Why do people believe it is impossible for a Pokémon game to fail?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu!
  3. Why do people believe it is impossible for a Pokémon game to fail?

User Info: supermichael11

supermichael11
5 days ago#1
I have been seeing reply such as “This game won’t fail, it is Pokémon”, “It is Pokémon it will sell by truck loads”. I mean seriously I know Pokémon is a huge brand, but how can people claim it is impossible for Pokémon to fail? If GameFreak keep being cheap and lazy while charging full $60 people will eventually get bored of GameFreak and stop buying their game.

- Dragon Ball is a huge brand, yet certain games failed.
- Rare is a huge brand, yet their games fail.
- Capcom is a huge brand, yet their MvC4 failed.
- Skylander was popular with the kids due to the toy being playable, yet it is dead.
- Sega is a huge brand, yet certain Sonic games fails badly.

There are more companies I just can’t remember.

So what makes Pokémon so special, that people thinks no matter what GameFreak it can’t fail.

GameFreak not allowing Mew from Pokémon Go to Let’s Go is a terrible move to be honest, there is no excusing that.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/88/ dragon ball forum
http://midnighttavern.forumotion.com/ Must be over 18 years old to join.
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: AG15

AG15
5 days ago#2
What makes Pokemon so special?

Maybe the fact that Pikachu is more recognizable today than Mickey Mouse.
''We're not tools of the government or anyone else, fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I always fought for what I believed in''
Its not an issue of if Pokemon games can fail, Hey You Pikachu, Pokemon Dash and the first (Japan version) Stadium is evidence of them failing.

The issue is that I can't see Let's Go failing.
Like I said before it certainly won't break any sales records but I doubt it will the a financial disaster for Game Freak either.

And even if it does fail, It won't really mean all that much in the long run.
To take some examples that you gave, Dragonball has had stinkers but have recently made the impressive Xenoverse 1 and 2 and incredible FighterZ, While Sonic for all his missteps still can come out with games like Generations, Lost World and Mania.

User Info: Upcastmite

Upcastmite
5 days ago#4
Ever since pokemon GO it’s been the highest earning media franchise, so they always get tons of sales. And now that this is targeted to Pokémon GO players, the original players may come back to transfer their Pokémon to these games, making even more money. Just my prediction, not official
When Lenny faces break -\_( o o)_/-

User Info: razordrakegorz

razordrakegorz
5 days ago#5
It has both the words "pokemon" and "pikachu" on the title, which are able to sell truckloads by themselves.
These games became a success the moment the title was decided. Also reviewers are afraid of going against GF so this will be praised to heavens regardless of its lots and lots of shortcomings (not many reviewers mentioned how annoying rotomdex is in USUM, or how the festival plaza is a downgrade from PSS. Veeery curious, is it not?)
"Sleeping recharges you. But coffee prevents your batteries from discharging in the first place".

User Info: FalseHeroine

FalseHeroine
5 days ago#6
supermichael11 posted...
I have been seeing reply such as “This game won’t fail, it is Pokémon”, “It is Pokémon it will sell by truck loads”. I mean seriously I know Pokémon is a huge brand, but how can people claim it is impossible for Pokémon to fail? If GameFreak keep being cheap and lazy while charging full $60 people will eventually get bored of GameFreak and stop buying their game.

- Dragon Ball is a huge brand, yet certain games failed.
- Rare is a huge brand, yet their games fail.
- Capcom is a huge brand, yet their MvC4 failed.
- Skylander was popular with the kids due to the toy being playable, yet it is dead.
- Sega is a huge brand, yet certain Sonic games fails badly.

There are more companies I just can’t remember.

So what makes Pokémon so special, that people thinks no matter what GameFreak it can’t fail.

GameFreak not allowing Mew from Pokémon Go to Let’s Go is a terrible move to be honest, there is no excusing that.

iirc, it went one year without a new game. I'd hardly call that dead.

The Toys to Life genre IS dying though with just about every game besides Skylanders has specifically been publicly announced to have been discontinued.

While I never bought into it, its a shame that it met its fate like that. I know if this was around when I was a kid, I'd be all over it. It'd be like the best thing ever.

But as an adult gamer, I see why it was a fad. The whole locking every playable character behind a figure was exactly the reason I could never get into these games.

User Info: ninplayer

ninplayer
5 days ago#7
Is this a joke topic? Does TC really not see the difference between this game and the examples he listed?
https://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

User Info: Tha_Man_DS

Tha_Man_DS
5 days ago#8
Just give up already. PLGP& E won't fail. ;-)
(message deleted)

User Info: Deadinsideman

Deadinsideman
5 days ago#10
The same reason people believed it was "impossible" for star wars to fail.

consumers are so set in their ways their feeble minds can't process the notion of not handing their money over to big brands for the hell of it.

Why do you think one of the most common responses to any criticism regarding this game is something as absurd as "oh yeah? well you're gonna buy it anyway"?

Because these consumers have been fooled into believing these products are as essential to the masses as food and air.

That the general populace literally cannot live without pokemon because they're convinced they themselves cannot live without it.
(edited 5 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu!
  3. Why do people believe it is impossible for a Pokémon game to fail?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.