• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Midna : Deuteragonist Perfected, "The" Twilight Princess for Smash !

User Info: Zero_Suit_Vi

Zero_Suit_Vi
1 month ago#1
Hello hello everyone !

Inspired by the work of a fellow user here, I decided to make a general thread to present Midna, why she should be in, and just a general thread about her, her chances and her potential, for those that read my "Case For Smash" Document, I may repeat some things here, but I think it will still be different than the document on some aspects
With that out of the way, let's start !

Who is she ?

Midna is the titular "deuteragonist" (Second protagonist of the game after Link) of "The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess", taking the companion role that was introduced way back then in OOT, and making a mark in the history of the franchise by being one unique take on this recuring role

Indeed, Midna is a character who take the spotlight over Link during this game, the story revolving almost entirely around her and what happens to her, being the overthrown princess of the "Twilight Realm", a parralel world where the Goddesses banished Hylians that tried to take the Triforce millenia ago, the story revolve around her quest to find the "Fused Shadows", a powerful artefact that would allow her to defeat Zant, another Twili, who overthrown her and is planning to take the Light Realm with his newly aquired power

Midna left a mark in the story of the franchise by being so present story wise, as well as Gameplay wise, stopping to be just a character there to leave you hints like Navi and Tael were before her, she step up quite often in Gameplay to help Link in various ways, stocking his equipement, assisting Link with her magic, as well as allowing him to teleport himself and various objects (Such as Bridges) to several portal scattered around Hyrule
Desepite only appearing in this one main line game, the fanbase still remember her widely today, all this fan support earned her several cameos in and outside of the Zelda universe, a remake of her game, a Spin Off where she is the sole character, as well as two playable slots in "Hyrule Warriors", and of course, a flurry of mods putting her or her iconic piece of headgear in a variety of games, Midna marked the fanbase in a very positive way due to her well made character which made the 2nd best selling Zelda game into what it is today, it is no wonder that the fanbase yearn for her to appear more, a TP2 having being planned multiple times already (See Source 1), maybe her re-apperance in a Zelda game is not that unbelievable ?

Why should she even get in Smash ?
Well, as mentionned earlier, she already have the fan support on her side, being a supported character of this franchise since even before her game came out, and keeping being at the top of Zelda centric pools for years since then, which earned her a place as an Assist Trophy for now, a "Silver Medal while waiting for the Gold" as Sakurai seem to think about AT, but while it can be enough to put a character in Smash, it's not the only thing she have going for her

As we know, the Zelda series work on a rotating cast, no character is recuring for more than two games (at most) apart Ganondorf, but they do work on recuring roles, the role of the Hero being obviously covered up by the main character, the one of the Princess also being, it leave us with a few other recuring roles that represent the series, in it is the "Companion" role, which Midna is not only part off, but the best representant of it, Fi would be her only competition, execpt the latter is not popular at all through the fanbase, often being doubled in popularity by her nemesis, Ghirahim, so Midna could represent perfectly this side of the Zelda series which isn't represented in Smash yet

And finally, Moveset potential, it's something that characters do not forcefully need to get in Smash, but it does make it easier to implement them and to be considered, Midna have plentful of that as I'll show in the next part
Still hoping and cheering up for my Twilight Princess ! Bandana Dee for the win as well !

Zero_Suit_Vi
1 month ago#2
Moveset Potential
Midna is a very interesting characters on that part, because 3 very different path can be taken in the making of her moveset, I will try to present the 3 parts at the best of my capacities, but please do bare in mind that those are only my takes on it, and while the basis of it may stay the same, the details of it may be completly change from one person to another

Solo Imp
Her Imp form is the one we see through most of the game, it's the one iconic form that she have because it's the form we get to see through our whole adventure with us
In this form, she attack with a variety of magic, her hair being a big part of that magic, she can animate that hair into a giant hand that she use for a variety of things, squishing people, grabbing and throwing them (Just like her AT does), or even in some situation, transform that hand into some sort of Spears that she use to stab people, to that you can add her ability to merge with the shadow, to make any object levitate no matter the size, her teleporting abilities, and of course her iconic Magic "Zone" which slow down the people inside of it and allow her to activate her magic more freely inside of it

With all of that combined, you get a good potential for a short heavy hitter kind of character, the likes of Mewtwo, floaty, hit like a truck, but can be punished as easely as they punish others, a character that depends on mind games and on reading the opponent

Midna & Wolf Link
Bringing the iconic duo as one character is also an option, riding the iconic Hero of the Twilight transformed into a Wolf, Midna can still use her iconic magic while being assisted by Wolf Link's bestial moves
An other option of that same moveset can be to summon the "Twilight Wolves" appearing both in the Manga and in Hyrule Warriors, she use them in a different manners than Wolf Link, since they are disposable that she can throw around or summon multiple off at will
Mixing those two together, we get the potential for a quadruped character, something we have little off in Smash, combined with some mystical magic to boot up, making an interesting "duo" character

