The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Duranman's Dragged-on "Dragon Quest" Quest

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
3 months ago#1
Following the release of Hero in Smash, and up til the release of Dragon Quest XI S on Nintendo Switch in over a month, I will attempt to complete all Dragon Quest games on mobile devices, namely Dragon Quest I-VI

I have already played these games before, but most of them were a decade ago, with DQ 1-3 on GBC and DQ 4-6 on DS. I also believe the mobile games include better translation and added features that the originals and remakes didn't have, at least in the West, with the major downside being it's on mobile

To catch myself up on the series, and to be apart of the franchises second awakening in the West, I will be creating a log of myself playing through all the games, while also discussing Dragon Quest in general

anyway is free to join in friendly Dragon Quest discussion, but I will be focusing on attempting to beat these games, and of course other games I have on my Switch, and will be posting some photos as well

The first game on the list is Dragon Quest I, and I have already started playing it, so I will give a rundown of what I've done and what I have left to do
The official Dragon Quest VIII Hero of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate boards
My game collection: https://i.imgtc.ws/mDiH2Jc.jpg https://i.imgtc.ws/kfs7GI8.jpg

DuranmanX4
3 months ago#2
Spoke to the King in Tantegel Castle and other people inside in the Castle city

Traveled to Tantegel Town to stock up on items and also talk to people, who told me of the sage Galen in a town to the east

Went to on the way to Galenholm, but visited Erdrick's Cave along the way, which told me of 3 sages

After visiting Galenholm, I decided to go South to the Craggy Cave, tried to get some treasure but eventually died on the lower floors

Noticing enemies were getting pretty hard and I was still pretty weak, I traveled all the way west this time to Gol, where I got the Fairy Flute and a Puff-Puff and was told this time to visit Rimuldar for Magic Keys

Took a detour north to the Rain Shrine to speak to a sage who stated I would need to give him Galen's lyre, but I instead traveled south to Quagmire Cave to Rimuldar, where I got Magic Keys. I also went South to the Sanctum but was told I would need the Mark of Erdrick

After going through Rimuldar, Kol and Tantegel with Magic Keys for items, seeds and money, I spoke to the man in Tantegel castle through the barrier, as well as the sage to get the Sunstone, then I went back to Galenholm to go to Galen's Grave

After clearing through Galen's Grave, I obtained the Lyre of Ire, went back to the Rain Shrine, and traded it for a Staff of Rain

After getting the Staff of Rain, I went to Rimuldar to get better equipment and on to the Craggy Cave where I got the Warrior's Ring

I traveled all through Eastern Alefgard, fought some tough enemies, saw some metal slimes but they all ran away, and eventually made to it to Cantlin and through liberal use of the Fairy Flute, I defeated the Golem.

After talking to everyone in Cantlin and getting better equipment, I decided to go back to the Quagmire Cave to defeat the Green Dragon and rescue Princess Gwaelin, Zoom back to the Castle, and obtain the Princess' pledge

I am currently at a point where I have defeated the Green Dragon and rescued the Princess, but my journey is not over, as I still need the Mark of Erdrick before I can go to back to Sanctum, and get the Rain's Bow, despite having both the Staff of Rain and Sunstone already. I will for now attempt to go to Damdara to defeat the Knight Aberrent and obtain the shiny item, then I will grind in the area around Cantlin to prepare for the endgame
My game collection: https://i.imgtc.ws/mDiH2Jc.jpg https://i.imgtc.ws/kfs7GI8.jpg

DuranmanX4
3 months ago#3
Thoughts and Progress so far on the game

I am at Level 14 and have the Steel Broadsword, Full Plate Armor, Iron Shield and Warrior's Ring, which made defeating the Green Dragon a breeze

Some of my pros and cons with the game

- I dislike how all the dungeons are labyrinthine caves with a small light source to work, like being a rat in a maze. Reminds me of the days of having to traverse caves in Pokemon with Flash.

