• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Hypocricy in Smash Brothers Ultimate

User Info: CryoFigment

CryoFigment
4 weeks ago#1
There is a few things that have always intrigued me about the Smash community; today I'll be talking about how the players of this game can be some of the biggest hypocrites in gaming community, and while I am not talking about all of the players in the game, there are some very big examples I plan on giving.

First, and possibly the most obvious one, is the relevant vs nostalgia arguments.
This includes your Waluigis, your Genos, or your Crashes.
Basically, in this category we follow the people who would like a character in Smash despite it's lack of relevancy, yet will argue against other character using the same argument.

A good example would be the people who would like to see Banjo, but get angry at the idea of Waluigi; since while at his time, Banjo was a great gaming icon, nowadays it is a mostly forgotten character. Whereas it is true Waluigi has never done an incredible impact in gaming, he continues to at least appear in games, and so, technically has more relevance than Banjo, if you use things like games he has shown in, or sells in games where he has appeared.

Let us move to our second category: meme characters.

This is incredibly similiar to the last one, but it's where most of the current requested fighters and hypocricy recides. And again, let's use Waluigi as an example. There are people who would like to see Sans or Steve, and while I'm sure that there are some fans that would actually like them, most people just like the idea for the salt it'd bring, quite literally making a meme of them. Yet, these tend to fight each other to let their meme character get in.
They eventually get serious over their meme, that they wish their meme character gets instead of another meme characters, and I would argue, that this category is one of the most toxic ones, because contrary to the past one, these ones don't just affect each other, but the community as a whole.

And while there are probably more example, this is the one that in particular, I find the most annoying.
The third and last category I will talk about: "anime" complaints.

This is the most annoying to me, and not because I in particular like anime, but rather because it's one of the most stupid arguments there are.
The best example is the Fire Emblem characters. They tend to get a ton of hate from the western audience, and while I understand that it's not all of it because they're "anime", rather because they're very similar to each other in gamestyle. There are the ones that complain about them being "weeb s***".
Well, the issue I have with this people is the fact that they just complain about Fire Emblem when they do that, and I find it so illogical for a few points.
1) It is a japanese game, and it is a cultural style for them, you cannot expect them to make the game exclusive to your liking just because you don't like their culture.
2) Fire Emblem is not the only "anime" style, realistically, around half the cast has the "anime" looks, and one of the most popular ones, and one that people keep asking more representation for is LoZ, yet they have about the same anime style as Fire Emblem.
And the most annoying one:
3) Usually the people that tend to argue against the anime styles, particulary FE, are the ones that also ride the wave of allowing Goku to get into smash... Are you f***ing serious?
Goku is quite literally an anime. And it's not even close to being the best there is. I understand that people like to cling to Dragon Ball since it's part of the few animes that popularized them over in the west, but the fact that they say something yet think something else entirely, it's simply infuriating. You either want anime, or you don't, make up your minds.

Either way, those are my opinions on the arguments this community sometimes have.

What do you think? Are there other example you can think of? Which do you hate the most?
I'll be happy to read the answers.

User Info: SpaceDetective

SpaceDetective
4 weeks ago#2
CryoFigment posted...
Usually the people that tend to argue against the anime styles, particulary FE, are the ones that also ride the wave of allowing Goku to get into smash... Are you f***ing serious?

Now see, Goku fans (even unironic ones) are pretty much all memers. If they're using that argument, it's to poke fun at the debate than to seriously hate on anyone.
https://i.imgur.com/ebULMPv.png
Official Ashley of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate board - I was wrong it was fake

User Info: ajniN_rebeiB

ajniN_rebeiB
4 weeks ago#3
save your sympathy
who'd you think you're fooling
everything is dead
now you welcome me
to a town called hypocrisy

big yikes making a lostprophets reference, but idgaf. you can respect the creator as an artist, but not as a person. people should also take into consideration that only one of the band members was a nonce, while the other five people involved in the band had their musical careers ruined because of some douchebag pedophile
Justin Bieber created and saved the music industry
https://www.youtube.com/user/masterbazing

User Info: Oil_Panic

Oil_Panic
4 weeks ago#4
There is always the complaint about "characters nobody asked for", sometimes worded as "no one cared about them before Smash".

Before everyone returned, the people making these complaints would typically demand the return of characters like Ice Climbers, Snake, Ivysaur, etc.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
- God-like being, Futurama

User Info: gee_willikers

gee_willikers
4 weeks ago#5
The one that I can think of is, before Cloud got in there was talk about how he wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't get in Smash due to his extremely limited history with Nintendo. Then once he got in, people cited both Final Fantasy's history with Nintendo, and his couple of cameos as the Nintendo link, even though neither were considered good enough qualifying factors before he got in. It's fair to say you could argue this was from different people, and opinions remained unchanged before and after he got in, but it is something I noticed.

User Info: Knuxdontchuckle

Knuxdontchuckle
4 weeks ago#6
that’s quite a lot to elaborate on, considering you spelled hypocrisy wrong
i'm the fighting freak knuckles. tough as nails. unlike sonic i don't chuckle.

User Info: imnotmark10

imnotmark10
4 weeks ago#7
SpaceDetective posted...
CryoFigment posted...
Usually the people that tend to argue against the anime styles, particulary FE, are the ones that also ride the wave of allowing Goku to get into smash... Are you f***ing serious?

Now see, Goku fans (even unironic ones) are pretty much all memers. If they're using that argument, it's to poke fun at the debate than to seriously hate on anyone.

Oof, I think I know who are those people.
im still fat

User Info: Pelpa

Pelpa
4 weeks ago#8
"Cloud Strife deserves to be in because Final Fantasy VII was the most successful Final Fantasy game."

"Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto V, Tetris, Call of Duty, the rest don't matter because I don't like them!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
Signatures like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65KNyF6EmU4

User Info: wolfxslash

wolfxslash
4 weeks ago#9
That's true

User Info: zado19

zado19
4 weeks ago#10
'magine reading this....
Can anyone honestly read this topic and the claim there are no racists on GameFAQS...?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/261-politics/77717141
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Hypocricy in Smash Brothers Ultimate
  • Topic Archived