True Form Midna
Arboring her original and True Form for the battle is also a possibility for the Princess of Twilights, less iconic it may be, but it doesn't suffer from the AT situation, bring out an entirely new moveset than her Imp counterpart, and have already been made playable in the past
This True Form beneficiate from her original magic making a comeback, allowing way more powerful spells than her Imp counterpart, her main weapon can be either giant hands guardian of the Twilight that she summon at will, or a Twilight Spear that she wield at ease in the battlefield
Combining that we can get one of our first "Magic Weapon Fighter", of course Robin already exist with that, but Midna bring it in a whole new light using way different magics than the elemental magic Robin uses, and not being bound to Tomes while fighting
Still hoping and cheering up for my Twilight Princess ! Bandana Dee for the win as well !

Zero_Suit_Vi
1 month ago#3
And what about [X Zelda Character], doesn't she have competition there ?
Zelda does have more than one requested character due to the nature of the series once again, they create a fan favorite character at almost every game, making a wide set of demands for this series with ... None of them really taken into account by Smash so far

But Midna always come at the top of fan pools, her competition not that far, but still not quite there yet, her most proeminent competition being the Skull Kid from Majora's Mask, who got to have a pretty huge popularity boosts through the making of Smash Bros Ultimate, but since the post release Midna caught up to him and is once again at the top of the pools (Source 2)
But, the Zelda series having no unique characters since 18 years desepite the huge popularity of her series, 2 reps could easely be warranted, and Skull Kid representing a whole other side of the series, both could easely get in

Impa is another competition that Midna have, Impa is a recuring character by technicality, since multiple characters through the series share a name with her, or at least a very similar one (Impaz for exemple), which put her as more important than other "One Off" in the eyes of some fans, but in the end, they both share the same condition of sharing a same recuring "Role" while being different characters everytime, so popularity and revelancy will have to speak for itself

Speaking of revelancy, it is also something brought against Midna by times, but due to her remake being less than 3 years old, as well as appearing in Spin Off and having references to her scattered through the series, it's a given that Midna, desepite appearing in one main line game, is still revelant to the series

Conclusion
Midna is an interesting, wanted, and revelant character of a series that is poorly represented as it is, she could finally give this legandary series of gaming a better representation of one of the aspect that made the series into what it is today
She is a big part of this game that was the best selling one of this franchise until Breath of the Wild came around, which make 11 whole years of being the Top 1, that popularity is recognized in some ways by being an Assist Trophy as it is, but her popularity and importance in the fan base could warrant more than that in the future, but in the end, only our voices as fan while decide on her final fate in Smash
As a final note, I would like to precise that I do not in any case think that Midna is a "100 percent lock" or anything of the sort, and I am simply presenting the facts of her popularity and importance to the series as a whole, so that members of this board may understand why she is wanted

Thank you for reading everyone !

Source
1.https://bit.ly/2MCHyf9
2.https://bit.ly/2VELVe0
https://bit.ly/2OErKeC
https://bit.ly/33lSEMi

User Info: TX-55

TX-55
1 month ago#4
Wonderful post.
I'll admit that while I want Waluigi to be the first upgraded AT for DLC, Midna is my most wanted Zelda rep, and is absolutely one of my favorite Zelda characters, alongside Twilight Princess being a near masterpiece Zelda game for me.

The Midna fanbase is lucky to have an amazing and passionate member such as you.

https://i.imgtc.ws/6lvoDWQ.gif
Smash announcer: "WOW!! INCREDIBLE!!!"

Zero_Suit_Vi
1 month ago#5
TX-55 posted...
Wonderful post.
I'll admit that while I want Waluigi to be the first upgraded AT for DLC, Midna is my most wanted Zelda rep, and is absolutely one of my favorite Zelda characters, alongside Twilight Princess being a near masterpiece Zelda game for me.

The Midna fanbase is lucky to have an amazing and passionate member such as you.

https://i.imgtc.ws/6lvoDWQ.gif
Smash announcer: "WOW!! INCREDIBLE!!!"

Awww ! Thank you ! This post really warmed my heart hehe, I putted my heart and soul into this post to really show why Midna is wanted, and how cool it would be to have her in, so I'm so glad it moved people like you hehe
Twilight Princess is not only my favorite Zelda game, but my favorite game of all time, with Midna being a big part of why, so you can guess where all that passion come from hehe !

User Info: Loliko

Loliko
1 month ago#6
Who is that "Midna" ? I only know The Legend of Agitha : Bug Princess.

More serioulsy , awesome topic about our twilight ruler , as usual !

About the relevancy argument ; I personnaly have a gut feeling that Nintendo will port WW HD and TP HD , and make Skyward Sword HD alongside as a full package. So I think this could help in that regard ! Even if , by that logic , Tetra and Ghirahim will also get more relevant again.

