• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Why people are so sure that Geno would appear in spin offs if wasn't for Square?

User Info: Slime

Slime
4 days ago#21
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Factually wrong though:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/712ZZr5BIfL._AC_SL1083_.jpg

Here you can see FFTA promotional japanese artwork which still had the squaresoft logo, the game came out shortly before they merged with enix, since the NA release already features the new Square Enix logo, but considering that the game released in february of 2003 under the squaresoft name its proof that the game was already in development during 2002 and perhaps planned earlier than that too.

oh i'm sorry

rather than there being a 9 year gap, there was only an 8 year gap with squaresoft releases

a company who released multiple games per year with nintendo ended all deals and development with them for 8 years which is a valid thing to refer to as a split

also check this out:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060506042003if_/http://www.square-enix.com/jp/company/j/news/2003/download/0302-200311180000-01.pdf

they literally announced that they had a development deal with nintendo after not working with them since 1996 btw

that said, i think this has absolutely nothing to do with geno

also i hope you know that the square-enix merger process began in 2000 but was only finalized in 2003, so they obviously were working on it prior to the development of the first game they made for nintendo in almost a decade

you: "it's not a split because it was only 8 years and not 9"
A Slime draws near! Command?
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: flygongengar

flygongengar
4 days ago#22
-N3ON- posted...
Sakurai woulda put him in Brawl

That's debatable. Sakurai never said the reason he wasn't in Brawl was because of rights; that's Geno fans assuming. All he said was that he wanted to but it never ended up happening.

This could have been for a lot of reasons besides Square. Nintendo could have said no focus on other characters or Geno could have been low priority for newcomers and never made the list. There's no real indication that Sakurai even ever approached Square at the time to see if he could add him.

Sakurai could have added him to Smash 4 no problem (if he got the rights for the Mii costume a character is a non issue), but he didn't despite wanting to before.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: ganjo

ganjo
4 days ago#23
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Uh yeah such split never happened, thats one of the most BS lies I often hear Geno fans spew out, Nintendo made the 64 and Square like many other companies simply jumped ship into the system which would afford them better business, if you see the gba and stuff Square still developed games for those even after ceasing support for nintendo consoles, there was never really a fallout or anything of the sort.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/nintendo_apparently _told_square_never_come_back_after_losing_final_fantasy_vii_to_sony
Remove the empty space and the link will work.
There definitely was a fall-out between Nintendo and Square higher ups around 1996/1997. It's just that they most likely will never explain what exactly happened as they want to keep it out of the public and as it already is 20 years ago.
My most wanteds: #1 Heihachi, #2 Rayman, #3 a new Zelda rep, #4 Waluigi, #5 Shadow, #6 Geno, #7 Ryu Hayabusa, #8 Crash Bandicoot, #9 Doom Slayer, #10 Diablo

User Info: pwiggler

pwiggler
4 days ago#24
Tomasagaz14 posted...
That's absurd, i've seen many saying "if SE didn't own him, he would totally appear in Kart or Party games!"...
Despite more important and easier to use RPG characters still aren't in the spin offs games, no way that Geno gets in Kart or Party before Fawful or freakin Paper Mario.

Because square is one of the few companies whos sole focus is destroying their own company. EA would probably let you use him, if there were micro transactions, and Bethesda might let you use him even after putting him in a dating sim, but enix? Nah theyd rather lose millions on failed ff15 dlc no one cares about. Gamefreak is emulating them these days too.
#nogeno#nochief#nosteve#nowah#nocrash#nospyro

Slime
4 days ago#25
ganjo posted...
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/nintendo_apparently _told_square_never_come_back_after_losing_final_fantasy_vii_to_sony
There definitely was a fall-out between Nintendo and Square higher ups around 1996/1997. It's just that they most likely will never explain what exactly happened as they want to keep it out of the public and as it already is 20 years ago.

i read that a while ago and should have put it in my post

enix began acquiring square in 2000 and told them that they were reluctant to proceed with fully absorbing the company because squaresoft was losing money and demanded that they do better while also advising them

enix has never had a problem with nintendo and the timing of ffta after all that time when they had almost completed their merger process is obviously not a coincidence

but apparently i'm wrong because they didn't completely absorb the company til right after the game came out even though they started years earlier ^_-

also crazydiamond said squaresoft continued to make games for nintendo but there's only a single game that he can even refer to and it clearly falls within the window of their merger with enix, how shocking
(edited 4 days ago)
Slime posted...
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Factually wrong though:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/712ZZr5BIfL._AC_SL1083_.jpg

