The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 76
  3. I think this game might be the tipping point for modern gaming's decline.

User Info: GangrenousKhan

GangrenousKhan
1 month ago#1
Take this, Squeenix's product placement simulator (FFXV- a ten year undertaking!), Sony and Nintendo's reluctance to put their enormous backlog of classic games onto their newer consoles (like what was done for the PS3-Wii generation) and the building of whole games around microtransactions.

It is kind of like the Decline of the Roman Empire where after it became so wealthy and powerful it started to capsize into itself because it forgot its long-cherished values. That is what modern gaming is today.

Edit: Oh yeah, and how about that garbage about having games (and much needed updates) having to be online all the time for it to work properly. Isn't modern gaming wonderful?
"He raged at the world, at his family, at his life. But mostly he just raged." - Raging Goblin flavor text, Magic the Gathering Card

User Info: godslayer88

godslayer88
1 month ago#2
Sorry, but that is not what's happening, sadly. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the devs and publishers are conditioning us to cater to their needs. And they mainly target the new generation. A very clever and sinister plan that takes some years to come to fruition. You and me, we're old enough to know that games don't need to be like this. But the new generation doesn't. You see, in about 10 years from now this new generation isn't gonna mind lootboxes, thinks MTX in every game is normal, and season passes, day 1 patches, half-assed releases of buggy games, they will all think this is normal. Because they haven't seen it any other way. And that right there is what greedy game publishers are aiming for. Because that means they can get away with anything and everything. Right now, they're biding their time, training the new generation for the future.
Last month I lost 10 pounds of weight.
But it's alright, I found them again.

User Info: Locke90

Locke90
1 month ago#3
Overdramatic rubbish tc.
Friend code 3222-6836-6888

User Info: Canneddog

Canneddog
1 month ago#4
So true, gaming is in a decline and the new norm is to put out cheaply made games to milk as much money out of people as possible. Look at the game,
No NPCs, save money
Same ancient Engine, save money
Cut and paste a lot of FO4, save money
Always online, No free mods, Sell MTXs (what would be free nexus mods off line)
Bethesda has just been itching to have paid mods, 1st the fail with Steam, Then Creation Crap, Now this game. I'm Sure they were thinking how modding has become so important to their games and wanted the whole pie...sooo online we go with a cheaply made game to sell mods. To me IMO, support for this only emboldens Bethesda to make worse and worse games.

User Info: ObsceneAnarchy

ObsceneAnarchy
1 month ago#5
2018 has been a terrible year for gaming. Don't think I even bought a NEW game this year, just older titles that included DLC that were on sale because I like getting the ENTIRE game when I make a purchase.
Brawl #: 2019-9336-9320

User Info: vanille987

vanille987
1 month ago#6
The thing is that gaming now (e.g. modern gaming) is bigger then the industry ever was, of course you will have companies trying to milk it via different means. Does these bad peas make modern gaming as a whole god-awfull? no, as there are still more then enough devs using the advantages of moder technology to create truly great games, games that could have never been realised in previous generations. (RDR2, zelda BOTW, mario oddysey,... just to name a few)

Gamers tend to overeact when things don’t go their way, fallout 76 is a experimental multiplayer spin-off fallout not supposed to reflect how upcoming bethesda games are going to be. But of course gamers like to think it’s an conspiracy to ‘teach’ gamers how to not care about micro-transaction etc.

User Info: TrashPandaJedi

TrashPandaJedi
1 month ago#7
Agreed. I miss good old days then we got 3 hours long games for 80 dollars.
http://i.imgur.com/mLhEeaZ.gifv
Death Road to Canada = 10/10

User Info: DarkFlameSusano

DarkFlameSusano
1 month ago#8
We still have CDPR to save gaming.
PSN: Zero__Loveless
FC: 3840-7355-2865

User Info: Fleabyte

Fleabyte
1 month ago#9
Canneddog posted...
So true, gaming is in a decline and the new norm is to put out cheaply made games to milk as much money out of people as possible. Look at the game,
No NPCs, save money
Same ancient Engine, save money
Cut and paste a lot of FO4, save money
Always online, No free mods, Sell MTXs (what would be free nexus mods off line)
Bethesda has just been itching to have paid mods, 1st the fail with Steam, Then Creation Crap, Now this game. I'm Sure they were thinking how modding has become so important to their games and wanted the whole pie...sooo online we go with a cheaply made game to sell mods. To me IMO, support for this only emboldens Bethesda to make worse and worse games.

So much ignorance in this post. Let me ask you, how does “no NPCs” save money?

User Info: neji721

neji721
1 month ago#10
GangrenousKhan posted...
Take this, Squeenix's product placement simulator (FFXV- a ten year undertaking!),

Sony and Nintendo's reluctance to put their enormous backlog of classic games onto their newer consoles (like what was done for the PS3-Wii generation)

You realize that ff15 was actually made in a much shorter time right? At one point they ditched everything, and hired new people essentially starting at point zero. The brought in a new producer. This was just development hell, and not 10 years of working on 1 build of a game.

You also mention about backwards compatibility, but in the end of that was a main concern xbox would be leagues over ps4 as nearly every game is backwards compatible.

We are actually being ushered into a new wave of gaming which I'm excited for, so I respectfully disagree. I'm enjoying the gamepass mentality xbox is taking on with gaming as a service. Instead of buying 2 games a year, j get gamepass for that amount of time. The Netflix of gaming is great. I just randomly played megaman 1-10 because it was available for example.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 76
  3. I think this game might be the tipping point for modern gaming's decline.
  • Topic Archived