You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey Nexus
  3. Best Classes/Subclasses Per Role

User Info: AeonArcana

AeonArcana
1 week ago#1
What do you guys consider are the classes that outshines others within their specific roles? I'm talking healing, tanking, magic damage, etc.

I think we can all praise the Sovereign as the most vital class in all builds due to it being pretty much the sole buffer. What other classes are like this that make a Zodiac sad? I also don't hear much about the Landy anymore.

On another note, what are the best classes to be used as sub that can be appreciated with skills at half the max? Like, are there classes that are better off as subs rather than mains (just looking for an excuse to work Zodiac in somewhere)? Kind of a tangent, but I guess subclassing is also a "role" in that it provides passives that synergize with the main.

User Info: Illuminoius

Illuminoius
1 week ago#2
sovereign is broken and makes the medic obsolete and is a must-have, arguably better than hero

gunner is literally better zodiac and has better infliction than arcanist, but at least arcanist has heals, debuffs, and ailments

protector is really good at its job but it's kind of redundant if you have buffs and debuffs

landshark and imperial are like "hardcarries", where you build teams that put tons of resoyrces into them and you get a huge reward in return (landshark shield flare strats are really op when set up properly)

most subclasses prefer ronin for all the incredible damage passives, but nightseeker is good if you are willing to fight rng via follow trace
hero's a great subclass for dpses assuming you don't already have one

imperial is like the only dps that likes a zodiac subclass because etheric boon i a considerable damage increase when spamming drives (charged accel drive going twice via foul mastery is very strong too btw)
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: danmiy12

danmiy12
1 week ago#3
imo best healer is def sovereign, she eventually can heal hp without problems, only flaw is her early game healing and mid game status/bind healing...once you figure out how to deal with those though subs or other things she helps the party the most as the healer and buffer...

protector is the best tank in a squishy party lineup, hero is better if you have a tankier party or you have a sovereign in party as those 2 working together can heal you for enough hp...harbringer is amazing damage migrator and vital in shutdown bind/status parties, and i find dodge tanks you want both survivalist and ninja in team, those 2 working together can get you a decent evade tank going pre subs...

dps top ones are ronin, nightseeker esp in a shutdown team but nightseeker can supply their own status if you have a harbringer in team, landsknect is pretty solid as a linker thoughout, hero can run dps if you have a protector, and chars like gunner are prob the best backline dps esp after lv20...
MH4U :Atom HH main 5.7k uses hr999/Sonata MHGen 4.5k HH uses
MHGU 6.0 HH uses/ switch fc SW-7322-5459-7505

User Info: DemiseEnd

DemiseEnd
1 week ago#4
Sovereign Zodiac is pretty much the ultimate utility character from what i heard. Zodiac gave you Tri Element nulification with 1 TP each, and all stuff Sovereign already gives

Shout out to Harbinger subclass. Something to note here is that Harbinger did not require Scythe for their Miasma Debuff, allowing a HUGE range of possible subclass if one wants to
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it.
3ds fc:3823-9549-3094 - Ice > Fire

User Info: Cogito

Cogito
1 week ago#5
the best are hero and sovereign.

hero gets a conditional aoe for low cost and over 200% at level 1.
need elemental? hero has ice at novice and reaches out to fire and thunder at veteran, ensuring gargoyles (ice weak) die without needing zodiac.
hero can provide weak healing when using skills so it provides a small breather as you set up your buff/debuff combo.
he's basically an allrounder offense.

sovereign is the allrounder support.

this mostly leaves ailment, binds and debuffs lacking for the other 3 to fill in.
Hito wa mikake ni yoranu mono
http://imgur.com/cFMo9gI

User Info: Galbias

Galbias
1 week ago#6
Illuminoius posted...
(landshark shield flare strats are really op when set up properly)

curious, how would that work?

User Info: danmiy12

danmiy12
1 week ago#7
im guessing due to slaughter shield and the fact most shield skills use 3x your defense of that shield as atk power and lands has very high str and amazing speed esp with their broken force boost, imo its prob tied for most op force boost in the game along with hero it makes them so fast and not miss and boosts their atk power.

Then all landy has to do is spam shield flare with the most op shield in the game and wreck the game using their force boost or i guess vanguard if you dont have the force available. Devotion also works in their favor as shield flare is 1 element so it gets max bonuses and inititive will also proc boosting their dps a ton.
MH4U :Atom HH main 5.7k uses hr999/Sonata MHGen 4.5k HH uses
MHGU 6.0 HH uses/ switch fc SW-7322-5459-7505
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: DemiseEnd

DemiseEnd
1 week ago#8
Galbias posted...
Illuminoius posted...

From what i understand

There is a shield called Slaughter Shield that is basically this game's incarnation of "Shield designated for Shield Offense builds". Land Force Break, Full Charge is a 330% Charge that gives them invincibility until the end of next turn. Protector have Shield Flare which counters any attack directed at them

The interaction is to use Full Charge Safety and insane damage boost against multi hit attacks that is redirected towards the Land's direction, which would trigger shield flare. For example of how strong this is, if you took 5 hits, you are doing

Shield Flare: 280%
5 hits - 1400
x3.3 = 4620%

Its a Fire non composite Attack so buffing it can be a bit awkward but the numbers speak for itself
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it.
3ds fc:3823-9549-3094 - Ice > Fire

User Info: Galbias

Galbias
1 week ago#9
DemiseEnd posted...
Galbias posted...
Illuminoius posted...

From what i understand

There is a shield called Slaughter Shield that is basically this game's incarnation of "Shield designated for Shield Offense builds". Land Force Break, Full Charge is a 330% Charge that gives them invincibility until the end of next turn. Protector have Shield Flare which counters any attack directed at them

The interaction is to use Full Charge Safety and insane damage boost against multi hit attacks that is redirected towards the Land's direction, which would trigger shield flare. For example of how strong this is, if you took 5 hits, you are doing

5 hits - 1400
x3.3 = 4620%

Its a Fire non composite Attack so buffing it can be a bit awkward but the numbers speak for itself

Hmm, would that only work for multi-hit attacks and not all-targeting? I see though, that is pretty strong.

User Info: tw1g_007

tw1g_007
1 week ago#10
Galbias posted...
DemiseEnd posted...
Galbias posted...
Illuminoius posted...

From what i understand

5 hits - 1400
x3.3 = 4620%

Hmm, would that only work for multi-hit attacks and not all-targeting? I see though, that is pretty strong.

It isn't all Targeting [- actually don't quote me on this as aggro can affect a lot by coming into play]. Basically you need to know enemy AI to figure out when to setup which makes it RNG based if enemy patterns become unpredictable or worse they miss. This is why I feel we got spoiled tremendously by Dragoons lol. All these ideas are so half baked in comparison because Shield Flare to me only really applies if you have prior experience with bosses to take a crack at it on a second go around.
MHPortable 3rd AGGL Legend. I am one of the main reasons Bushido & Brave Gunlancing exists today on MHX/X. Please show appropriate respect. Thank you.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey Nexus
  3. Best Classes/Subclasses Per Role