• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  3. People who started in English then switched to Japanese...

User Info: XxGhaleonxX

XxGhaleonxX
2 months ago#11
zetsuhimoze posted...
Have to ask. Why make this topic if you don't think that the Japanese voices are better. If you really didn't think that was the case you wouldn't have switched to Japanese voices in the first spot. So I guess my real question is why did you switch to the Japanese voices.

The inconsistent switch between the VAs. Before @Annfan has another stroke: I thought that the English recast was fine. No problems in the quality of the job Grant did in the videos I saw and gate scene. Usually when a movie/show/anything is re-cast, they will just use that new person going forward. Not splice in unused footage/recording of the old person with the new one in it “seamlessly.”

Not the VAs fault, not saying the Japanese cast is better. Just more consistent... well because they are. It’s a fact. It’s just lazy on Bamco’s part. Then again, they’ve always sort of mistreated the Tales series in the west so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.
PlayStation: AcetonSkyhigh
Switch: SW-0738-7544-2985

User Info: goodlyoak

goodlyoak
2 months ago#12
XxGhaleonxX posted...
goodlyoak posted...
I made it all the way to the end of the game don't know why anyone would use Japanese voices unless they understand Japanese.

You beat it in one day?! Holy s***! I want proof what’s your PSN ID? Also what about foreign films with no dub? Do you just avoid those?

It was a joke lol, but I don't plan on switching. I watched a few anime that was JP voice only, but that's only because there was no English dub available.
Gandalf the Istari 2 months ago#13
The english voice acting is really good except for Grant George tbh.
Currently playing: DQ Heroes

User Info: XxGhaleonxX

XxGhaleonxX
2 months ago#14
Gandalf the Istari posted...

Oh I love the original cast of the game, no question. One of the best dubs I’ve ever heard in a JRPG hands down. And I thought Grant was fine aside from my one nitpick earlier. Shoulda just had him redub the whole thing so then it wouldn’t sound like some Frankenstein performance bulls*** to me.
PlayStation: AcetonSkyhigh
Switch: SW-0738-7544-2985

User Info: TantrumBull

TantrumBull
2 months ago#15
I'm more curious to know why they made it so we always have to select the language when the game loads instead of just making it so it can be changed in the options screen at any time. so many games out there that let you change the voice language in the options screen but namco made it so we can't with this one.
My new youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAHqGosIo4Jme30cwZYycVw?view_as=subscriber

User Info: goodlyoak

goodlyoak
2 months ago#16
TantrumBull posted...
I'm more curious to know why they made it so we always have to select the language when the game loads instead of just making it so it can be changed in the options screen at any time. so many games out there that let you change the voice language in the options screen but namco made it so we can't with this one.

They've been doing that for awhile now.

User Info: slipknotman 666

slipknotman 666
2 months ago#17
I switched after 5 minutes because I didn't think Troy Baker's voice suited Yuri's appearance, having just watched the prequel anime which features a seiyuu with less of a deep voice. Troy's a great VA though, I can't knock him.
"That vulnerability is completely theoretical." - Microsoft
L0pht, Making the theoretical practical since 1992

User Info: chrcol

chrcol
2 months ago#18
I dont think grant is necessarily a bad actor either, the problem is he is a "different" actor to troy and as such cannot play the same personality. Troy does seem to fit yuri so well as well of course, which means its a hard act to follow.

For sure can tell he is different, but been honest after I concentrated on just playing the game instead of analysing his voice, I am getting by in the game and dealing with it. Its no way bad enough for me that I feel I have to change languages or cut the voice audio.

User Info: Juliansgirl

Juliansgirl
2 months ago#19
I started in Japanese cause English reminds me too much of the drama!
I’m sure yuri sounds fine and all.
The problem is the switching back and forth
It’s small thing to even worry about.
Gandalf the Istari 2 months ago#20
XxGhaleonxX posted...
Gandalf the Istari posted...

Oh I love the original cast of the game, no question. One of the best dubs I’ve ever heard in a JRPG hands down. And I thought Grant was fine aside from my one nitpick earlier. Shoulda just had him redub the whole thing so then it wouldn’t sound like some Frankenstein performance bulls*** to me.

Ehhh they could have just actually asked Troy to even take part in the project.
Currently playing: DQ Heroes
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  3. People who started in English then switched to Japanese...
  • Topic Archived