But to be frank , I think the double port of HW helped a lot , too... After all , Twili Midna was added thanks to fan requests , and she is the only character to have 2 slots , with the exception of the 3 Link.

But yeah , it would be nice to represent TP again , since no LoZ character have a TP design anymore (Heck , Sheik has a Botw inspired design when she didn't appeared in Botw). I personnaly really miss TP Zelda , too. I don't really like the giggly princessy Zelda we got in Ultimate.

Anyway , here's hoping DLCs or Smash 6 will finally be her time. As exciting as the FP can be for some people , it get a bit boring to narrow speculation about it to a few selected third parties , so I hope they slide in 1st parties and Assists/spirits in the mix.

And yeah , if Sakurai can get SE two big rep , ton of stuff from Konami , make us wait in line to buy a potted plant or a GBA RPG japanese exclusive protagonist... I think he can make an AT playable if he want. After all , Chrom is everywhere in Ultimate.
MWs (Smash) : Geno/Midna/Zizou Olympia/Rayman/Klonoa/Billy Hatcher/Dr.Eggman/Sash Lilac/Chibi-Robo/Fawful/Louie/Saki Amamiya
MWs(DBFZ):Raditz/Jaco

User Info: kirbyakaZ

kirbyakaZ
1 month ago#7
I'm happy to see your post getting so much love!
While Skull Kid is my most wanted, Midna is my second most wanted and I truly believe she deserves a spot in Smash!

Honestly, my dream would be "themed DLC" packs that add 3 new characters and 2 echoes after the fighter pass.
Heck, I would easily pay another 25 for Skull Kid and Midna alone.
<("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)
Kirby Dance

Zero_Suit_Vi
1 month ago#8
Loliko posted...
Who is that "Midna" ? I only know The Legend of Agitha : Bug Princess.

More serioulsy , awesome topic about our twilight ruler , as usual !

About the relevancy argument ; I personnaly have a gut feeling that Nintendo will port WW HD and TP HD , and make Skyward Sword HD alongside as a full package. So I think this could help in that regard ! Even if , by that logic , Tetra and Ghirahim will also get more relevant again.

But to be frank , I think the double port of HW helped a lot , too... After all , Twili Midna was added thanks to fan requests , and she is the only character to have 2 slots , with the exception of the 3 Link.

But yeah , it would be nice to represent TP again , since no LoZ character have a TP design anymore (Heck , Sheik has a Botw inspired design when she didn't appeared in Botw). I personnaly really miss TP Zelda , too. I don't really like the giggly princessy Zelda we got in Ultimate.

Anyway , here's hoping DLCs or Smash 6 will finally be her time. As exciting as the FP can be for some people , it get a bit boring to narrow speculation about it to a few selected third parties , so I hope they slide in 1st parties and Assists/spirits in the mix.

And yeah , if Sakurai can get SE two big rep , ton of stuff from Konami , make us wait in line to buy a potted plant or a GBA RPG japanese exclusive protagonist... I think he can make an AT playable if he want. After all , Chrom is everywhere in Ultimate.

Haha, of course ! What was I thinking, how could I not make a topic about the REAL Princess of this game, Agitha !

Mhm, her popularity and the fan demand for her are showing in lot of various way, and it's not for nothing that she keep showing up a bit everywhere since the release of TP hehe

The ports to Switch, or even this theory about the Twili returning to BOTW 2 would insanely boost her populairty for sure ! She would get a popularity boost akin to Skull kid with all of that hehe

And yeah, they can definitly do what they want now, the DLC was planned after release, so I don't see AT stopping them if they want to make them playable ! Here goes hoping for our Twilight Princess hehe

kirbyakaZ posted...
I'm happy to see your post getting so much love!
While Skull Kid is my most wanted, Midna is my second most wanted and I truly believe she deserves a spot in Smash!

Honestly, my dream would be "themed DLC" packs that add 3 new characters and 2 echoes after the fighter pass.
Heck, I would easily pay another 25 for Skull Kid and Midna alone.

Aw ! I'm happy to see that even Skull Kid fans say such nice things about this topic hehe ! Both can definitly warrant a spot in Smash at this point, so let's hope that comes true !

I would definitly pay for a "themed DLC" around Zelda ! 3 Unique characters and 2 echoes for that series I love so much ? Sign me in !
And yeah, me too, I would pay 25 for Midna alone TBH haha

On a final note, if either Skull Kid or Midna come without the other, I hope that both side of the fan base will be able to celebrate, while knowing that the other is most likely coming fairly soon hehe

Zero_Suit_Vi
1 month ago#9
Twilight Bump !

Zero_Suit_Vi
1 month ago#10
Shoot ... I worked hard on that, so I'll try another Bump for it !
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Midna : Deuteragonist Perfected, "The" Twilight Princess for Smash !
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers