You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  3. IMO, Sekiro isn't fun the first playthrough

User Info: PressRestart

PressRestart
1 week ago#1
In my first playthrough I was slogging. I didn't spoil anything so I was always worried I was missing something like in Souls.
A lot of the combat mechanics were annoying, the game definitely punishes you for playing it for the first time. It's brutal to learn and when you think you have it down, it throws something at you that makes you have to rethink what you just did.
It purposely misleads you so that you die, but it's clever enough to make it feel like your fault.
There's no way to just overlevel and power through it, you have to actually 'get gud'.
It's not fun.

However, once you finally make it through the game (I got the Shura ending the first time because I realized it was the bad ending and just wanted to go into NG+), NG+ is much, much better.
Knowing that you explored the area, knowing how to beat most of the enemies, knowing you're not missing anything and just enjoying the ride is much more rewarding in this game than any other souls game in my opinion.
It really is about testing your skills against bosses, and the most fun way to do it is with a full arsenal, upgrades, skills to use, etc. Once you know how a boss works and have room to experiment and know what's happening in the plot, it just becomes a fun game.

Working toward my 'good' run of the game after getting through Shura left me something to look forward to, while still keeping me unspoiled on most of the bosses later on. I wasn't full on vitality, my attack power was low, I struggled against the last Shura bosses, but once I started my next run everything clicked.

If anyone is struggling to get through the game, I highly recommend just going for the bad ending if you can access it and trying again. NG+ is tough if you're not fully upgraded, but it's actually a lot less tough than your first time around and you'll know how to access everything in the majority of the game.

Also, don't be afraid to look stuff up. Prosthetic tools etc. If you're struggling with the game and really think something would help you,find out how to get it.
I'm all about avoiding spoilers, I don't normally use guides, but for Souls games there's a lot of convoluted things that you may not find on your own and running around everywhere blind is a big turn off.
The False Prophet of the Nintendo 3DS Board.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Xethuminra

Xethuminra
1 week ago#2
Yep.

You will get frustrated with Sekiro when you are losing. That is incorrect. A true gamer gets frustrated when they are winning and strives for more from the game.

User Info: PressRestart

PressRestart
1 week ago#3
Xethuminra posted...
Yep.

You will get frustrated with Sekiro when you are losing. That is incorrect. A true gamer gets frustrated when they are winning and strives for more from the game.

There's a difference between losing because you're underpowered and left in the dark and losing because you refuse to learn.

There's a difference between winning because you're knowledgeable about a fight and the game's mechanics and winning because it's easy.

Winning because you know the game mechanics doesn't mean the game is easy, it means it's a good game that gives you a variety of ways to tackle a fight once you know it.
That being said, when you don't know it and you're on your first playthrough with no knowledge, dying 100 times to the same boss until you figure out a trick is not fun, and the rewarding feeling of winning does not outweigh the time spent. The first run is full of frustration and negative emotions rather than a fun and unique experience that you'd look for in a new game, which you only really get in NG+ with more skills and all tools unlocked.
The False Prophet of the Nintendo 3DS Board.

Xethuminra
1 week ago#4
With Lazulite upgrades, NG++ is more tantalizing than ever. I always say the first run is just a tutorial. Sorry for these short blurbs btw. I needa coffee.

If you don’t wanna play the game, just don’t lol. Come back to it after you clarify your vision in another world, perhaps.

I wanted Sekiro, for all that it is, and all that it isn’t, from the start. I do respect Miyazaki’s vision.

#onemind

User Info: Thedude1

Thedude1
1 week ago#5
PressRestart posted...
In my first playthrough I was slogging. I didn't spoil anything so I was always worried I was missing something like in Souls.
A lot of the combat mechanics were annoying, the game definitely punishes you for playing it for the first time. It's brutal to learn and when you think you have it down, it throws something at you that makes you have to rethink what you just did.
It purposely misleads you so that you die, but it's clever enough to make it feel like your fault.
There's no way to just overlevel and power through it, you have to actually 'get gud'.
It's not fun.

