• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: scar the 1

scar the 1
5 months ago#1
Hey guys. So I'm still a bit of a newbie, I've been following killerb's excellent Urpina walkthrough and I'm now running around the map grinding and exploring in preparation for the final fights in Azhuakan.
My suspicion is that I've been a little bit too conservative - mostly I've done what the guide told me and nothing more. So now I have a bunch of units with four role slots, but quite rarely more than one role. And I'm just thinking, did I do things the "wrong" way? I realize there's not really a right and wrong way to play this game, but I mean, it feels like the game would have wanted me to diversify a bit more? Like, have characters learn skills with different weapons so I can unlock roles and stuff.

Maybe I'm rambling, I just think I don't understand how important roles are. Is it something to sort of incrementally unlock over several playthroughs, or do you think I'm missing out on serious power and should focus on unlocking done key ones right now? Cheers.
Stop being so aggressively argumentative for no reason. - UnfairRepresent

User Info: Synyard

Synyard
5 months ago#2
Honestly, it’s up to how you want to go about it. My first Urpina playthrough I just used 1 weapon with each character and used whatever measly roles they ended up with. And it was just fine.

I started swapping weapons more often on my second playthrough on. It’s not too bad because your weapon growth is rubber-banded to the highest levels, but it still requires some grinding.

Roles can be quite strong and influential, so I’d say go for it if you feel like grinding a few techs from random weapons. But it’s not necessary. You typically learn the first few techs quite quickly so you can swap weapons around pretty easily and pick up some random roles just to have something on.

If you want some specific strong roles to work towards, I typically try to get 2 characters with Bullrusher and 2 with the one that increases the chance you’ll be targeted but increases max BP(it just takes Incendiary Arrow and Demilune; I can’t remember the name).
Bullrusher takes Dual-Wielding so you’d need to grind that first as well, but starting with 2 extra BP is as good as it sounds. And you can only stack it twice, unfortunately.
These sound like a lot, but if you’re selective about the techs you learn and you’re somewhat lucky it doesn’t take that long.
"It's not working. The banana is not melting."
-Masaokis

User Info: pretzelgm

pretzelgm
5 months ago#3
Yeah i don't think having a lot of roles is necessary to do well on normal playthrough and some of them I would be hard pressed to see how anybody could get them without a guide what with the weird combination of weaponskills they need. Even if you just develop one weapon you should get a role or two on your own.

User Info: scar the 1

scar the 1
5 months ago#4
Thanks for the response guys! I ended up deciding to get some of the BP roles, and so far the grinding for new skills isn't so bad, as long as I stick to some easy fights. But Crystalline Carve, Pierce Lightning and Arm of Light are taking quite a while :)
Stop being so aggressively argumentative for no reason. - UnfairRepresent

User Info: Synyard

Synyard
5 months ago#5
Arm of Light is nearly always a headache, but I’ve been lucky and gotten within 2 or 3 battles before. But yeah, it usually takes a while.

Crystalline Carve and Piercing Lightning shouldn’t be so bad. If you equip a technical shortsword and just use Quick Thrust, the only 3 techs you should be able to learn are Crystalline Carve, Piercing Lightning, and Shocking Rush.
Even if the first tech you learn is Shocking Rush, you can spark only Piercing Lightning from it anyway so you’ll have a safe higher BP tech to spam until you get Piercing Lightning and Crystalline Carve.
"It's not working. The banana is not melting."
-Masaokis
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A