• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Do you believe Assists and Spirits deconfirm?

User Info: Crash4Smash

Crash4Smash
6 days ago#81
ThunderNinja96 posted...
It’s already been agreed upon that spirit characters are game for FP2 since FP1 was decided since the game was revealed.

Can you link a source quoting Sakurai saying this?

Seems like spirits are just a consolation prize. Why would they consider characters for FP2 they didn't consider for FP1? Geno for instance. He won't be playable in ultimate. Ever. He's just not popular enough. There would be hundreds of SE characters who would be picked before him.

Until a base game Spirit becomes DLC, spirits deconfirm.
Crash Bandicoot FOR SMASH ULTIMATE!

User Info: kirbserker

kirbserker
6 days ago#82
DuranmanX4 posted...
And I can't say with 100% certainty that life isn't just a dream

Ouma posted...
Bruh.

I mean... that doesn't make what I said wrong. The only things I see deconfirming is if Nintendo or the third party that owns the character directly states to the public the character will never get in. And since that seems like too much of an image problem for Nintendo, I don't see it happening from them.
Paper is overpowered, but scissors is fine.
-Rock (RenamonFOX)

User Info: kirbserker

kirbserker
6 days ago#83
Crash4Smash posted...

This is really my point. Any rule only exists until it doesn't.
Paper is overpowered, but scissors is fine.
-Rock (RenamonFOX)

User Info: Karovorak

Karovorak
6 days ago#84
Crash4Smash posted...
Can you link a source quoting Sakurai saying this?

Seems like spirits are just a consolation prize. Why would they consider characters for FP2 they didn't consider for FP1? Geno for instance. He won't be playable in ultimate. Ever. He's just not popular enough. There would be hundreds of SE characters who would be picked before him.

It's funny how you are making points helping for both sides at once, and also note the fact that there are also other reasons for not being a character, and conclude it with the "deconfirm until proved otherwise".

Also: Why do you think that the future FP2 characters weren't considered for FP1? Just because they didn't came out at the top during FP1 doesn't mean that they gonna lose again in FP2.

If they just got discussed at FP1, drawed the short straw in comparision to Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry/Byleth, got the spirit as consolation price at base game, and now get rediscussed at FP2 again.

Maybe they are doomed to get the short end of the stick again, maybe not.

And if you now accuse me of being a follower of that wooden doll, I am seriously offended.

User Info: paperwarior

paperwarior
6 days ago#85
I see no reason to speculate about likelihood before the official reveals.
"God Hand is the ultimate expression of the joy of humanity, specifically the punching part of the joy of humanity."-Shigeru Miyamoto

User Info: SonicOkami

SonicOkami
6 days ago#86
I remember searching for this a while back, but I believe in the direct when spirits were revealed, something along the lines of "Showcasing characters other than fighters." was said, I assume i'll have to go digging through the actual video again for the direct quote though.

User Info: Ouma

Ouma
6 days ago#87
kirbserker posted...
I mean... that doesn't make what I said wrong. The only things I see deconfirming is if Nintendo or the third party that owns the character directly states to the public the character will never get in. And since that seems like too much of an image problem for Nintendo, I don't see it happening from them.

Sakurai already stated numerous times any non VG character will never happen, rofl.

Now playing: Jedi Fallen Order, Links Awakening, FE Three Houses, Control, Modern Warfare, Planet Zoo

User Info: SonicOkami

SonicOkami
6 days ago#88
SonicOkami posted...
I remember searching for this a while back, but I believe in the direct when spirits were revealed, something along the lines of "Showcasing characters other than fighters." was said, I assume i'll have to go digging through the actual video again for the direct quote though.

The official line was: The Super Smash Brothers series is one massive crossover at heart, and we want to create something more. A way to enjoy characters other than fighters from a variety of video game worlds. Here's what we came up with, they're called Spirits.

The point in time for this line is at 7:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccgHnBQ0YM

User Info: JunDageki

JunDageki
6 days ago#89
I used to believe that, for Base game and FP1 because those characters were selected way back around 2015-2017.
but this is a whole new group of newcomers and we are in 2020 so at this point it's like a new game where the deconfirmed list is outdated because Sakurai tend to change his mind whenever he adds a new group of newcomers.

so nothing is 100% deconfirmed anymore at this point.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

User Info: gee_willikers

gee_willikers
6 days ago#90
SonicOkami posted...

Since you and others have mentioned it, here's the quote, you can find it starting around 7:45 in the November Smash Direct video:

We determined that collectible trophies wouldn't be a great fit for this game. Honestly they were really difficult to develop too. That said, the Super Smash Bros series is one massive crossover at heart and we want to create something more, a way to enjoy characters other than fighters from a variety of video game worlds. Here's what we came up with. They're called "spirits".

Here's a bonus as well from an interview right around the time the game launched, I bolded the part where he talks about them being outside of fighters, but you have the whole thing in context:

What was the initial idea behind Spirits and why did you decide to implement them the way that you did?

We wanted to provide a solid single-player experience, but at the same time, we didn’t have enough development resources especially for creating character models. That’s where the idea came from. We needed to come up with a system that is fun and not a repetitive experience even when you battle against [computer players] repeatedly.
Cons for this system are:
  • Because there are so many fighters, we can’t tell stories for each individual fighter in detail.
  • We can’t support creating exclusive stages/terrains (i.e. side-scroll action game terrain, etc.) for it.
  • We can’t add new rules, etc.
On the other hand, pros are:
  • We can utilize a variety of characters (But not featuring figures anymore)
  • We have a large pool of music, stages and fighters.
With all that in mind as a whole, we concluded that we should create something themed after this large library of characters outside of fighters, and let players enjoy simulating fights using them. Everything else expanded from that base idea.

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2018/11/21/masahiro-sakurai-talks-piranha-plant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Do you believe Assists and Spirits deconfirm?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A