• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Is Smash Ultimate comparable to XYZ anime?

User Info: saltymuch_jpg

saltymuch_jpg
2 months ago#11
Ice_Dragon14 posted...
saltymuch_jpg posted...
Smash 64= OG

Melee= Advance

Brawl= Diamond and Pearl

Smash 4 = Best Wishes

Ultimate = XYZ

Smash 6 = … dear god SM. No. Nooooooo!

by that logic, Brawl is the best smash game

I guess what I was going for was each one had it’s own fans but hey that works. Not really
Korrina>Lana
Official creator of Change in Fate https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77351481

User Info: Mudkip_in_Space

Mudkip_in_Space
2 months ago#12
MegaZardY posted...
Fact: Sun and Moon is the best Pokemon anime. The simplistic character designs help in allowing them to do amazing animation, and it’s much better than everything that came before

My personal ranking is OG > SM > BW > ADV > DP > XY, but SM definitely has tons of reasons to go near the top. Anyone calling it bad has never actually watched a single episode and likely falsely assumes it’s a ripoff of Yo-kai Watch (which is a good series so it wouldn’t matter anyway)
You'll never see it coming! 12/6/18 - Joker is in Smash!
Most Wanted - Yuri Lowell, Sora, and Rex

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
2 months ago#13
SleepyPyukumuku posted...
Gargomon251 posted...
quintonshark163 posted...
By XYZ Anime, i mean the one that should end the franchise on a high note and not just continued and then be ruined just for the sake of 💰money

????

They're talking about the Pokemon XYZ anime and how some people think the series should have ended there.

Why didn't he just say "pokemon"?

Also, the pokemon anime was always bad.
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi

User Info: Ice_Dragon14

Ice_Dragon14
2 months ago#14
DP>Adv>OG=SM=BW>XY
http://tinyurl.com/y6vs736q http://tinyurl.com/y7m3uygs
FEH teams

Mudkip_in_Space
2 months ago#15
Gargomon251 posted...
SleepyPyukumuku posted...
Gargomon251 posted...
quintonshark163 posted...
By XYZ Anime, i mean the one that should end the franchise on a high note and not just continued and then be ruined just for the sake of 💰money

????

They're talking about the Pokemon XYZ anime and how some people think the series should have ended there.

Why didn't he just say "pokemon"?

Also, the pokemon anime was always bad.

You’re the only person here who was stupid enough to miss that it was Pokémon.

Also, wow your edgy “Pokémon anime is bad” “hot take” is incredibly stale too, go get better material.
Most Wanted - Yuri, Sora, Jibanyan, and Rex

User Info: DarkKirby2500

DarkKirby2500
2 months ago#16
XYZ anime?

You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URFiZIrkhHk
The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. They're all complacent sheeple. Passion fights, but reason wins.

Mudkip_in_Space
2 months ago#17
DarkKirby2500 posted...
XYZ anime?

You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URFiZIrkhHk

zexal is my favorite yu-gi-oh arc so at this point i know i have bad opinions but it’s okay

User Info: saltymuch_jpg

saltymuch_jpg
2 months ago#18
Mudkip_in_Space posted...
XYZ was mediocre and Sun/Moon, outside of an exhorbitant amount of filler, still does everything it sets out to do much more competently. I’d even argue that BW was better than XY as a series because Iris and Cilan were interesting, something XY’s blonde squad never figured out how to be. Iris and Cilan both had flaws but it made them interesting, something that all of XY’s writing lacked. People absolutely cream over XY’s plot but BW got wins where it counted, especially with the multiple tournament arcs to keep rival dynamics fresh. Georgia and Burgundy > any rival from XY.

XY is only superficially “better,” than BW or SM, as both have flaws but manage to capture their strong suits in a far better and more interesting way.

I feel that BW is the worst that Ash and the anime has ever gotten. Ash is back to Gen 1 standards but worse. He makes stupid decisions and captures way too many Pokémon to get attached to. Iris had her arc wasted by the cut episodes, was generally a worse Misty by all standards, and rarely had any relevance to the plot. Dawn and May before her had Contests and Misty is Misty. Iris didn’t have that. Cilan had to be compared to Brock. He was a worse Brock. He just retained his “I have an obsession over certain stuff, know a lot about battles, and a big family (but actually has this in game).”

Compare this to Serena, Clement and Bonnie. The trio can be largely compared to May, Max and Brock as they’re the only trio other than the latter. All three are foiled to Ash. Serena tries to grow as a person by becoming attached to Ash and follow his footsteps. Her confrontation with her mother was a great episode which showed her growing as a person. Whatever the rip off performances were is lame and was just an attempt to get older fans back since Iris flopped. Clement struggles to find a passion for battle. He grew bored and uses Ash to experience what it means to be a trainer. After his arc he goes back into the Brock archetype but still foils with Ash and Bonnie. Bonnie had her arc with Squishy in XYZ and the finale with the two was really compelling. Ash was at the top of his game too. He made it the farthest in the league and the final battle with Alain is excellent. Let’s not mention his fail at Unova League. That’s embarrassing.

