• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: BasedZamasu

BasedZamasu
2 months ago#141
Metallia posted...
Other: Cirno
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/2/9/9/AAd58FAAA5M7.png
"I'll be in the car, dudes." - Smithers

User Info: Lyncario

Lyncario
2 months ago#142
Metallia posted...
Other: Cirno
The coolest and strongest.
"When my time's finally up, the sun's falling down, I'll turn to stone again..."
-Mori Calliope, in "Red"

User Info: Endofall

Endofall
2 months ago#143
husk_ posted...
The biggest demographic a prevalent series has is the silent majority that buys the game and plays it but never really goes on the internet to bother with it.

The smallest demographic is usually the contingent that actively participates in the online fandom.

Touhou, in the west, is basically completely missing the former, and subsists largely on the latter. That gives it the illusion of size, as that group is as big as many other online fanbases. The thing is, that's basically it, because the barrier for entry is usually needing to stumble across it on the internet. It's not available as the others are, and it gets virtually no coverage in general gaming. Just to find it you usually have to be in further than general audiences go. It's just the core, without the entire body around it. And none of the evidence I've seen has disproven that at all.

Meme songs? That doesn't mean people actually know about the series. Do you think people know the background of every meme they encounter?

Hell, the Touhou games aren't even natively in English. Only a few spin-offs are on consoles. What about that makes people think it will appeal to Nintendo's selection process?

All the actually big series in the west are buffered by huge but disengaged audiences that make the fanbase the size it is. It's not the vocal online component that does that.

If they never engage with other fans about it they're literally not part of the fanbase. They're just people who's simply consumed the media. Like listening to a song on the radio. Also I find it interesting how US-centric these stances always are.
"I don't like thing because fanbase annoys me, so I will deprive myself of experience to piss them off. That'll show 'em."

User Info: GeorgeMahPorgie

GeorgeMahPorgie
2 months ago#144
Reimu Hakurei is coming...
Formerly known as GMP and a variety of other names. Somehow, I just keep coming back for more.

User Info: RollerBob

RollerBob
2 months ago#145
perfectchaos83 posted...
I consider all of those series Niche (DQ only in the west). I don't know any Touhou fan that doesn't consider Touhou niche.
Well of course, you'll never see a fandom think that their own series is niche...

If you erase from existance every single instance of fan work from Touhou to leave only the official games, you'll notice pretty quickly that most of them are forgettable and not worth championing for, in addition of not gaining enough traction to be recognized by the global gaming community.

It may have influenced other games, but how many times have you seen movies taking cues from older productions and elevating it to higher levels, without ever crediting their sources of inspiration? When was the last time an official Touhou game won an award for Best Indie, Best PC game, Best Shmup, Best Fighting Game or even Best Soundtrack? Dude, there used to be a Best Fan Work category... and Touhou fan games were never nominated.

Also, a LOT of Smash players have been complaining about the lack of recent 3rd-party fighters, so getting any recent indie character would fit the bill much better than Reimu from Touhou.

BasedZamasu posted...
Smash fans thought Terry was obscure so this means literally nothing

They just live in a bubble and are only exposed to the same few franchises over and over again
The exception is that Terry's own series is not obscure, far from it. It may not be on the same level as Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter, but putting it lower than the likes of Skullgirls or Them Fighting Herd is just stupid.
Yes, I'm Canadian. Yes, I speak French. Yes, I live in Quebec.

User Info: UnhndredDescole

UnhndredDescole
2 months ago#146
RollerBob posted...
The exception is that Terry's own series is not obscure, far from it. It may not be on the same level as Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter, but putting it lower than the likes of Skullgirls or Them Fighting Herd is just stupid.

lol this is an ironic role reversal since KoF is absolutely more obscure than Skullgirls in the west.
RollerBob posted...
Well of course, you'll never see a fandom think that their own series is niche...

If you erase from existance every single instance of fan work from Touhou to leave only the official games, you'll notice pretty quickly that most of them are forgettable and not worth championing for, in addition of not gaining enough traction to be recognized by the global gaming community.

It may have influenced other games, but how many times have you seen movies taking cues from older productions and elevating it to higher levels, without ever crediting their sources of inspiration? When was the last time an official Touhou game won an award for Best Indie, Best PC game, Best Shmup, Best Fighting Game or even Best Soundtrack? Dude, there used to be a Best Fan Work category... and Touhou fan games were never nominated.

Also, a LOT of Smash players have been complaining about the lack of recent 3rd-party fighters, so getting any recent indie character would fit the bill much better than Reimu from Touhou.

When has the FF or KoF series won any of these either? And your whole argument revolves around core gamer metrics. When meme games like Among Us, Fortnite, and Five Nights at Freddy's that are nowhere near winning any awards are way bigger than awardbait games like Death Stranding and TLoU. You're far more likely for a random casual to know about them than the "official award winners". You can see Among Us, Fortnite, and FnaF merchandise being sold at regular toy stores while you're not seeing any of the "acclaimed" stuff being sold outside of video game stores. It's also ironic that you're propping this up since Nintendo games in general have the same kind of reputation as being casual and child-oriented and are usually ignored for awards. Pokemon is a good one, with its games being considered incredibly mediocre if not outright bad and never touching any awards and is coasting almost entirely on its concept and merchandise. It's pretty much the Fortnite for people with 90s nostalgia. Yet obviously Pokemon is way more well known than any other game franchise out there.
Of course, the awards you're talking about are just the American awards which of course is more biased towards American game design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFWsx_VFHO8

