• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: killerb255

killerb255
1 month ago#1
I was hoping to have the Leonard Walkthrough done by the end of the month, but I was set back by a bunch of final boss variation testing for Urpina, Balmaint, and Taria. It needed to be done, anyway, since the final boss isn't as simple as having an Easy/Normal/Hard version.

I've documented every variation for Balmaint, Taria, and Leonard (which will be in the upcoming Leonard Walkthrough). For Urpina, I'm missing variations for Chapter 2 and 3 Sigfrei when she has 5 or more Troll Points (because they take too long to test using my current save files).

Anyway, release notes:

Character Recruitment FAQ:
  • Updated the "II. Terminology" section to reflect new discoveries for Taria's Trigger Regions.
  • Further clarification on how to recruit Antonius, Aslana Melek, and Maximus.
  • More blanks filled in (character quotes, formations, etc.)
  • Per /u/LanceHeart from the subreddit r/SaGa, add Failure Condition for recruiting Tsubaki (if you already have the Arch Witch, you're SOL...)
Urpina Walkthrough:
1.4:
  • Added some missing info to the Chapter 3 [Phoenix] section, particularly for Marchiam Ria (full events play out just like Balmaint's Intermission 2).
  • Discovered no differences between Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 [Phoenix] in Kei and Mare Ilfee and updated the appropriate sections.
  • ENDGAME: Chapter 2 [Scarlet Shards] -> Chapter 3 [Phoenix] events are different depending on whether or not the Ibex Ring was destroyed in Chapter 2!
  • Fixed the final boss section to reflect new information on its variants and what Common Quest combinations result in which variants getting fought (not all combinations have results filled in yet--particularly the ones involving dat Sigtroll and his troll points)
  • Emphasis on the fact that Common Quest events in Chapter 2 and 3 can be completed in any order.
  • Added info on second succubus monster encounter in the Southeast Boundary thanks to /u/LanceHeart from subreddit r/SaGa
  • Added some notes about recruiting Tsubaki and the Arch Witch in the right/ wrong order in the respective sections, per u/LanceHeart
  • Filled in section [Sigfrei] 3.3 Marchiam Normi.
  • Added more to Section 4.0 Tying up loose ends (of particular note the Scarlet Ambitions Weapons--this was in the Balmaint guide, but not here until now)
Balmaint Walkthrough:
1.3:
  • Fixed the final boss section to reflect new information on its variants and what Common Quest combinations result in which variants getting fought.
  • Clean up on Intermission mechanics--particularly on the "No Breaks Allowed"/ cool-off period between the first and the second one.
  • Filled in "[Scarlet Shards] Int.2.5 Marchiam Megdasse". Yep, tested this one out using an old save file while trying to get the final boss variations for when a [Scarlet Shards] Intermission is completed. Speaking of [Scarlet Shards]...
  • ...found out exactly what triggers Sasha asking you if you want to give up on finding the Shards. All you have to do is visit every accessible Region that has a Shard event. Once you leave the last of those Regions, Sasha will ask you the oh-so-out-of-character question.
  • Also re: [Scarlet Shards]: found out that you actually have to blow up every Shard that you have access to PERIOD; there's no max of 4 like originally thought (so it's not like Taria's Chapter 2--it's more like Urpina's Chapter 2, except you have the option to bail out through out-of-character Sasha).
  • Fixed some more copypasta fails that reference Urpina.
  • Corrected conditions for Endings 1, 4, 5, and 6--Arthur-specific Endings trump Urpina Rescue route endings.
  • Added info on second succubus monster encounter in the Southeast Boundary thanks to /u/LanceHeart from subreddit r/SaGa
  • Added some notes about recruiting Tsubaki and the Arch Witch in the right/ wrong order in the respective sections, per u/LanceHeart
Taria Walkthrough:
1.1:
  • Fixed the final boss section to reflect new information on its variants and what Common Quest combinations result in which variants getting fought.
  • Emphasis on the fact that Common Quest events in Chapter 2 and 3 can be completed in any order.
  • Note for Chapter 2 [Scarlet Shards] recommending that characters be recruited before obtaining Shards when possible.
  • Fixed some copypasta fails that reference Urpina and Balmaint.
  • Filled in section [Sigfrei] 3.1 Marchiam Normi.
  • Filled in section [Earth Serpent] 2.7 Marchiam Megdasse.
  • Added more to Section 4.0 Tying up loose ends (of particular note the Scarlet Ambitions Weapons--this was in the Balmaint guide, but not here until now)

killerb255
1 month ago#2
...and I should be able to get the Leonard Walkthrough and most of the Side Quest FAQ done before SaGa Frontier Remaster comes out (that game will take up a lot of my time, lol)

User Info: DarkRPGMaster

DarkRPGMaster
1 month ago#3
Haven't been on in a while, but incredible work killerb!
PSN RyuDragnier, Pawn Kyna, Ranger lvl 200

User Info: kain611

kain611
1 month ago#4
Just started playing Scarlet and your FAQs are lifesavers!

Thank you so much killerb!
Changed because Cubs Win in 7! Live for something or die for nothing.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Shadow_FF6

Shadow_FF6
4 weeks ago#5
killerb255 posted...
...and I should be able to get the Leonard Walkthrough and most of the Side Quest FAQ done before SaGa Frontier Remaster comes out (that game will take up a lot of my time, lol)
Heh, I did pick up this game to tide me over to SF1R. Though Scarlet Grace is quickly looking to be a new favorite of mine. Buuuuut SaGa Frontier is one of my favorite games of all time, and the promise of new content is quite alluring. It'll also be a lot easier for me to collect a completed 'memory card' once I don't need to fill an entire literal memory card. I've never gotten to 2nd Div partially because I've either lost my system data, or because I just couldn't remember what scenarios I had and hadn't beaten.

In the meantime, is there anywhere online with more raw data? Finding out Formation mechanics, Role requirements, etc... has been fairly difficult. While this game is FAR more transparent than every other SaGa game I played, there appears to be a lot less documentation. I've been looking a bit at your walkthroughs, but for my first run I prefer to go in blind. However I don't mind looking up simple gameplay mechanics, but I can't find those anywhere. Is there anywhere (Preferably in English, but I'm willing to deal with Google Translate if needed) where I can find that mechanical data? And do you intend to work on those kinds of guides when you're done with the walkthroughs, or is that not something that interests you? No criticisms if not, of course, from what I've looked at, your guides seem pretty detailed and should be a great contribution on their own.
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\

User Info: Exa_Man

Exa_Man
3 weeks ago#6
Glad to know you're almost finished and all set with your sure-to-be excellent Leonard walkthrough gude.

Guess whose storyline I finally got up to after having Taria & Kahn and company clean Marigan the celestial's and the Firebringer's clocks with Aleksandra's & Taria's snowstorms and Adill's epic Millionaire bow skill???!

That's right.....Leonard's. So your Leonard walkthrough is going to be really handy. And oh my, what is happening to poor fair Aleksandra (whom I hope to recruit again??) who just tumbles upon all sick and weary into Leonard's handsome farmerboy hands? I was kinda hoping she would end up with Kahn someday after that one ending I got w/ Taria but oh well. And what's with the doc at Maxiart?? He looks like House?? So is he like Dr. House?? or just Doc House-swap?? At any rate, purple looks good on him. >;-p

Also, *lol* at Leonard's impertinent sister Elisabeth. I didn't know she knew how to read in Japanese like that one Japanese fairytale book she was holding that mentions Ei-Hanum, and her English voice actress is amazing! What was her name again?
Not changing this sig until Disney surprises us with: STAR WARS: The Emperor's New Groove (or Force) or Capcom releases MM Legends 3 which is just as likely. :(
(edited 3 weeks ago)

killerb255
3 weeks ago#7
Shadow_FF6 posted...

In the meantime, is there anywhere online with more raw data? Finding out Formation mechanics, Role requirements, etc... has been fairly difficult. While this game is FAR more transparent than every other SaGa game I played, there appears to be a lot less documentation. I've been looking a bit at your walkthroughs, but for my first run I prefer to go in blind. However I don't mind looking up simple gameplay mechanics, but I can't find those anywhere. Is there anywhere (Preferably in English, but I'm willing to deal with Google Translate if needed) where I can find that mechanical data? And do you intend to work on those kinds of guides when you're done with the walkthroughs, or is that not something that interests you? No criticisms if not, of course, from what I've looked at, your guides seem pretty detailed and should be a great contribution on their own.

For the longest time our only sources of info were the two Japanese wikis and Google Translate:

https://www.spoiler.jp/game/saga_sg/hiiro/
https://kamikouryaku.com/saga_sg

Then NessEggman’s website “The Strelitza Inn”:
http://thaao.net/sagasca (great for understanding the Magic system and some tech data)

Then Valinne’s topic on glimmering techs:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234634-saga-scarlet-grace-ambitions/78243284

...and then this topic was the start of my own efforts here on GameFAQs: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234634-saga-scarlet-grace-ambitions/78510847

Took me over a year and 1000+ hours to get this far. (Essentially my 2020 pandemic project)

This game—perhaps more than any other SaGa game—has a lot to document, mainly because of all the flags in this game. There are SO many ways to mess up:

• recruiting characters (and keeping certain characters)
  • common quest events (especially with Balmaint)
  • unlocking Scarlet Fiends
  • getting certain trophies without an excessive number of playthroughs
  • getting certain elemental weapons
That’s why I prioritized recruiting characters and walkthroughs first. Combat system mechanics would be nice to have in an easily accessible place, but you’ll never run into situation where you would permanently fail to glimmer a technique/spell or learn a role/formation, but if you want to recruit Sasha, you pretty much have to do everything right and avoid doing certain things (not quite FFXII Zodiac Spear levels of bad, but still...).

