You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  3. How challenging is the Hard difficulty

User Info: dvd_1302

dvd_1302
4 weeks ago#1
I just got this game and would like to know how challenging the hard difficulty is and if its balanced in terms of difficulty vs rewards.

I have played most Tales games but it's been so long that can't really recall the jump in difficulty between normal and hard.

I can vividly recall beating and enjoying Symphonia on hard and at no point did I feel over leveled or over powered, grace and xillia 1 & 2 were a complete blur to me I beat them but can hardly recall anything about the difficulty on those or much on the game for that matter.

I finished Berseria last year and I recall not liking the hard setting because a) I got over leveled really fast since beating monsters on hard was easy with the MC abilities and b) the rare drop equipments etc. made things easier.

Since the game came out around the Symphonia era just wanted to know if playing on hard will give you that challenge but won't overcompensate you for doing so like really fast levels and top items.

User Info: Rune Caster

Rune Caster
4 weeks ago#2
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/241013-tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition/faqs/76752/miscellaneous-gameplay-and-mechanics#search-points
You have to be careful with those bulls. For instance...
*is picked up by a bull and placed in the cow launcher* o_0 THWIP-P-P-P AHHHHHHHHHH! - TimeSpaceMage

User Info: supertortaman

supertortaman
4 weeks ago#3
Yes, doing a hard mode in your first run will be very challenging and fun. It will get a bit easier as you gain skills and get more gald, but still a very decent challenge.

Go for it, normal mode is just too easy anyway
FC 3ds: 4742-5145-1003

User Info: Koro-Pok-Guru

Koro-Pok-Guru
4 weeks ago#4
Long story short: It is similar to what you experienced with Symphonia.

I finished Berseria last year and I recall not liking the hard setting because a) I got over leveled really fast since beating monsters on hard was easy with the MC abilities and b) the rare drop equipments etc. made things easier.

While I respect and understand your point of view, those are honestly bad arguments.

a) If you find Velvet too OP, just don't play as her.
+ Higher difficulties actually reduce the experience won, which means unless you fight too much, you wouldn't be overleveled. Far from it actually.
Your feelings are totally legit tho (Velvet feels OP, boss are overall weak, and Hard difficulty is not enough to face a decent challenge as an experienced Tales player, especially if you play her), but what you explain don't really match the problem you faced and mostly show that you caused this issue.

b) The rare equipments do not make things easier per se. A rare drop would give you a new Master Skill, a passive ability to make you slightly stronger. At no point a rare drop by itself represent a difference so huge that the game becomes easier. It doesn't work that way.
Increasing the difficulty would make you drop better random bonuses tho, but that wouldn't happen and be meaningful enough to break the game before late game (once you've unlocked the last level of random bonuses and the best of them), and Hard difficulty would hardly change anything anyway. The problem here would be that you were abusing crafting, making an already easy game, easier.

__

So why am I bringing those points up?
Well, while it's not a secret that I'm fond of Berseria, my goal here is not to defend the game, but to be helpful and warn you. What I just explained shows that you probably like to fight a lot and (ab)use the equipment system to your advantage (which is normal for a Tales player).

The thing is, in Vesperia. If you fight too much in order to collect materials useful for synthesis, you'll probably end up overleveled too. Same things if you're too aware of Arte Usage effects (Rita's Fireball is crazy DPS wise with enough use).

You have ways to be more effective as you farm, and you can eventually nerf your dmg output in order to make fights longer. Just be aware that the problems you pointed out were more tied to your behaviour than to the game. Which mean it could eventually happen in any game.

As far as I remember, Symphonia's crafting system wouldn't make you farm too much (until end game at least). The option to transform Grade Points into materials was a gigantic fraud tho. Vesperia is different, and it's imo easy to overdo it in order to avoid material shortage in the future.
Luckily, bosses are better than in Berseria, so you'll always have a decent challenge at some point. But contrary to Berseria you won't unlock additionnal difficulties before the final boss, and the only challenge dangerous encouters have is the number of opponents. Which is only a problem at the begining of the game with no stagger protection and few useful skills at your disposal.
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shinyuki
Tales of Innocence R help & tips topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/643157-tales-of-innocence-r/77149633

User Info: Minaru44

Minaru44
4 weeks ago#5
As someone who played Vesperia for the first time with this version and jumping straight into Hard difficulty, I'll just say this...

