• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Who is more obscure? Geno or Shantae?

User Info: DOTBHDD

DOTBHDD
2 months ago#1
Who's the most obscure? (Put ALL bias aside and answer honestly) - Results (720 votes)
Geno
68.47% (493 votes)
Shantae
31.53% (227 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Geno fans: "He's from a Mario game! Everyone knows Mario so everyone knows Geno through association!"

Shantae fans: "Shantae is super popular in Japan! The country basically loves her."

Try Hards: "Neither are as iconic as Minecraft and Fortnite so neither should be playable! You need 10 million sales or more to be in iconic enough for Smash."

Banjo-Kazooie fans: "The N64 era was amazing thanks to Banjo-Kazooie! Rare was awesome."
Yay!

User Info: PichuLover

PichuLover
2 months ago#2
Shantae I guess. I mean some people might not know about Geno either despite the fact Mario RPG is pretty known, though apparently not so popular in Japan and is very obscure in Europe.
I don't know how popular Shantae is though.

User Info: Joozhuah

Joozhuah
2 months ago#3
Geno: Side character in a game that was somewhat popular in the 90s with nothing more than an Easter egg since then

Shantae: Popular indie series that’s been going strong for years now

I want Geno more but this is an easy question
Official #1 Supporter for Bandana Dee for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Also supporting Captain Toad and Amaterasu

User Info: perfectchaos83

perfectchaos83
2 months ago#4
I'd say nowadays to the general gaming public (Outside of Smash fans) it's Geno. Easily. Exposure means a lot to not being obscure and Geno literally has zero exposure.
Mia FTW!!!
The Dude abides.
(message deleted)

User Info: Ranticoot

Ranticoot
2 months ago#6
SMRPG is a straight-up obscure game at this point. It has more or less been abandoned by time (no sequel and both the other Mario RPG series are way more well known and owe very little, if any, of their success to being successors to SMRPG), and any character from it is going to have serious problems with being known by anyone. When people think of RPGs on the SNES, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger are always what come to mind first. Those are games the publisher have embraced, and those are the ones with big, loyal, non-Smash related fanbases. Geno and SMRPG itself are probably better known as a character and game Smash fans are obsessed with.

Shantae makes small, but existent nonetheless, waves through the general video game fandom and has constant releases on all the major systems, and WayForward generally wants people to know they work on Shantae. I remember that when the Kickstarter for Half-Genie Hero was going up it was getting a good deal of press from a lot of outlets.
Born to lose, live to win!

User Info: 9Cirno9

9Cirno9
2 months ago#7
I think Shantae was featured on a sign in some shops right?
~Touhou and Vocaloid!
3DS FC: 3196-2797-1909 | Switch FC: SW-4301-6852-8035 | Check out my games list~!

User Info: LightEcoSage

LightEcoSage
2 months ago#8
Chill with the Shantae topics. Also, the answer is Geno, obviously. Shantae has more games, is the main character of her series, has more cameos, more relevance, and had her 4th game released one-two years ago. Anyone who says Shantae is an ignorant dumbass.
Officially and reliably, Mewtwo isn't evil nor a villain; and Shadow the Hedgehog, the anti-hero, is the second most popular Sonic character.
(message deleted)

User Info: perfectchaos83

perfectchaos83
2 months ago#10
9Cirno9 posted...
I think Shantae was featured on a sign in some shops right?

Shantae was on some eShop advertisements in stores and was the icon of the eShop button on the 3DS for a long, long time.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/metallic_trance/NuAndMare.png
Many thanks to Metallic_Trance! :3
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Who is more obscure? Geno or Shantae?
  • Topic Archived