• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  3. What is the novelty here in the combat system

User Info: firebravo

firebravo
2 months ago#1
That makes it different than bloodborne and the souls games

User Info: neccis

neccis
2 months ago#2
Besides the whole prosthetic arm thing, the sword play looks great. The clashing of swords seems very presice with an extremely fast rythmic feel to it that Souls doesn't really have.
The skill tree with different unlockable moves is another thing I think that's really going to set it apart.
There's quite a bit of novelty going on as far as a From Software game goes.
PSN: siccen_
splits open to reveal jam

User Info: FreshSushi

FreshSushi
2 months ago#3
mandatory parries
LoL: (Malz), SF5: (Ryu)
Top 5: RE4, Dark Souls, MMBN3, HK, Pokemon Yellow

User Info: Rizeroth

Rizeroth
2 months ago#4
Take bloodborne or any souls/nioh game and take one class and design the enemies, combat and map around that one specific class leading to deeper combat and more exaggerated enemies but only one class. In this case a ninja.

So you won't have to relearn new builds and classes, only one class and one "main" weapon. But you will have more exaggerated enemies with better and meaningful encounters, including unique ones like flying enemies. More items and skills to help modify your playstyle with the katana. And sword fights themselves will be tighter and more satisfying than souls.

Prosthetics seem to be the main modifier or wild card. They help you defeat certain enemy types that katana alone won't be able to. Different enemies are weak to different prosthetic. You can change prosthetics mid fight without returning to bonfires.

Posture system is introduced where you have to break an enemy's guard to be able to deal the killing blow. This is based on a ninja philosophy. And add to the deeper sword play, fights seem more real. There are mid and high rank bosses that do have health bars. Bosses can also have multiple health bars.

Stealth is another one of your tools that you are encouraged to use.
Zelda is a freaking NINJA!!

User Info: owenmatthew

owenmatthew
2 months ago#5
FreshSushi posted...
mandatory parries

This, in a nutshell.
a rose by any other name would smell as sweet

User Info: jky7702

jky7702
2 months ago#6
You can jump, throw a star in the air and do a double slash. Counter with mikiri, forward + dodge. Other unlockables like mikiri, left + dodge, etc

You can jump and use any attack including prosthetic and sometimes its a unique move. Grapple to enemy attack, unlockable sword arts L1 and R1. Prosthetic combos with r2 into r1.

Grapple hook to deaggro or get the jump on opponent, strategic. Stealth, bloodsmoke and other skills. You can charge r1 at any point in your 5 hit combo for an r2 heavy attack.

Posture system, different deathblows depending on position/situation.

Some attacks must be either jumped, dodged or mikiri'ed depending on enemy attack.

Situation: jump, throw star into double slash, sword art. Too many so grapple escape, get behind and drop down to thin numbers, use bloodsmoke to blind and take out others. Now only miniboss left, Parry, parry, posture break, deathblow.

Thats sekiro, its about encounters and how you manage them. Killing ingeniously.

firebravo
2 months ago#7
I hear that you might not be able to just dodge....

and that the game is a clash of swords

User Info: jky7702

jky7702
2 months ago#8
firebravo posted...

Some attacks show indicator above enemy. Thrust attack can be dodged or mikiri ( step on their sword), sweeping attack must be jumped over.

Both attacks can be parried but timing is extremely strict. Must be perfect parry

Also dodging doesnt deplete or pause enemy posture. Must parry or attack to deplete enemy posture.

firebravo
2 months ago#9
jky7702 posted...
firebravo posted...

Some attacks show indicator above enemy. Thrust attack can be dodged or mikiri ( step on their sword), sweeping attack must be jumped over.

Both attacks can be parried but timing is extremely strict. Must be perfect parry

Also dodging doesnt deplete or pause enemy posture. Must parry or attack to deplete enemy posture.

so you have to be more aggressive in the game

because i assume if you back off, they will recover their posture?

User Info: neccis

neccis
2 months ago#10
firebravo posted...
jky7702 posted...
firebravo posted...

so you have to be more aggressive in the game

because i assume if you back off, they will recover their posture?

Yep
PSN: siccen_
splits open to reveal jam
  1. Boards
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  3. What is the novelty here in the combat system
  • Topic Archived