it another way, there was a darker tone in the original version that gets offset by Patty and Flynn. Patty often becomes comedy relief (largely because of her voice) in an otherwise serious scene. Flynn is whiny. (in my opinion).

If I had to try and put it into words, this version is 'lighter' in a way that takes away from what I so much enjoyed the first time around to begin with. It's like...going from a Batman game to a Superman one, if that makes any sense?

"Lighter?" Patty's inclusion makes the game "lighter"? So a scene in which we come across a cave with hundreds of graves because an entire crew was slaughtered in an infamous tragedy that made the culprit and their assumed granddaughter pariahs makes the game "lighter"? LOL.

Also, the way her story arc ends isn't exactly light and fluffy, either.

And in any case, "lighter" doesn't make the game objectively worse. It just means you liked it less. But to claim that a version with more fighters, artes, bosses, dungeons, etc is "worse" is just silly.
I am Ace-of-Clubs, and I approve this message.
"oh boy I can't wait to date those samurai guys" - FSABot
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Milla_Maxwell

Milla_Maxwell
4 weeks ago#9
A flat out objectively wrong statement if I've ever seen one.

Patty doesn't add too much, aside from giving the ghost ship actual relevance, (she doesn't really hurt pacing or tone in any sense either,) but to say that making Flynn look less incompetent than 360 is a bad thing is just a flat out wrong statement. The game is already bad about making Flynn look incompetent compared to Yuri, and the 360 version only exhasperated that issue.

And this is before taking into account all the extra content and gameplay improvements.
Gamers this generation only work in hyperbole. Something is either god's gift to gaming or a cancerous blight that needs to die in a fire. There's no in between
(edited 4 weeks ago)
BlowerWaffles posted...
Rune Caster posted...
I disagree.

They released it because of Vesp’s 10th anniversary and the fact that many people were begging for Namco to release it in the west

Yeah, the quality of the port and the joy of being able to play it in English are two separate things. I got the Plat on PS3, but I never stopped hoping for this release. The technical issues are bad, but the dub isn't as bad as people are saying and the game itself is better with the inclusions.
I shouldn't have to clarify it's my opinion. You should assume that already.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  3. 360 better than definitive SPOILER