Both animes had bad rivals. Serena had the typical “I’m better than you” and “We’re friends!!!” but at least she had a reason to fight for (Ash). Who was Iris’s rival? Georgia? Didn’t she just insult Iris and that’s it? She had no importance to the plot. Clement didn’t have a rival, which is fine since Brocks don’t usually have one. Cilan has the worst character in the Pokémon anime who’s a whiney brat. No importance to the plot. Ash had bad rivals in both. Trip was a worse Paul with little reason for being the way he is and Cameron is the typical “I showed up at the last minute and I’ll beat you” guy. Also that Cameron fight was bad. In XYZ Saywer was passable, but not more worthy. Did Tierno has a personality other than DANCE BABY? Alain was good but that was because of his short episodes.

Long story short XYZ improves from BW by fleshing our characters and giving them better motivations while not rehashing older tropes.

Edit: I don’t have a comment over SM as I’ve only seen what’s on Netflix. What I’ve seen is meh. It has some good episodes but most are filler for the Nebby arc later on. Boring.
Korrina>Lana
Official creator of Change in Fate https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77351481

Mudkip_in_Space
2 months ago#19
saltymuch_jpg posted...

I feel that BW is the worst that Ash and the anime has ever gotten. Ash is back to Gen 1 standards but worse. He makes stupid decisions and captures way too many Pokémon to get attached to. Iris had her arc wasted by the cut episodes, was generally a worse Misty by all standards, and rarely had any relevance to the plot. Dawn and May before her had Contests and Misty is Misty. Iris didn’t have that. Cilan had to be compared to Brock. He was a worse Brock. He just retained his “I have an obsession over certain stuff, know a lot about battles, and a big family (but actually has this in game).”

Compare this to Serena, Clement and Bonnie. The trio can be largely compared to May, Max and Brock as they’re the only trio other than the latter. All three are foiled to Ash. Serena tries to grow as a person by becoming attached to Ash and follow his footsteps. Her confrontation with her mother was a great episode which showed her growing as a person. Whatever the rip off performances were is lame and was just an attempt to get older fans back since Iris flopped. Clement struggles to find a passion for battle. He grew bored and uses Ash to experience what it means to be a trainer. After his arc he goes back into the Brock archetype but still foils with Ash and Bonnie. Bonnie had her arc with Squishy in XYZ and the finale with the two was really compelling. Ash was at the top of his game too. He made it the farthest in the league and the final battle with Alain is excellent. Let’s not mention his fail at Unova League. That’s embarrassing.

Both animes had bad rivals. Serena had the typical “I’m better than you” and “We’re friends!!!” but at least she had a reason to fight for (Ash). Who was Iris’s rival? Georgia? Didn’t she just insult Iris and that’s it? She had no importance to the plot. Clement didn’t have a rival, which is fine since Brocks don’t usually have one. Cilan has the worst character in the Pokémon anime who’s a whiney brat. No importance to the plot. Ash had bad rivals in both. Trip was a worse Paul with little reason for being the way he is and Cameron is the typical “I showed up at the last minute and I’ll beat you” guy. Also that Cameron fight was bad. In XYZ Saywer was passable, but not more worthy. Did Tierno has a personality other than DANCE BABY? Alain was good but that was because of his short episodes.

Long story short XYZ improves from BW by fleshing our characters and giving them better motivations while not rehashing older tropes.

Edit: I don’t have a comment over SM as I’ve only seen what’s on Netflix. What I’ve seen is meh. It has some good episodes but most are filler for the Nebby arc later on. Boring.

What you say makes sense, I guess it’s just different priorities. Iris, Cilan, Burgundy, and Georgia were all pretty flat in motivations terms but I found them totally entertaining, something I value a lot. I find character interactions to be super important, even over growth and goals. Ash regressing was okay with me just because I feel he’s more interesting when interacting with others, as XY Ash often felt like he was basically untouchable minus the short lived arc around Snowbelle.

I personally like Tierno only because it’s nice to see a bigger guy in media who isn’t defined by jokes about his appearance, and even past jokes, none of that was ever in the picture for his characterization anyway. Him and Trevor are both pretty flat though and I don’t see a huge reason for them to have been in the league besides making Alain and Sawyer look good.

I will agree though: the battles were super poorly animated at times in BW. Like, wtf

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
2 months ago#20
Wait, what's Pokemon Z?
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Is Smash Ultimate comparable to XYZ anime?
  • Topic Archived