• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Are we really at the point where people WANT more Fire Emblem characters?

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
1 week ago#81
Beers posted...
People hate Corrin because he has an ugly design

Says you, Corrin is hot af

YoungLink posted...
SpunkySix posted...
Pokemon is literally the single biggest media franchise ever.

Fire Emblem is not.

Fire Emblem is a big successful franchise, that's enough

Not to compare it to Pokemon, it's not.

if it makes money to Nintendo it will have how many characters Nintendo wants

So you're telling me FE makes way more money than the Zelda series?
What doth life?
(edited 1 week ago)
(message deleted)
Beers posted...
I'm asking a very simple question here. What makes an axe more interesting than a whip-sword? "Not a sword" as a point of interest for a character is like a presidential candidate campaigning on the platform of "not a man". There's literally nothing interesting about not being something, or superficially not following the status quo. In order to sell people on your thing, you have to tell them what it does.

It isn't just an axe you fool. It is an axe and a shield! Give Edelgard her post time skip shield/armor knight shield and have her perform assorted moves (multiple kinds of deflections, shield bashs, etc.) with her shield to knock her foes off balance in preparation for a strong but powerful smash attack.
You can also give her the 2 fire spells and 2 dark spells she learns, and she could use Luna to penetrate shields.

If you want a Whip-Sword so badly just get Ivy Valentine (Soul Calibur series) or Morag Ladair (Xenoblade 2) in instead. The latter even managed to dual wield a fiery version of them.

Quite frankly Byleth sucks as a choice. 8th sword user, 3rd whip type weapon user, 3rd Avatar, 2nd time f**er (shared with Shulk), 8th good guy, etc. You have 3 Lords who are no where near as derivative, and who also have the advantage of actually making the decisions in that game (Edelgard more so than the others). We should not waste a theoretical 8th slot on him or her.
Tetris is a Packrat simulator. It simulates how the Packrats loved ones struggle against the unending piles of junk cluttering their living space.

User Info: HueyLaforet

HueyLaforet
1 week ago#84
NaberiusBuster posted...
Beers posted...
I'm asking a very simple question here. What makes an axe more interesting than a whip-sword? "Not a sword" as a point of interest for a character is like a presidential candidate campaigning on the platform of "not a man". There's literally nothing interesting about not being something, or superficially not following the status quo. In order to sell people on your thing, you have to tell them what it does.

It isn't just an axe you fool. It is an axe and a shield! Give Edelgard her post time skip shield/armor knight shield and have her perform assorted moves (multiple kinds of deflections, shield bashs, etc.) with her shield to knock her foes off balance in preparation for a strong but powerful smash attack.
You can also give her the 2 fire spells and 2 dark spells she learns, and she could use Luna to penetrate shields.

If you want a Whip-Sword so badly just get Ivy Valentine (Soul Calibur series) or Morag Ladair (Xenoblade 2) in instead. The latter even managed to dual wield a fiery version of them.

Quite frankly Byleth sucks as a choice. 8th sword user, 3rd whip type weapon user, 3rd Avatar, 2nd time f**er (shared with Shulk), 8th good guy, etc. You have 3 Lords who are no where near as derivative, and who also have the advantage of actually making the decisions in that game (Edelgard more so than the others). We should not waste a theoretical 8th slot on him or her.

an axe in terms of smash will be no different from a sword, hell, dedede's hammer is only treated slightly differently because of the fact he tends to spin it a lot more in a lot of his moves. any attack using an axe will just be treated like a sword attack, a long, disjointed hitbox that hits in a direction around the character model.

i'm not sure as i'm not on edel's route, nor am i even done with a single route yet, but does edelgard use her shield in any cutscene? she doesn't have it in her official art, and that's usually a decent indicator on what'll be used for a character (Robin being the only kinda outlier, as the only thing i recall him actually using in canon is thoron, and i don't think he had official art until later? could be wrong on that though. but he has the excuse of representing weapon durability, so he needs a lot of toys to play with for that.)
HueyLaforet posted...
an axe in terms of smash will be no different from a sword, hell, dedede's hammer is only treated slightly differently because of the fact he tends to spin it a lot more in a lot of his moves. any attack using an axe will just be treated like a sword attack, a long, disjointed hitbox that hits in a direction around the character model.

i'm not sure as i'm not on edel's route, nor am i even done with a single route yet, but does edelgard use her shield in any cutscene? she doesn't have it in her official art, and that's usually a decent indicator on what'll be used for a character (Robin being the only kinda outlier, as the only thing i recall him actually using in canon is thoron, and i don't think he had official art until later? could be wrong on that though. but he has the excuse of representing weapon durability, so he needs a lot of toys to play with for that.)

People haven't been complaining about the users of blunt weapons, so that isn't an issue.

She is an Armor Lord post time skip, of course she would have her shield.

Smash has Captain Falcon in it, Sakurai could find a use for a one handed axe and a bigass shield if he put in some effort. She also has a unique mix of spells (Black and Dark) to fall back on as well.
Tetris is a Packrat simulator. It simulates how the Packrats loved ones struggle against the unending piles of junk cluttering their living space.

User Info: Dragonpunch

Dragonpunch
1 week ago#86
I think FE fans just want better representation of the series. Its like the Zelda fans they want more than multiple echos of the same character.

User Info: HueyLaforet

HueyLaforet
1 week ago#87
NaberiusBuster posted...
HueyLaforet posted...

People haven't been complaining about the users of blunt weapons, so that isn't an issue.

She is an Armor Lord post time skip, of course she would have her shield.

Smash has Captain Falcon in it, Sakurai could find a use for a one handed axe and a bigass shield if he put in some effort. She also has a unique mix of spells (Black and Dark) to fall back on as well.

where's the fire emblem on marth and chrom then? they should clearly have that if edelgard will get a shield that, as far as i can tell, is only seen in her combat model in-game.
ignoring that there were some people legitimately calling joker a sword user because he happened to use his knife in a similar fashion to a few sword characters, you think an axe will be treated any different?
(edited 1 week ago)
HueyLaforet posted...
where's the fire emblem on marth and chrom then? they should clearly have that if edelgard will get a shield that, as far as i can tell, is only seen in her combat model in-game.
ignoring that there were some people legitimately calling joker a sword user because he happened to use his knife in a similar fashion to a few sword characters, you think an axe will be treated any different?

Marth and Chrom don't use a shield all the time (they have to find it and put it together first) like post time skip/armor knight Edelgard does. Heavy Armor is one of her strengths, so why shouldn't that be accounted for?

User Info: YoungLink

YoungLink
5 days ago#89
HueyLaforet posted...
I did't think about that, indeed this is a problem for Edelgard's chances to be in Smash, an Axe would be pretty much like a sword.

The only thing that could give her a diferencial would be if she had a shield, but even in that case we already have Palutena using a shield, and all the Links and Hero.

So that's one more reason for Byleth to be in Smash over Edelgard in my opinion. Who else has a whip in Smash? I don't remember...
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: Beers

Beers
5 days ago#90
NaberiusBuster posted...
I don't give a fiddler's f*** if a few dips***s are complaining about swords. That doesn't make an axe more interesting than a whip sword.
Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Are we really at the point where people WANT more Fire Emblem characters?
  • Post New Message