However, once you finally make it through the game (I got the Shura ending the first time because I realized it was the bad ending and just wanted to go into NG+), NG+ is much, much better.
Knowing that you explored the area, knowing how to beat most of the enemies, knowing you're not missing anything and just enjoying the ride is much more rewarding in this game than any other souls game in my opinion.
It really is about testing your skills against bosses, and the most fun way to do it is with a full arsenal, upgrades, skills to use, etc. Once you know how a boss works and have room to experiment and know what's happening in the plot, it just becomes a fun game.

Working toward my 'good' run of the game after getting through Shura left me something to look forward to, while still keeping me unspoiled on most of the bosses later on. I wasn't full on vitality, my attack power was low, I struggled against the last Shura bosses, but once I started my next run everything clicked.

If anyone is struggling to get through the game, I highly recommend just going for the bad ending if you can access it and trying again. NG+ is tough if you're not fully upgraded, but it's actually a lot less tough than your first time around and you'll know how to access everything in the majority of the game.

Also, don't be afraid to look stuff up. Prosthetic tools etc. If you're struggling with the game and really think something would help you,find out how to get it.
I'm all about avoiding spoilers, I don't normally use guides, but for Souls games there's a lot of convoluted things that you may not find on your own and running around everywhere blind is a big turn off.

You used a lot of words TC, when all you really had to say was that you want an easy difficulty.

Xethuminra
1 week ago#6
We stand alone.

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
1 week ago#7
It's a lot of fun starting a new game from scratch after you have learned how to play the game properly in your first couple of playthroughs.

Like most games with a NG mode, I get really bored with how easy most of NG+ is in Sekiro. I suppose it gets tougher later on but I can fly through the game in NG+1.
"Tether even a roasted chicken."
- Yamamote Tsunetomo

User Info: dantemundus81

dantemundus81
1 week ago#8
sfcalimari posted...
It's a lot of fun starting a new game from scratch after you have learned how to play the game properly in your first couple of playthroughs.

Like most games with a NG mode, I get really bored with how easy most of NG+ is in Sekiro. I suppose it gets tougher later on but I can fly through the game in NG+1.

Agreed.

There’s something so satisfying about being able to deflect everything that’s thrown at you and defeat a boss whilst taking no damage. I don’t get the same feeling in NG+ as you’re pretty op by then and there’s no real sense of danger. For me NG+ is more about using the fully upgraded prosthetics. That lazulite flamethrower looks so damn cool.

User Info: pmort

pmort
1 week ago#9
dantemundus81 posted...
sfcalimari posted...

Agreed.

There’s something so satisfying about being able to deflect everything that’s thrown at you and defeat a boss whilst taking no damage. I don’t get the same feeling in NG+ as you’re pretty op by then and there’s no real sense of danger. For me NG+ is more about using the fully upgraded prosthetics. That lazulite flamethrower looks so damn cool.

Get to NG+ 7 where your posture gets built in no time (ORin and Owl 1 can easily max it in a couple of seconds) and you can get dropped in two hits, or straight up one shot in some cases. And if that’s still too easy, then get rid of kuro’s charm.

While I still enjoyed the game the first time, I’m with the OP, I’m having way more fun on NG+ playthroughs. I keep going for a no-resurrect run by fighting all available bosses/minibosses in the good endings and get close but usually there’s one fight that I f*** up on. Once I do that I’ll think about starting fresh to truly see how much harder that actually is. Since I never use combat arts at all and really only rely on some of the latent skills, I can’t think it’d be that bad.

User Info: RayKnight

RayKnight
1 week ago#10
Xethuminra posted...
Yep.

Yes, I was waiting for that one game that will break others. My friend said he quit Dark Souls because it was just too tough, so I picked it up and I was awed...I bested the game.

Now Sekiro is the new challenger!
I didn't kill him. He seemed like a pretty decent guy.
But I did shoot him in the testicles.
- enjoi_number8 on AF, RDR
  1. Boards
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  3. IMO, Sekiro isn't fun the first playthrough