This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu!
  3. Is Gen V still the most hated new set of Pokemon?

User Info: aryanbrar

aryanbrar
3 months ago#31
Gen 5 is the worse until you play gen 6/7

User Info: IceCreamOnStero

IceCreamOnStero
3 months ago#32
pichuscute posted...
IceCreamOnStero posted...
Gen 1 had the worst mons.
And worst games

*best
*best

Sorry dude, just can't see how more than half the roster just being either an object with eyes/just an animal is the best.

I also don't see how a game as broken and terribly designed like RBY are the best.
"All true Fire Emblem fans hate Fire Emblem" - The Fir Coat
"Close your acount" - KinoTFS

User Info: bluebeans

bluebeans
3 months ago#33
pichuscute posted...
And worst games

*best
*best

I also don't see how a game as broken and terribly designed like RBY are the worst.

But you just said it was the worst.
Everyone from Smogon is better than you.

User Info: pichuscute

pichuscute
3 months ago#34
pichuscute posted...
And worst games

*best
*best

Sorry dude, just can't see how more than half the roster just being either an object with eyes/just an animal is the best.

I also don't see how a game as broken and terribly designed like RBY are the best.

That means half the roster isn't those things, which is a very high amount given that we're looking at 151 Pokemon. Most other generations have 10-20 decent Pokemon (or less more recently), with the rest ranging from meh to insulting.

RBY allowed player freedom and the ability to abuse RPG gameplay (which meant very satisfying rewards for players who mastered the systems in the game). It rewarded exploration and the knowing the game more-so than they do now, even if some of that was by glitches like Missingno. The majority of the game, however, was designed like a proper single player JRPG. This is something that was dropped entirely after generations 2 or 3, which caused the quality of Pokemon story modes to plummet dramatically. RBY did have some combat glitches, though, and move pools that were slightly too limited.

Edit: Also, I said "best", but you could totally make a good case for generation 2 being a strict improvement over 1.
Looking forward to: FFVIIR, Metroid Prime 4, SMTV, Daemon x Machina, Octopath Traveler.
Fav series: Zelda, Mario Kart, WipEout, Custom Robo, SMT, Final Fantasy.

User Info: Deadinsideman

Deadinsideman
3 months ago#35
My only gripe with the gen 5 dex was making the elemental monkeys into three different mons just to arbitrarily raise the dex number when they could've easily been like Burmy or Oricorio

All the other problems like rehashes, unnecessary middle stages, unrealistic proportions are just things that apply to every gen

spikethedevil posted...
Gen 1 literally had.

A magnet.
Three magnets stuck together.
A pokeball.
An upside down pokeball.
Purple sludge.
Bigger purple sludge.
Pink slime.
A boulder with arms.
Mr Mime.

Most of these are s*** but you have to also take into consideration that this was back when gamefreak was inexperienced and only knew how to rip off dragon quest designs

After two decades they no longer have an excuse for Raticate tier garbage like Lycanroc and Toucannon

User Info: HeartOfSteel

HeartOfSteel
3 months ago#36
tadashii18 posted...
Wait, people hated gen 5??? There were soo many good 'mons. And I loved the story. Maybe I'm so fond of it though because it's where I first got into competitive Pokemon battling.

most of the mons in it are either furry bait like Keledeo or just blatant copies of Gen 1 like the Tympole line and Poliwag line
Hi everyone, I'm a dude living in Florida who enjoys video games and history. My fav games are Pokemon and CSGO. My fav anime is Death Note.

User Info: Deadinsideman

Deadinsideman
3 months ago#37
WitchBaby4200 posted...
. A fetus Pokémon? Seriously? Why.

But Mew and Mewtwo are gen one mons

HeartOfSteel posted...
are either furry bait like Keledeo

The only real furbait designs are Serperior, Zoroark, Meinshao, Virizion and Keldeo and all of them besides Keldeo still range from decent to cool

User Info: GuitaristMatt

GuitaristMatt
3 months ago#38
Gen 5 has some really good Pokemon that make up for the bad. Ice Cream is pretty unforgivable.

Keys make sense because of the Japanese monster mythology. You interact with them everyday and then they become alive..

On the other hand, gen 7 has some lame Pokemon, and very little to make up for it. Alolan Pokemon do help the situation, but that's cheating because nostalgia bait.

Gen 6 went quality over quantity and besides chespin, they did a fantastic job.
PC | PS4 | Vita | PS3 | PSP | PS2 | PS1 | NS | Wii U | New 3DS | Wii | DS lite | GCN + GBP | GBA SP | GBA | GBC | SNES | GB | NES | 360

User Info: Legendary_Musas

Legendary_Musas
3 months ago#39
6/7 has worse designs and a pitiful amount of new Pokemon. They do have some standouts though.

imo in terms of Poke designs

Gen 4>2>5>1>3>7>6
Pokemon Ultra Sun Team: Incineroar, Starmie, Ampharos, Flygon, Hawlucha, Alolan Ninetails

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
3 months ago#40
Deadinsideman posted...
My only gripe with the gen 5 dex was making the elemental monkeys into three different mons just to arbitrarily raise the dex number when they could've easily been like Burmy or Oricorio

Not really: their exact point was being 3 different mons connected to each other via theme (the 3 wise monkeys) and their Typing relation with the Starter Types: you have to face a Gym Leader that's strong against you, but, if you're smart enough to look around, you get a monkey that's strong Vs that Leader who'd be at an advantage.

Making them all into one mon therefore wouldn't work, and if you meant to make them the same mon, but with 3 different forms with 3 different Typings.. Why? That's far worse padding than what this would be if it actually was padding.

Deadinsideman posted...
All the other problems apply to every gen

Well, at least you're one of the seemingly few who understand this. I'd argue they aren't really (all) problems, but that's another matter.

Deadinsideman posted...
After two decades they no longer have an excuse for Raticate tier garbage like Lycanroc and Toucannon

As opposed to giving us garbage tier like Greninja, every Mega and most of the UBs, Hawlucha, Trumbeak.. Simplistic designs aren't necessarily terrible, and heck, from the perspective of design "focal points" (even though I'm not an expert on the matter), you're usually better off with simplistic than the opposite.

HeartOfSteel posted...
most of the mons in it are either furry bait like Keledeo or just blatant copies of Gen 1 like the Tympole line and Poliwag line

This is the sort of s*** that doesn't make any sense: yes, they might have been too blatant with a few parallelisms, but Gen 5 isn't specifically copying Gen 1 as a whole: the roster is simply composed of recurring tropes/in-game roles, just like every other Gen: it's more noticeable to people who don't look deep into it because other Gens mix in new mons in old roles with outright old mons, which is arguably lazier.

Of course, I'm not advocating for all new mons in the same roles every time; but it made perfect sense for the detached Unova Region to be all new, world-building-wise.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu!
  3. Is Gen V still the most hated new set of Pokemon?
  • Topic Archived