Here you can see FFTA promotional japanese artwork which still had the squaresoft logo, the game came out shortly before they merged with enix, since the NA release already features the new Square Enix logo, but considering that the game released in february of 2003 under the squaresoft name its proof that the game was already in development during 2002 and perhaps planned earlier than that too.

oh i'm sorry

rather than there being a 9 year gap, there was only an 8 year gap with squaresoft releases

a company who released multiple games per year with nintendo ended all deals and development with them for 8 years which is a valid thing to refer to as a split

also check this out:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060506042003if_/http://www.square-enix.com/jp/company/j/news/2003/download/0302-200311180000-01.pdf

they literally announced that they had a development deal with nintendo after not working with them since 1996 btw

that said, i think this has absolutely nothing to do with geno

also i hope you know that the square-enix merger process began in 2000 but was only finalized in 2003, so they obviously were working on it prior to the development of the first game they made for nintendo in almost a decade

you: "it's not a split because it was only 8 years and not 9"

Go back to your wikipedia page you posted earlier, check the last release date for a nintendo game back when the supposed split happened, you'll see its may 1996, FFTA started development by february 2002, turns out that your 9 or 8 years are actually a little over 5 years, which so happens to coincide greatly with the lifespan of the N64 and the beggining of the GC, and it just so happens to be that the N64 was the system that they tried to develop but couldnt. But then again you also cite the merger with enix in 2000 so I guess that by your logic this supposed "feud" didnt even last 4 years?

ganjo posted...
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Uh yeah such split never happened, thats one of the most BS lies I often hear Geno fans spew out, Nintendo made the 64 and Square like many other companies simply jumped ship into the system which would afford them better business, if you see the gba and stuff Square still developed games for those even after ceasing support for nintendo consoles, there was never really a fallout or anything of the sort.

-click on your link
-read that article
-realize that you've been clickbaited
-feel free to come back and apologize
Smash ultimate wishlist: Sora, funky kong echo. Smash dreams come true: Joker, Banjo&Kazooie, Shulk
Nonwanted characters: Geno, Lloyd(alone),Solaire(alone)

User Info: ganjo

ganjo
4 days ago#27
Slime posted...

enix began acquiring square in 2000 and told them that they were reluctant to proceed with fully absorbing the company because squaresoft was losing money and demanded that they do better while also advising them

enix has never had a problem with nintendo and the timing of ffta after all that time when they had almost completed their merger process is obviously not a coincidence

but apparently i'm wrong because they didn't completely absorb the company til right after the game came out even though they started years earlier ^_-

also crazydiamond said squaresoft continued to make games for nintendo but there's only a single game that he can even refer to and it clearly falls within the window of their merger with enix, how shocking
Yeah that CrazyDiamondSP is too stuck up to accept it. Let's ping him to make sure he thoroughly read the link @CrazyDiamondSP
My most wanteds: #1 Heihachi, #2 Rayman, #3 a new Zelda rep, #4 Waluigi, #5 Shadow, #6 Geno, #7 Ryu Hayabusa, #8 Crash Bandicoot, #9 Doom Slayer, #10 Diablo

Slime
4 days ago#28
oh and please tell me how hiroshi kawai saying this is clickbait in that article you claim is such

Hiroshi Kawai: What I heard was Nintendo said, "If you're leaving us, never come back."

there's the title of the article right in his quote, learn what clickbait is plz
ganjo posted...
Slime posted...

Yeah that CrazyDiamondSP is too stuck up to accept it. Let's ping him to make sure he thoroughly read the link @CrazyDiamondSP

I was pretty clear Ganjo, if your whole argument rests on an article that clickbaited you and you took out of context then you have no place in this argument, like do you want me to show it to you or will you go in and realize it yourself?
Smash ultimate wishlist: Sora, funky kong echo. Smash dreams come true: Joker, Banjo&Kazooie, Shulk
Nonwanted characters: Geno, Lloyd(alone),Solaire(alone)

Slime
4 days ago#30
squaresoft clearly left nintendo and nintendo was hostile to them after that point until enix began absorbing the company and worked to bridge the gap

there's no myth to it
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Why people are so sure that Geno would appear in spin offs if wasn't for Square?
  • Post New Message