• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions
  3. First playthrough, i have 3 questions!

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
5 months ago#11
Hmm, that's interesting. I wouldn't expect the proficiency to alter damage, as it doesn't do that in other games in the series, but this game also does quite a few things differently. Of course, you'd need a lot more data to make sure it's not just a luck thing, but the pattern does seem to be there from this small sample.
http://thaao.net/unsaga/
My Unlimited Saga fan site and guide

User Info: Synyard

Synyard
5 months ago#12
Yeah I didn’t figure it mattered for damage at first either, but when I used Chiago with bows his damage was just surprisingly way lower than my previous bow users, so I knew something was up.
And the characters I used with bows before him were Nessa and Elysed, so with Chiago’s superior stats and huge damage role something was going on.
"It's not working. The banana is not melting."
-Masaokis

User Info: killerb255

killerb255
5 months ago#13
I think I'll add Proficiencies to the next version of the Character Recruitment FAQ. I was hesitant to do so because I wasn't sure just how much of a difference they really made and whether it's enough to influence how to train certain characters.

Like for Urpina's Story, I usually recommend switching Mondo to Bows despite his 100 Proficiency in Spears because 1) Zigor sucks horribly and 2) Kahn joins eventually and he also has a 100 Spear Proficiency.

Synyard
5 months ago#14
I do kinda want to say that I’ve only really done testing at the lower levels for proficiencies, right? So like, my 2 tests have shown that there are large differences at lower levels and stuff, and it sounds impressive saying Kumi was doing 78% more damage than Compass. But that’s talking like a 26 damage difference a hit on average, which is nothing, because that’s talking low levels. And it could be that it could still just be a 26 damage difference when they’re 30 ranks higher, and the difference in damage is between 300 and 326.
Which actually wouldn’t be that bad because it’d be like 9%, but I digress.

I did test it again a little at rank 21 in spears, but I don’t know how accurate some aspects are. I had Taria and Kahn set up the exact same. Taria has the Infernal sign or whatever that gives her strength and low LP. I boosted Kahn’s acuity by 1.

It was a super small sample because I only attacked 3 times with each of them, but Kahn’s average damage was 175.0 and Taria’s was 176.7. So about the same.

But I don’t know if changing Taria’s sign changes her proficiencies, but I figure it probably doesn’t.

There’s also the possibility that if someone has 0 proficiency in a weapon then they do decreased damage and that’s it, and other than that they do the same. It would make sense with my test with Snail and Compass doing the least with no proficiency, Kumi and Colleen about the same, and Maximius a little less than them possibly because he had 3 mobility, but would otherwise be the same.
Buuuuut, I really don’t know.
-Masaokis

User Info: scar the 1

scar the 1
5 months ago#15
Does proficiency only affect damage though, or also stuff like how fast you spark new techs/level up weapon rank?
Stop being so aggressively argumentative for no reason. - UnfairRepresent

Synyard
5 months ago#16
In my experience, leveling weapon rank and sparking new techs is slower as well. I’m not sure about mastering techs, but it doesn’t seem to matter for that. However, neither is as big of a deal as the reduced damage.

The weapon rank isn’t really as noticeable as you might think. They might be a couple of ranks behind but not always. It’s only really noticeable how much slower they are if you’re grinding them from nothing later in the game.

As for sparking new techs, yeah it takes longer, but you’ll have still plenty of time and opportunity to learn every tech with a weapon before the end of the game.
-Masaokis

User Info: saxrohmer

saxrohmer
5 months ago#17
Synyard posted...
In my experience, leveling weapon rank and sparking new techs is slower as well. I’m not sure about mastering techs, but it doesn’t seem to matter for that. However, neither is as big of a deal as the reduced damage.

The weapon rank isn’t really as noticeable as you might think. They might be a couple of ranks behind but not always. It’s only really noticeable how much slower they are if you’re grinding them from nothing later in the game.

As for sparking new techs, yeah it takes longer, but you’ll have still plenty of time and opportunity to learn every tech with a weapon before the end of the game.
So, for the sake of my understanding, that 1-5 on each character's weapon preference on the strazia(sp?) inn page not only indicates how fast they rank up and learn techs with a weapon, but may also have some sort of hidden damage bonus/penalty? I've been matching a weapon to each new party member that i choose to use based on their stat spread and what roles i need filled. Not getting too deep into the mechanics, i should be fine as long as the character has at least a 3 or so in that weapon type, right?
Five, Seven. Good children get nothing.

Synyard
5 months ago#18
Yes, you are right.

It’s also somewhat indicated in-game, as a character will have some levels in a weapon they’re proficient in when you recruit them.

Also, because certain weapons’ strength doesn’t necessarily come from their damage but their utility, I’d argue that it’s just fine having a 1 for weapons like clubs, longswords, shortswords, or even bows. Because with these weapons I don’t usually find myself caring about how much damage I do, but rather the effects of the techs, etc.

I would never ever use axes with someone who has a 1 in axes, though. Not unless I was trying to get roles. Because all axes are good for is damage. They can’t even block.
-Masaokis

User Info: saxrohmer

saxrohmer
5 months ago#19
Thank you for the clarification. I was weighing the stat differences of the two characters that I was considering for axe duty(bandit princess girl vs Angle), and wasnt taking natural proficiency into account. Since axes need a decent amount of dex to function without whiffing but scale on str, i was having trouble deciding.

Also, since this is a topic i created, i want to take a moment thank y'all( and especially killerb255) for taking the time to write out guides and answer questions on the incredibly complex mechanics on this very niche game! THANK YOU.
Five, Seven. Good children get nothing.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions
  3. First playthrough, i have 3 questions!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A