+ the game is surprising overworld, with the only obstacles being difficult enemies and not being able to traverse to Charlock Castle until getting all major items

- I hate how you can only save by talking to the King (slightly mitigated with use of quick save) and zoom only teleports you back to the King

+ I love how despite being the first game in the series, it sets up so much of the background with Erdrick traveling through Alefgard and saving them from the darkness

- Not a gameplay-related complaint, but I dislike that all NPCs basically speak with a Ye Olde English accent. I could understand it in Tantegel, but was hoping there would be different types of characters in other cities

+ this game is really all about progression. First you start out battling lowly slimes and drackies, with ghosts giving you trouble, and an hour or two later, you are defeating ghosts and even spitegeists with one hit. It sets up a nice difficulty curve where you can feel like you are growing stronger because you are making mincemeat of monsters that pulverized you early on

- while I'm not necessarily against random battles, I do feel it's a bit weird to go from the overworld theme, to the battle theme, then back to the overworld theme, especially since most battles can end very quickly

+ an interesting thing about this game is so little of the gameplay experience is reliant on the player. All you really need to do is beat enemies and get better weapons. There is no need to worry about party members, skill trees, stats, etc. The only thing you can really control is battle is whether to attack, use magic or run. It's simple, and you really only blame your losses to poor strategy, not being a high enough level or not having good enough armor.

- I dislike how limited the slot space is, mainly because I'm a hoarder, since it barely leaves room for some key items late in the game, so you have to manage what to keep

+ I almost consider this is a negative, but it's quite genius. Early on in the game you need to rely on items like torches, holy water and chimera wing to help ease combat and exploration, but later in the game you get access to spells which allow you to do that via MP, though since there is no way to recover MP outside of resting at an inn, you have to balance using Glow everytime your light diminishes with making sure you have MP to use heal

- I wish they added a bestiary, itempedia, or some completionist criteria in the mobile remakes.

User Info: Dustycadet158

Dustycadet158
3 months ago#4
Courage is the magic that makes dreams into reality.
Official Joker here to take your heart. :)

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
3 months ago#5
Dustycadet158 posted...

f*** that saying.

I hate that fake sequel.
I am pretty sure I know what to do now.
-Sonic Mainer (SSB4) / Link Mainer (SSBU). Hyde/Seth/Linne team (BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle), Goku SS/Vegeta SS (FZ).

User Info: Dustycadet158

Dustycadet158
3 months ago#6
Blayshy posted...
Dustycadet158 posted...

f*** that saying.

I hate that fake sequel.

I like the opening i still humm it. Took me like half the game to do so but i enjoyed it. I also enjoyed emils story and laurie bailey and johnny yung bosch are great VAs. Though i am aware of the games faults. The saying is a good one though words to live (and die if one is stupid or weak) by. I miss lloyds original voice TITANS GO!
Official Joker here to take your heart. :)

User Info: Wynvkius

Wynvkius
3 months ago#7
The newer translations are leagues ahead of the old ones.

Also the ye olde English accent pays off eventually

User Info: AngelosTheHero

AngelosTheHero
3 months ago#8
There is an item vault in Tantegel town.
3DS Friend Code: 0087-2458-1255 Aeon
ACNL: Mayor Sakurai of Harukawa Dream Address: 7D00-00AF-A89F

DuranmanX4
3 months ago#9
my progress so far

Went to Damdara to try and defeat the Knight Aberrant and got wrecked

Went to the area around Cantlin to grind, and try to save up for the Fire Blade And maybe Silver Shield

Noticed that an old man in Cantlin has an idea where the Mark of Erdrick is located, 70 steps north and 40 steps west of Tantagel

Now obviously I'm not going to do the math, but I noticed when using the Princess Pledge to grind that she tells me how far away from the Castle I am

Found the Mark of Erdrick in a swap, travelled all the way to the Sanctum with the help of Zoom and Holy Protection, got the Rain's Drop and finally made my way to Charlock Castle

Still focusing on trying to defeat the Knight Aberrant, but when I do, Dragonlord here I come!

DuranmanX4
3 months ago#10
So I finally defeated a Metal Slime, got the Fire Blade, defeated the Knight Aberrant and got Erdrick's Armor and now that I'm level 17 I learned Mediheal

Time to finally got to Charlock Castle
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Duranman's Dragged-on "Dragon Quest" Quest
  • Topic Archived