• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Web Design and Programming
  3. Any successful web devs here? How did you start?

User Info: SessionOil

SessionOil
4 years ago#1
And how much money do you make?

I started trying to be a web developer some months ago with CSS and HTML.

I built my own site for my transcription services and dabbled a bit in Javascript and PHP for the validation in my website's contact form.

I'm still practicing this a lot, cause I want to move on from transcription to web development full time. What I do is go to websites I visit, take screenshots of them, and then try to build them myself to look as identical as possible. It's good practice I think.... my css has improved a lot I think.

User Info: DaChampion

DaChampion
4 years ago#2
I'm a web developer (in middleware currently), and I make $76,000/year. I started basically the same way you are. My main thing was back in middle school/high school, I made a lot of source changes to the whiteFyre message boards to create my own spinoff message board (that never had any users or anything), but it was mostly a way for me to test out new concepts and bring them to life.

Then I got to college and learned that I was doing everything pretty terribly wrong. But at least I had the basic understanding and the experience from just messing around.

A mix of what you're doing, and also taking classes (even the free online ones) so you can learn the concepts and theory behind everything rather than just the strict coding will make you a much better programmer overall.
December 10th, 2003: Never Forget.
  1. Boards
  2. Web Design and Programming
  3. Any successful web devs here? How did you start?
  • Topic Archived