• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Web Design and Programming
  3. Is ie7 something you still bother catering for?

User Info: Melange_Lover

Melange_Lover
5 years ago#1
Concern I have with a website we're having developed for us and it looks like absolute crap in IE7. I appreciate that IE7 is very old and due to be EOL next year but we've also had issues with the site being displayed "ie7 style" due to compatibility mode being enabled on IE11.

Is this something you'd expect the website developers to work around or should we just accept that users using IE7 or IE11 with compatibility mode are going to be out of luck when viewing the site?

Just looking for opinions.
http://www.duneinfo.com/Content/images/arrakis/actors/zoom/paul.jpg

User Info: Shinnokxz

Shinnokxz
5 years ago#2
As painful as it is to say, a developer should always do their best in making sure the site runs and looks as intended for all audiences.

That being said, if aesthetics is not process critical in regards to the functionality or use of the site (say, a portal to a data entry system on an intraweb, which let's be honest, would cover just about any user that happens to be forced to use such an old IE) then you can make an argument to your boss that the manpower and cost can best be spent elsewhere.

I suppose it all just depends on the site and what's trying to be accomplished with the site. In the aforementioned scenario I wouldn't bother, but if the site is catered at all towards art or design, or if it's trying to sell something in an e-commerce fashion, then professionally it would look cheap that one couldn't be bothered to retrofit to a *somewhat* dated browser audience
(message deleted)

User Info: Mr Hangman

Mr Hangman
5 years ago#4
I say design to fully up to date browsers and if the site breaks in old browsers, just toss in a box telling the person to get off their ass and update because their outdated crap is a threat to themselves and everyone else on the internet.
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune

User Info: Melange_Lover

Melange_Lover
5 years ago#5
I'm more curious about why the site is forcing IE to display it in compatibility mode. Is this something anyone had heard of before?
http://www.duneinfo.com/Content/images/arrakis/actors/zoom/paul.jpg
(message deleted)

User Info: Psycho789

Psycho789
5 years ago#7
Farthest down I support is IE9
http://www.lostfacts.net

User Info: DaCSSMastah

DaCSSMastah
5 years ago#8
Psycho789 posted...
Farthest down I support is IE9

This. There is very little reason to support IE7 right now.
Graphic Designer since birth
PRETTY + SMART: It takes more than good looks to make a design effective

User Info: M0NSTER_

M0NSTER_
5 years ago#9
While some businesses in my experience still use IE 8 that should hopefully change soon. It is rare that I see anyone using IE7 now a days.
  1. Boards
  2. Web Design and Programming
  3. Is ie7 something you still bother catering for?
  • Topic Archived