User Info: RollerBob

RollerBob
2 months ago#147
UnhndredDescole posted...
lol this is an ironic role reversal since KoF is absolutely more obscure than Skullgirls in the west.
Prove it

When has the FF or KoF series won any of these either? And your whole argument revolves around core gamer metrics. When meme games like Among Us, Fortnite, and Five Nights at Freddy's that are nowhere near winning any awards are way bigger than awardbait games like Death Stranding and TLoU. You're far more likely for a random casual to know about them than the "official award winners". You can see Among Us, Fortnite, and FnaF merchandise being sold at regular toy stores while you're not seeing any of the "acclaimed" stuff being sold outside of video game stores. It's also ironic that you're propping this up since Nintendo games in general have the same kind of reputation as being casual and child-oriented and are usually ignored for awards. Pokemon is a good one, with its games being considered incredibly mediocre if not outright bad and never touching any awards and is coasting almost entirely on its concept and merchandise. It's pretty much the Fortnite for people with 90s nostalgia. Yet obviously Pokemon is way more well known than any other game franchise out there.
My point still stands: more indie games have won awards as opposed to Touhou, and even Pokémon got nominated despite not winning.

Of course, the awards you're talking about are just the American awards which of course is more biased towards American game design.
If the Academy Awards can reward movies like The Artist and Parasite, both foreign movies, then the video game industry can do the same.

Y'know I came to realise something: every other fandom can acknowledge or even accept reasons why their most wanted fighters cannot or might not be added in Ultimate. Touhou fans just won't take "no" for an answer.

You can explain to Crash fans that he might not make it in Ultimate due to Activision being the license owner or to Lloyd fans that he might not make it in due to Bandai Namco not pushing Sakurai for extra characters (which Sakurai confirmed BTW). However, trying to explain that Touhou's lack of a sizeable Western market might bar Reimu from Ultimate... and you're in for a rain of bullets like in the games from disillusioned fans...
Yes, I'm Canadian. Yes, I speak French. Yes, I live in Quebec.

User Info: Lyncario

Lyncario
2 months ago#148
RollerBob posted...
My point still stands: more indie games have won awards as opposed to Touhou, and even Pokémon got nominated despite not winning.
Awards don't actualy matter, it's literaly a bunch of rich people who either don't know or barely know about video games who give awards to game that had a lot of publicity but also some indie games that made some waves because they want to appear like they actualy know their s***.
If the Academy Awards can reward movies like The Artist and Parasite, both foreign movies, then the video game industry can do the same.
Yeah, let's take 2 extremly isolated cases that made a lot of waves outside of their origin countries as a proof that academies award are not biased. The thing is, those are isolated enough to proof that they are biased and gave them awards to not appear biased, despite how it prooved how biased they are. Those movies are popular, not american, and have good reviews, but the "critics" that give the awards did not whatch them, or at least the majority of them did not.
Y'know I came to realise something: every other fandom can acknowledge or even accept reasons why their most wanted fighters cannot or might not be added in Ultimate. Touhou fans just won't take "no" for an answer.
Absolute bulls***. Touhou fans refuse to take "Reimu doesn't have a chance", because all people like you prove time and time again that they don't know s*** about Touhou or how Smash works. Touhou fans don't think that Reimu is obviously going to get in, but instead, they think that she has a chance, which people like you refuse to accept because of how you think that Smash should appeal to you and only you. Also no, many fans don't accept that their characters have no chances, even if they get an official disconfirmation, you're once again lying and talking out of your ass.
You can explain to Crash fans that he might not make it in Ultimate due to Activision being the license owner or to Lloyd fans that he might not make it in due to Bandai Namco not pushing Sakurai for extra characters (which Sakurai confirmed BTW). However, trying to explain that Touhou's lack of a sizeable Western market might bar Reimu from Ultimate... and you're in for a rain of bullets like in the games from disillusioned fans...
f***ing bulls***, you're just lying again.
"When my time's finally up, the sun's falling down, I'll turn to stone again..."
-Mori Calliope, in "Red"

User Info: UnhndredDescole

UnhndredDescole
2 months ago#149
RollerBob posted...
Prove it

https://www.reddit.com/r/kof/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Skullgirls/

Go look up the twitter statistics of which is talked about more.

RollerBob posted...

You literally missed the whole point of my post. You're still using awards as a measure when my whole point is that all the award winners are less big than games with no awards. Nintendo itself almost never wins anything (of course they're nominated because they don't want to look TOO out of touch) despite Nintendo franchises obviously being way more well known than the winners. Although the fact that you're basing everything on US-based awards in the first place is a flawed argument.
RollerBob posted...

A. You think random casual movie-goers know what The Artist and Parasite are compared to the MCU, Fast and Furious, or whatever other big action blockbuster was in theater? Of course not.
B. The fact that foreign film winners are a tiny minority compared to American film winners even though European films are considered a lot more artistic on a global stage still shows that The Academy Awards are inherently more predilected towards American films. But at least they're not as bad as the Golden Globes (an ironic name) who are almost at xenophobic levels.
Also, I'm not defending Touhou at all in my posts, just pointing out the flaws and inconsistency in your logic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFWsx_VFHO8

User Info: ifnsman

ifnsman
2 months ago#150
Shantae's got a significantly longer history with Nintendo. But I would not be "mad" if Reimu made it in instead.

In-fact, I'd rather both of them got in. I know, a blasphemous opinion.
Still patiently waiting for Metroid Prime 4. 4/20/2020 ~ 30 years of Fire Emblem!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A