• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. What Smash 4 did Better than Smash Ultimate

User Info: Donniedonz

Donniedonz
3 months ago#1
I like Smash Ultimate. This is not a topic that was designed to tear down Smash Ultimate. It is a good game and I am enjoying my time with it.

Here are the things:

- Input lag was at the lowest its ever been in Smash 4. Inputs felt crisp and sharp; absolutely anyone transitioning from Smash 4 to Smash Ultimate will immediately notice a more "sluggish" feeling. For a Fighting Game, controls and inputs are supposed to be a main focus.

- Despite being on a weaker graphical engine, Smash 4's art direction worked better for the franchise. It had vivid colors and was brightly lit. Smash Ultimate's weird smoke trails and chalky textures hit the eye in a way that is less aesthetically pleasing.
Floating Octahedral Shard

User Info: UndertaleFan278

UndertaleFan278
3 months ago#2
Online imo.

User Info: Meta289

Meta289
3 months ago#3
Taunts.
https://i.imgur.com/fw1QFvY.png - Tea time, f***ers.
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is the best DS Zelda game.

User Info: Kimarnic

Kimarnic
3 months ago#4
Online and art style too
I sometimes forget where am I with all the chaos

User Info: Banjo2553

Banjo2553
3 months ago#5
If you think about it Smash 4's art style is kind of an outlier. Nearly all the Smash games have settled for a more gritty art style while 4's is all bright and colorful. But, to each their own. I think Ultimate looks beautiful and crisp without being too ugly. Admittedly all the added effects become slightly disorienting.

Me personally I would say the online was better in Smash 4 simply due to the dedicated 1v1 mode. If they can patch something like that for Elite Battles in Ultimate I'd have no issues. Input lag hasn't bothered me too much, but it does feel slightly off compared to other Smash games. Apparently stuff like that has been patched before in other fighting games (SFV apparently got a patch that removed its input lag), so maybe Nintendo will do that if they feel it's feasible.
Game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwVQm69J7bGScbv3_50C0dA

User Info: wryy69

wryy69
3 months ago#6
Highly disagree with the "art style" thing, i think smash 4 just felt like an oversaturated version of brawl. ultimate has a lot more detail.

online is way worse in this game though honestly
Minty Fresh Regret

User Info: d4rkauras

d4rkauras
3 months ago#7
-Matchmaking with random people.
-Buffering is less weird.
-Some singleplayer modes in HRC and Smash Tour.

That's it really. Ultimate blows Smash 4 out of the water in pretty every other way in terms of gameplay physics, roster, music, stages, balance, etc.
~Reimu Hakurei for SSBU~
Smash Ultimate: Character crisis simulator.

User Info: Donniedonz

Donniedonz
3 months ago#8
Banjo2553 posted...
If they can patch something like that for Elite Battles in Ultimate I'd have no issues. Input lag hasn't bothered me too much, but it does feel slightly off compared to other Smash games. Apparently stuff like that has been patched before in other fighting games (SFV apparently got a patch that removed its input lag), so maybe Nintendo will do that if they feel it's feasible.

Wanted to touch on this specifically. Secondary FGC guy here.

The patch you're talking about did reduce the input lag in SFV, but it wasn't able to "remove it" or reduce it down to the small amounts it had been in previous titles.

(This is a real thing, as weird as it sounds.)
Floating Octahedral Shard

User Info: StephenYap3

StephenYap3
3 months ago#9
-Home Run Contest
-Targets
-10-Man, 3-minute, 15-minute, Rival, and Endless Multi-Man Smash modes
-Stage Builder
-Adjustable height for Mii Fighters
-Play as Mii Fighters in Classic Mode
-Doodle mode with Snapshots
-Custom Specials (and even applying them to amiibo)
-Actual purposes to use amiibo

All that said, I still enjoyed Ultimate. I just liked Smash 4 better.
Bomberman deserves to be in Smash as a playable fighter. R.I.P. Miiverse 2012 - 2017. R.I.P. Miitomo 2016 - 2018.

User Info: Rlaur2

Rlaur2
3 months ago#10
ZSS has better butt and boobies in Smash 4.
-_-
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. What Smash 4 did Better than Smash Ultimate
  • Topic Archived