• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. What instantly ruins a fan roster for you?

User Info: Kot_ID_Get

Kot_ID_Get
4 weeks ago#1
For me its when they cut an entire franchise or cut any of the solo reps. Bonus points if on top of cutting entire franchises, they decide to add a ton of Mario and Pokemon filler.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/6/8/8/AAe5I_AAChDo.jpg

If you think about it, cutting any of these means you lose an entire franchise in a game that centers heavily on crossovers. Its happened before in the real games but in these theoretical fan rosters anything goes so actively cutting entire franchises always makes me cringe.
It took me 10 years to find the answer to something
I forgot about it in 2 seconds!

User Info: SmashBurb

SmashBurb
4 weeks ago#2
The issue here is that you're acting as though all fan rosters need to be wishlists.

Some people like making ones that they see as being realistic. And the unfortunate truth is, we're realistically bound to see some "solo reps" get cut just like Snake and Icies in SSB4. I actually think it's a lot dumber when fan rosters have cuts and it's always just clones/Echoes, Corrin, and Byleth.

That aside, I have multiple pet peeves:
  • Fad picks aka "new game = Smash character confirmed". As in, characters nobody was talking about prior to a game or port being announced.
  • Quota fillers. Like Rillaboom as a Sword/Shield Pokemon just because it's grass type and putting no regard into how it's the least prominent starter of its generation. Or cutting FE protagonists and replacing them with more minor characters who happen to use a non-sword weapon because of "weapon representation".
  • Biased picks. Like the creator puts in their favorite side character over the main protagonist or a more popular side character. Yes, we've seen incidents like Robin over Chrom, Min Min over Spring Man, and Pyra/Mythra over Rex, but that doesn't mean we'd realistically get s*** like Vergil over Dante or Anna and Tiki over the next FE protagonist.
  • Biased cuts. Like massively trimming FE and Pokemon, but then bringing back every Mario character and adding Waluigi and Geno on top of them.
For the first time ever WHATZITUYA won a prediction contest, he wonders now if reality itself is falling apart.

User Info: pschambers6

pschambers6
4 weeks ago#3
Removing 3rd parties because you think this should be a Nintendo exclusive series because it started that way. Nevermind that Sakurai wanted to add Sonic and Snake and James Bond and Banjo back in Melee meaning there would have been a single game without 3rd parties if Melee wasn't as rushed as it was.
After 6 years of lurking I finally decided to dive into this hell.
Got blocked by endgame after a single post. Am I cool yet?

User Info: Brother_

Brother_
4 weeks ago#4
4th party characters, cuts out of pure spite, adding a Kirby character that's not Bandana Waddle Dee or Magolor, and adding a billion characters to one series to fill an imaginary quota.
I have over 700 hours in Dragon Quest 11, and now 100+ hours in Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.
Avid Bandana Waddle Dee supporter.

User Info: kaliskonig

kaliskonig
4 weeks ago#5
Brother_ posted...
adding a Kirby character that's not Bandana Waddle Dee or Magolor
I dont see how a Kirby fan could not appreciate Dark Matter as much as those. lol
Reiji Arisu, Elma, Wonder Red, Steve, and Rex as DLC!

Kot_ID_Get
4 weeks ago#6
SmashBurb posted...
The issue here is that you're acting as though all fan rosters need to be wishlists.

Some people like making ones that they see as being realistic. And the unfortunate truth is, we're realistically bound to see some "solo reps" get cut just like Snake and Icies in SSB4.
Yeah and its super realistic for all the next game to suddenly decide retro reps are lame or that bayonetta is getting cut when her third game is an upcoming nintendo exclusive.

User Info: kaliskonig

kaliskonig
4 weeks ago#7
For me what kills a fan roster is when they try to explain their choices so "matter of factly" like they have character selection possibilities down to a science. I actually prefer the more wish list like ones over the ones that claim they are "logical".
Reiji Arisu, Elma, Wonder Red, Steve, and Rex as DLC!

Kot_ID_Get
4 weeks ago#8
pschambers6 posted...
Removing 3rd parties
Yeah this ones super cringe as well.

User Info: HackedDragonite

HackedDragonite
4 weeks ago#9
When their rationale for cutting characters is "because x franchise needs more."
DRAGONITE used BARRIER!

User Info: legowallin

legowallin
4 weeks ago#10
They have Fire Emblem with less than five characters but then add like three more Mario+ fighters. Or generally whenever they cut anyone in a roster that's bigger than Ultimate.
The Clone Crusader
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. What instantly ruins a fan roster for you?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A