The beginning can be brutal until you get a handle on the battle system, get more skills, party members etc. Don't be surprised if you end up failing the very first tutortial battle. Because if you come in fresh and don't quite know how to handle Yuri solo fights (which frankly are the biggest pain in the early stages), those can be really overwhelming and there are quite a few of them. Those and a certain noob killer on Hard are about the biggest hurdle. As the game opens up, things get a lot easier and once you get past the end of Arc 2, it becomes fairly simple actually.

Overall I enjoyed the tougher difficulty, even if a lot of it felt somewhat artificial. I came into this from VC4 and DQXI (no Draconian mode) which were both very far from challenging and having to actually work on things for once was refreshing. How hard the game remains in the last Arc and Postgame somewhat depends on your party of choice etc. Some combinations will have it harder than others. Mine (Yuri, eventually with Uber Fell Arm, Gamble Cast Patty, Rita and Estelle) literally walked all over it, so the challenge was largely gone by that point.

I would definitely advise doing it though. NG+ bonuses will pretty much get rid of whatever challenge Hard difficulty provides and at least this way, you need to actually learn certain aspects early on which will only help you later on. Compared to say Xillia which was so easy I barely even bother to learn the sidestep thingie since it was largely unnecessary, you actually have to put in an effort.
FC: 3841-0076-6306, IGN (USUM): Aurora
My Sheet: https://goo.gl/U1qVzv Looking for legit/uncloned Shinies and 0 Speed Primals

User Info: dvd_1302

dvd_1302
4 weeks ago#6
I get your point Minaru44. I lost the first tutorial battle on Hard, I switched it to Normal and changed back to hard once I got 1 extra party member.

It also didn't help that when the MC gets knocked down he does this handstand spin when he gets back up which takes a while and you can get combo but a boss or group of monsters. Hopefully there is a knockdown recover skill/tech.

All in all I'm enjoying this game so far, I do enjoy the old school battle system rather than the newer tales one.

User Info: Minaru44

Minaru44
4 weeks ago#7
I did the same and for the mentioned noob killer as well. At that point it was mostly an issue that I wanted to keep going and also had a certain plan on when I wanted to be done with the main game rather than not willing to try and get through that fight on Hard.

For solo battles your best bet is to learn how to mix up Free Run, Azure Edge spam and seperating enemies for a couple of swings to widdle them down one by one. Don't ever let yourself get caught in attacks or you fall faster than you'd believe. That's something you will have to learn since there are more of these (and with more enemies as well).
FC: 3841-0076-6306, IGN (USUM): Aurora
My Sheet: https://goo.gl/U1qVzv Looking for legit/uncloned Shinies and 0 Speed Primals

User Info: haimara

haimara
4 weeks ago#8
solo fights are the most frustrating thing. Especially when there's more than 1 enemy so you can never reliably combo anything. Run away, azure edge, repeat is the only strategy i've ever had work and it takes a long long time

other than that though, there's probably just 1 boss that gave me trouble, and gaining a couple levels and I got through just fine. died a lot, but made it

I'd go with hard because 90% of the game it's about perfect, you just have to struggle through the few parts that get hella frustrating

User Info: TyrantLowKey

TyrantLowKey
3 weeks ago#9
haimara posted...
solo fights are the most frustrating thing. Especially when there's more than 1 enemy so you can never reliably combo anything. Run away, azure edge, repeat is the only strategy i've ever had work and it takes a long long time

other than that though, there's probably just 1 boss that gave me trouble, and gaining a couple levels and I got through just fine. died a lot, but made it

I'd go with hard because 90% of the game it's about perfect, you just have to struggle through the few parts that get hella frustrating

Hated the solo fight right before SM 7 boss fight. Just hitting and running all fight for a long time. I think the boss fight itself took less time then that stupidity. I learned on my other playthrough that void attack can help in solo fights but still it’s rather hard taking on multiple enemies solo on hard. I guess the difficulty lives up to its name. Having a real difficult time right now on SM 19 boss fight. I am tempted to turn the difficulty down but I was able to beat him before so I am hoping I can get by and I asked for help also so maybe someone can give some good suggestions or I might just power level which isn’t very hard at Zaude.
Top Games: FFX Int, FFXIII, Shdw Hrts gms, SMT: Noctrn, OT(NS), ToVDE, ToGF, TotA, ToH R, ToS, [FFT WotL, TO] PSP, Xenogears, Chrno Trigr, ARF (Wii), LO 360) P5
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  3. How challenging is the Hard difficulty