• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Why people are so sure that Geno would appear in spin offs if wasn't for Square?

User Info: aman541

aman541
4 days ago#11
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Lyncario posted...
From what I've heard, Geno and Mallow were considered mainstay when SMRPG came out, but due to the Square split, rpg characters only apearing in the rpg games aparently became an unwritten rule in Nintendo.

Uh yeah such split never happened, thats one of the most BS lies I often hear Geno fans spew out, Nintendo made the 64 and Square like many other companies simply jumped ship into the system which would afford them better business, if you see the gameboy and stuff Square still developed games for those even after ceasing support for nintendo consoles, there was never really a fallout or anything of the sort.

I don't want Geno but a split definitely happened, how many Square games are on Gameboy post FF7? They came back for the GBA and Gamecube but from like 97 till their merger with Enix there was no Square games on Nintendo consoles at all.

User Info: Lord__Xander

Lord__Xander
4 days ago#12
Zero_Suit_Vi posted...
I have to admit that I was thinking the same before being reminded of Fawful and Paper Mario not being in... It doesn't make much sense indeed that Geno would appear in there before those two, even if he was owned by Nintendo...
I do hope to see the RPG characters joining one day though!
Same here, I feel like it's the only thing that can save Mario Karts roster now unless it becomes Nintendo Kart. The roster for Mario kart would be so much better if they allowed spin off characters like Fawful and E.Gadd instead of characters with powerups, oc's, the babies and bottom of the barrel characters like Honey Queen
aman541 posted...
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Lyncario posted...
From what I've heard, Geno and Mallow were considered mainstay when SMRPG came out, but due to the Square split, rpg characters only apearing in the rpg games aparently became an unwritten rule in Nintendo.

Uh yeah such split never happened, thats one of the most BS lies I often hear Geno fans spew out, Nintendo made the 64 and Square like many other companies simply jumped ship into the system which would afford them better business, if you see the gameboy and stuff Square still developed games for those even after ceasing support for nintendo consoles, there was never really a fallout or anything of the sort.

I don't want Geno but a split definitely happened, how many Square games are on Gameboy post FF7? They came back for the GBA and Gamecube but from like 97 till their merger with Enix there was no Square games on Nintendo consoles at all.

Ive since corrected my statement to GBA, because yes there werent any square games on GBC, but I stand by my previous statement:

Square like many other companies simply jumped ship into the system which would afford them better business

It just so happens that as soon that SE saw a business opportunity once again they were right there developing for nintendo once more, Nintendo has been notorious for having piss poor 3rd party support and Final Fantasy wasnt the only franchise they lost on their consoles because of their many dumb decisions, had FF been able to be realized on N64 said ideas of a feud would never be thrown around by tabloid journalists and fans.
Smash ultimate wishlist: Sora, funky kong echo. Smash dreams come true: Joker, Banjo&Kazooie, Shulk
Nonwanted characters: Geno, Lloyd(alone),Solaire(alone)

User Info: Slime

Slime
4 days ago#14
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Uh yeah such split never happened, thats one of the most BS lies I often hear Geno fans spew out, Nintendo made the 64 and Square like many other companies simply jumped ship into the system which would afford them better business, if you see the gba and stuff Square still developed games for those even after ceasing support for nintendo consoles, there was never really a fallout or anything of the sort.

Squaresoft didn't develop a single game for a Nintendo system from the N64 era until after they were absorbed by Enix. The last games they did on a Nintendo system before 2003 were released in 1996.

Here's a list of every Squaresoft release:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_video_games

Enix has never had a bad relationship with Nintendo, so it's unsurprising that they continued to release games with Nintendo during every era and also that Squaresoft titles returned to Nintendo after they took over.
A Slime draws near! Command?
(edited 4 days ago)
Slime posted...
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Uh yeah such split never happened, thats one of the most BS lies I often hear Geno fans spew out, Nintendo made the 64 and Square like many other companies simply jumped ship into the system which would afford them better business, if you see the gba and stuff Square still developed games for those even after ceasing support for nintendo consoles, there was never really a fallout or anything of the sort.

Squaresoft didn't develop a single game for a Nintendo system from the N64 era until after they were absorbed by Enix. The last games they did on a Nintendo system before 2003 were released in 1996.

Enix has never had a bad relationship with Nintendo, so it's unsurprising that they continued to release games with Nintendo during every era and also that Squaresoft titles returned to Nintendo after they took over.

Factually wrong though:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/712ZZr5BIfL._AC_SL1083_.jpg

Here you can see FFTA promotional japanese artwork which still had the squaresoft logo, the game came out shortly before they merged with enix, since the NA release already features the new Square Enix logo, but considering that the game released in february of 2003 under the squaresoft name its proof that the game was already in development during 2002 and perhaps planned earlier than that too.
Smash ultimate wishlist: Sora, funky kong echo. Smash dreams come true: Joker, Banjo&Kazooie, Shulk

User Info: NamelessShame

NamelessShame
4 days ago#16
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Slime posted...
CrazyDiamondSP posted...

Factually wrong though:

Here you can see FFTA promotional japanese artwork which still had the squaresoft logo, the game came out shortly before they merged with enix, since the NA release already features the new Square Enix logo, but considering that the game released in february of 2003 under the squaresoft name its proof that the game was already in development during 2002 and perhaps planned earlier than that too.

For someone who claims "damage control" on so many Geno supporters, that's some nice damage control.
Where did dinosaurs come from?
Where did they go? Will we ever have answers to these mysteries? Hopefully we'll find out... today.
NamelessShame posted...
CrazyDiamondSP posted...
Slime posted...
CrazyDiamondSP posted...

Factually wrong though:

For someone who claims "damage control" on so many Geno supporters, that's some nice damage control.

Wow

Facts=DC now? Lol!
Oh wait, its closeted Geno fan namelessshame, no surprise he'd think that.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: WHATZITUYA

WHATZITUYA
4 days ago#18
-N3ON- posted...
Sakurai woulda put him in Brawl, at which point getting overlooked from Mario spin-offs seems unlikely.

Sakurai can do whatever he wants with Smash.

There's different people in control of the various spin off series in the Mario franchise. Each one with contradicting opinions trying to sweep each other's OCs under a rug. Characters like Geno and Mallow likely wouldn't have it even as good as Waluigi and that guy gets treated as bottom priority unless Camelot is involved.
My Smash most wanteds: Shantae and Crash Bandicoot
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: albertojz356

albertojz356
4 days ago#19
Fawful has similar popularity and he’s yet to appear playable in spin offside.

It seems like in order to be in Mario spin offs a character needs to either:

1. Be a baby or a different costume for Mario and/or Peach
2. Get randomly picked if they’re part of a different series (ROB, Funky, Link, etc)
3. Appear in a modern 2D or 3D Mario platformer (Rosalina, Koopalings, Pauline, Petey, King Boo, etc)
4. Be a generic enemy
Here we go, off the rails.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: ganjo

ganjo
4 days ago#20
Lyncario posted...
The Goomba King from Paper Mario reappeared as a boss in Mario 64DS and Mario Kart DS
My most wanteds: #1 Heihachi, #2 Rayman, #3 a new Zelda rep, #4 Waluigi, #5 Shadow, #6 Geno, #7 Ryu Hayabusa, #8 Crash Bandicoot, #9 Doom Slayer, #10 Diablo
(edited 4 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Why people are so sure that Geno would appear in spin offs if wasn't for Square?
  • Post New Message