Shadow_FF6
3 weeks ago#8
killerb255 posted...
Took me over a year and 1000+ hours to get this far. (Essentially my 2020 pandemic project)

This game—perhaps more than any other SaGa game—has a lot to document, mainly because of all the flags in this game. There are SO many ways to mess up:
Bless you good sir! Sounds like you're interested in getting everything down, which would be wonderful. Gives me more reason to maybe relax on Scarlet Grace once I beat Balmaints campaign, then go for SF1R, then return with hopefully more information up. I've got a lot of other games I'm enjoying right now, so I've got the time to wait.

That being said, I may not be able to hold myself back. The first playthrough and my slow use of the scattered information should make my second playthrough much more informed, and therefore play out a bit differently.

In the meantime, is there a quick reference on characters to recruit and items to grab once your character is able to free roam? I only just learned on Reddit how to get a Basic Staff which can help me learn all 5 schools of magic. I didn't catch that in the snippets of your walkthrough that I've read, though admittedly, that's because I was going through Balmaints, and that's fairly linear, so there's no real 'free roam' to do this in, and therefore no one real place for you to put general info like that.

Heading off to work right now, so don't have time to see if Urpina or Taria have entries like that. Though I did catch the big "Use this character in this fight on Balmaint or you lose free roam!" so that's good to know.

Shadow_FF6
3 weeks ago#9
On a quest to look for some of this data, I realized I can help a little bit. I'm thinking of creating a role reference chart, wherein I take the data from the Strelitzia Inn website for how to unlock Roles, and then format them more neatly for quick reference. The idea would be that you could check the sheet for the weapon a character mains, and then see what other techniques he'll need to pick up (and how to get them) to learn a role, basically letting you learn how you might 'dip' for those Role unlocks. Because that websites ordering of Roles seems all over the place without any formatting whatsoever, and so it's really hard for me to figure out what Roles I could access with minimal effort.

Not committing to it just yet, it's a lot of copy-paste and quick referencing work to do, but before I even start attempting it, I wanted to know if any such thing doesn't already exist. Don't want to put in that much effort if there's already a better formatted list out there. Or if the Inn has incorrect information (Incomplete is fine).
(edited 3 weeks ago)

killerb255
3 weeks ago#10
Shadow_FF6 posted...
In the meantime, is there a quick reference on characters to recruit and items to grab once your character is able to free roam?

Section 7.1.2 in the Balmaint Walkthrough covers pretty much any loose ends that you can do, as Part 7 is his free roaming Part.

However, unlike other SaGa games where you can recruit most characters just about any time you can free roam, SaGa Scarlet Grace gates most characters in one of the four Common Quests (Sigfrei, Scarlet Shards, Earth Serpent, or Phoenix).

So if you want to recruit Francis or Luna, for example, the Scarlet Shards Common Quest must be active. For Colleen or Strumiknen, the Sigfrei Common Quest must be active. For Irene or Kumi, Phoenix must be active, and for Maximus or Antonius, Earth Serpent. Once the Common Quest is complete, you can no longer recruit the characters associated with them.

Since you picked Earth Serpent as your first non-main Common Quest by roaming into Megdasse (not sure at what point you did--the earliest is during Part 2: Termina while the latest is right after Part 4: Hibernia), the only character you could recruit during that time was Maximus, and you pretty much can't miss him.

As for your second Common Quest, you definitely want to hold off on taking any detours as long as possible. Once Arthur gets bored and says that "anywhere is fine," that's when you should select your second Common Quest.

If you want it to be Phoenix, either go south of Hibernia or west of Rhonicum into Jusitania.

if you want it to be Scarlet Shards, go north of Termina into Normi.

Characters you can only recruit while the Phoenix Common Quest is active:
Ogniana, Kumi, Irene, Raphael

Characters that you have the opportunity to recruit during Phoenix, but are available anytime after:
Mirane

Characters you can only recruit while the Scarlet Shards Common Quest is active:
Francis, Luna, Hongswan, Nolan*, Hagar*, Aslana Melek**

*: First Intermission must be Earth Serpent triggered from Megdasse and you must light up the remaining four glyphs while the Scarlet Shards quest is active.
**: Must trigger Aslana Melek event during Part 5 of the Main Quest first

Characters that you have the opportunity to recruit during Scarlet Shards, but are available anytime after:
Kenji

Characters you can recruit during Part 7/when you can free-roam (or sooner if you have access to their home Region and are not in the middle of a Main Quest Objective):
Ignatius, Muiredach, Nemain, Kreisa OR Chichi (if you don't have one of them already), Leonard (if you don't have him already), Lamar, Julia (requires completing Wishing Tree events during Earth Serpent AND Phoenix before you can do so)
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A