• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions
  3. Does this game have 4 different stories, or 4 versions of the same story?

User Info: Zeros

Zeros
1 month ago#1
Like are the different characters routes or is the plot mostly the same?

If it has routes I'm definitely planning to play through each one, but if the choice of character just puts a different spin on the main plot I might only play through it the once. Only important to me to ask because if I'm going to play them all I'd pick the least interesting seeming character first, and obviously if it's the other way I'd pick the most interesting seeming one.

Any insight from people who've played it?
BIG O! IT'S SHOWTIME!!!

User Info: Leon481

Leon481
1 month ago#2
It's complicated. The game has branching paths and four main quests. Each main character gets one of those quests as their main story, while everyone else has to choose 2 out of 3 of the other quests to do. These alternate versions of those quests are partial versions with some noticeable differences based on character that can sometimes change the context entirely. A lot of those quests have branching paths and significant choices that can drastically change the story, endings, and recruitable characters. That's on top of the different flavor text and reactions by different sets of main characters.

The game structures are also very different.
Leonard's game is an open world with a very short main story. He gets extremely abridged, sidequest version of the other main scenarios. He has a ton of expanded sidequests and unique characters.
Urpina has a very linear main quest but opens up for the last 2/3. She also has a ton of unique characters and it takes at least two playthroughs to get everyone.
Taria has a more free form main quest that is very open and gives her access to a lot of the world early while still sticking to the three quest format.
Balmaint is extremely linear and discourages exploration outside of forced scenarios.

All scenarios end up at the same final dungeon and the same final boss, but even the final battles can be drastically easier/harder or have extra forms or extra battles attached based on your choices or by character.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: killerb255

killerb255
1 month ago#3
Pretty much everything that @Leon481 said.

SaGa games can be put on a scale of 1 to 3, 1 being "x versions of the same story," while 3 is "x different stories."

1: Romancing SaGa 1 (both SNES and the PS2 "Minstrel Song"), Romancing SaGa 2*, Romancing SaGa 3.
2: Unlimited SaGa, SaGa Scarlet Grace
3: SaGa Frontier, SaGa Frontier 2*

...with the Game Boy SaGa games falling outside of that scale since in those you really only have one story with four generic protagonists you pick Final Fantasy 1 style (well...for the first and second--the third is more like the DS version of Final Fantasy 3 in that they attempt to give each character a name and a backstory, but they're still generic gameplay wise).

*: Romancing SaGa 2 and SaGa Frontier 2 don't have an option to select your Protagonist at the beginning. Instead you're in situations where the Protagonist changes mid-game for various reasons (Inheritance Magic in Romancing SaGa 2 after a party wipe or LP-kill, the plot/which scenario you pick on the map in SaGa Frontier 2).
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
1 month ago#4
Eh I feel like Unlimited Saga deserves to go in category 3 just as much as SaGa Frontier, maybe even moreso. Each character has a completely unique story, even more story than Frontier. The subquests are the same but that's true of Frontier as well. And each character has access to different locations which means different subquests will be available on each playthrough as well (with overlap).

And yeah, for this game, it's hard to really decide if they're different enough for you to warrant all the playthroughs. Personally, I think it's worth at least 2 playthroughs with how different your choices can make stuff. I love the game enough to play through more than 4 times myself.
http://thaao.net/unsaga/
My Unlimited Saga fan site and guide

User Info: killerb255

killerb255
1 month ago#5
NessEggman posted...
Eh I feel like Unlimited Saga deserves to go in category 3 just as much as SaGa Frontier, maybe even moreso.

The more I think about this, the more I think you’re right.

While Frontier has more unique endgame content per protagonist, Unlimited seems to have more unique middle-game content per protagonist.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions
  3. Does this game have 4 different stories, or 4 versions of the same story?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A