• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Do you believe Assists and Spirits deconfirm?

User Info: Minjinx_

Minjinx_
6 days ago#21
I don't do fan rules.

User Info: Supah_Axel

Supah_Axel
6 days ago#22
I think Sakurai legit believes that since x character is in the game as a spirit, those fans are now happy since their character is in and he can move onto the next character. And I dont see why sakurai would go rep a character who is already "repped". In sakurai's mind a spirit is acceptable representation. That's why he added all those things like exploring ruins to "play" with your spirits.
http://cdn.myanimelist.net/signature/Bakabridget.png

User Info: OnePieceFan

OnePieceFan
6 days ago#23
Assists, yes, spirits, no.

Assists are an active part of gameplay, while spirits are individual PNG images. We've seen from the Byleth update that the names of spirits can be changed (so a current spirit can have their name changed to "Character name (Series)" and get a new fighter spirit like "Character name (Smash Bros.)"), and we've seen from the Cuphead spirit update that spirit battles can be changed. (in this case, it depends on whether or not you got the Cuphead Mii costume).

User Info: Hermitaur

Hermitaur
6 days ago#24
SmashBurb posted...
Halfway through the FP, they backpedaled, shifted the goalpost, and started saying "If there's DLC after the Fighters Pass, Spirits won't disconfirm for that!".

So, that's their excuse for why the first FP didn't have any Spirit "upgrades".
I mean... it makes sense. By your logic, Nintendo moved the goalpost as well by extending the DLC.

Fighter Pass 1 was all there was going to be before Volume 2 was decided upon. To please fans of characters like Rayman, Shantae, Geno, etc., Spirits were the best they were going to get because the Fighter Pass didn't include those characters. Before, the silly hypothetical people would pose to support their point was "oh, right, Nintendo won't choose a character because they're a png? Lol, sure" which was backwards, because these characters were png's because they weren't playable.

Now, that hypothetical is a legitimate question for characters in Volume 2, because evidently, Volume 2 was decided after Volume 1. Meaning if base game Spirits aren't promoted in Volume 2, it literally would be a case of them not promoting a character because they're a png. You know why people make the distinction of base game and post-launch spirits? Because the post-launch spirits, for the most part, likely were planned and released after Volume 2 was decided upon. Maybe some of the earlier post-launch spirits are safe, but that's very hard to speculate on.

For this to be legitimate "goalpost moving," there would need to be proof that Sakurai and Nintendo had decided upon Volume 2 before the base game released, which is extremely doubtful.
https://inspirobot.me

User Info: retrojake480

retrojake480
6 days ago#25
KoopaDerp848 posted...
Yes until proven otherwise

I too like eating my cake

User Info: NeoMeta

NeoMeta
6 days ago#26
KoopaDerp848 posted...
Totally this
Earthworm Jim & Crash Bandicoot for Smash!!

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
6 days ago#27
KoopaDerp848 posted...
This

It was true for FP1, so probably true for FP2
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Dream Team: Richter, Joker, Hero, and Terry
My game collection: https://bit.ly/38iYfWu https://bit.ly/2wab5Zj https://bit.ly/3buYtMb

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
6 days ago#28
I treat spirits the same as ATs or Mii costumes; consolation prizes for characters that couldn't be made playable. Spirits aren't like trophies. Players equip spirits. If a spirit becomes playable their spirit would need to be patched from the game and that's just too much effort for unimportant characters. Big reminder that not one FP character so far had content from their games in Ultimate prior to their inclusion so it doesn't look good for the likes of Geno and Rex.
"When he at the mic you don't go next" MF DOOM
Switch FC: SW - 1251 - 6932 - 4815 3DS FC: 4313 - 2332 - 4563
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: SonicOkami

SonicOkami
6 days ago#29
Yes, Assist Trophies for sure 100% because while some have been upgraded to fighters, those upgrades were never in the same game, always a future title. Makes no sense to remove an assist trophy to make a fighter or have both the fighter and their assist trophy.

For spirits, also a yes, because I go back to something from Smash 4. The 4 actual newcomers (not the returning fighters) had no trophies in Smash 4 prior to their release, which is similar to the spirits now.

User Info: Zero_Suit_Vi

Zero_Suit_Vi
6 days ago#30
SmashBurb posted...
Everyone who thinks Assist Trophies are still on the table are supporters (usually diehard) of a character who's an Assist Trophy and cannot get over them being disconfirmed.

Legit, it's pretty much always people like Moneyman (diehard Spring Man supporter), 7NATOR (diehard Shadow supporter who also wants Isaac), and that one person with the Midna for Smash sig (I forget their name).

Halfway through the FP, they backpedaled, shifted the goalpost, and started saying "If there's DLC after the Fighters Pass, Spirits won't disconfirm for that!".

So, that's their excuse for why the first FP didn't have any Spirit "upgrades".
Well, I believe that's me you're refering too, and you DO know that even if I'm a Die Hard Midna fan, I do believe that AT deconfirm right ? Not stopping me from liking her, wanting her in, and talking about it, but I don't expect it either
I don't see it as a 100 percent chance, because Sakurai is a mad man that do things no one expect all the time, but I certainly don't EXPECT AT to be upgraded, I just still like the characters and talk about them you know ? Nothing wrong with that
Still hoping and cheering up for my Twilight Princess ! Bandana Dee for the win as well !
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Do you believe Assists and Spirits deconfirm?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A