• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Every argument against Banjo-Kazooie really doesn't hold up

User Info: BrokenBandit84

BrokenBandit84
1 year ago#31
Banjo didn't even get a Trophy in Melee WHEN HE WAS STILL OWNED BY NINTENDO.

Screw what Phil Spencer said. If they couldn't get the Licensing rights to Banjo when he was still under Nintendo's umbrella what makes you think they can when he's owned by Nintendo's biggest competitor?

Teaming up With Microsoft to make fun of sony is one thing, collaboration is another.

User Info: Morgan3DS64

Morgan3DS64
1 year ago#32
BrokenBandit84 posted...

Screw what Phil Spencer said. If they couldn't get the Licensing rights to Banjo when he was still under Nintendo's umbrella what makes you think they can when he's owned by Nintendo's biggest competitor?

Teaming up With Microsoft to make fun of sony is one thing, collaboration is another.

Teaming up with Microsoft wouldn't be making fun of Sony.

User Info: SpeedSh0t92

SpeedSh0t92
1 year ago#33
BrokenBandit84 posted...

Tbf Diddy Kong didn't have a trophy in Melee
"Step forward if you want to die!" - Kazuma Kiryu
SFV: Birdie | T7: Geese | DBFZ: Nappa/Vegeta/Black | GGXrd: Ky | BBTAG: Kanji/Carmine

User Info: ssjgohhku

ssjgohhku
1 year ago#34
BrokenBandit84 posted...

According to Sakurai the reason why they weren't playable in Melee is because of "adult licensing reasons." In other words if Rare was owned by Nintendo back then, then Banjo would have been in Melee.

User Info: SmashBurb

SmashBurb
1 year ago#35
Morgan3DS64 posted...
There's not going to be too many newcomers - After just got two fighters, and three echo fighters.

Uhhh......this could just as easily mean reveals are going to happen in a different way than everyone expected.

Instead of getting, like, one character every month, we're getting several at a time every few months. For all we know, there could just be one more Direct where we get the rest of the roster, and it's a comparable amount to what we got on the 8th.

ssjgohhku posted...
BrokenBandit84 posted...

According to Sakurai the reason why they weren't playable in Melee is because of "adult licensing reasons." In other words if Rare was owned by Nintendo back then, then Banjo would have been in Melee.

That's......quite a stretch to say that they would've been in Melee if it weren't for the buyout.

FYI, Rare was still with Nintendo for the grand majority of Melee's development. The buyout would've had no impact on its content, and in fact, didn't, seeing as how Perfect Dark is explicitly mentioned in the Motion Sensor Bomb trophy.

Considering characters like Diddy Kong, Wario, and King Dedede didn't make it, and we wouldn't have gotten Ganondorf if it weren't for clones, the Zelda Tech Demo's model, and Ganondorf coincidentally having a similar figure to Captain Falcon, it's a little hard to believe that Banjo would've been prioritized.

Furthermore, you conveniently forgot to mention that Sakurai's statement on Banjo was also a response to a request for James Bond. Do you think we would've gotten him, too, if it weren't for the buyout?

User Info: SmashBurb

SmashBurb
1 year ago#36
Also....

Every argument FOR Banjo-Kazooie doesn't really hold up.

- They're big names in gaming: Yeah, in the late 90's/early 00's. The last game was released 10 years ago and is almost universally despised.

- K. Rool proves that relevance doesn't matter!: Or K. Rool proves that demand is more important than relevance. Banjo's boost came after the original Phil Spencer tweet during the ballot period. There's not really anything to suggest he did well in the ballot, and he was never really on the same level as Ridley or K. Rool.

- Microsoft and NIntendo are on good terms, Phil Spencer said they could use him in Smash!: The cross platform promotional material is beneficial to both parties. It makes Sony, who have a massive lead this generation, look like a******s. Nintendo and Microsoft would've been dumb NOT to take advantage of a Sony f***up. I'd also argue Phil's tweet is as much a point against Banjo as it is for them. Keep in mind that it was made in, like, March or April. If Banjo were in Smash, he'd have to be in already. They don't add full unique new characters this late in development (unless their name is Sonic. Even though B-K and B-T were better than any 3D Sonic game, to say Banjo is anywhere near Sonic's level is laughable).....meaning it's long past the point where Phil would need to give permission to use him, and he likely wouldn't have commented at all if Banjo were in.

- There isn't any hype newcomers left!: Simon Belmont wasn't exactly super huge in the Smash fandom prior to Vergeben's leak. Just because there isn't really any huge characters left on our radar doesn't mean there isn't any left. I'm sure it's doable. Though, now that I think about it, we've never really had a major finale in Smash prerelease. The last newcomer announced pre-release usually isn't anything major (I don't remember who it was for Melee, but Brawl's last one was Olimar, a character everyone was expecting, and SSB4's was Shulk, who's relatively niche and was also heavily predicted thanks to Gematsu). We don't really need a groundbreaking finale.

- The rumored Minecraft stage confirms Banjo!: I know hearing this is going to piss some people off, and I don't like saying it myself, but......we're long past the point where Minecraft has become bigger than Banjo. Banjo is a series that's been dead for a decade and ended on a very low note. For as much flak as it gets, Minecraft has been a phenomenon. The idea that Minecraft couldn't get in on its own merits and had to be attached to Banjo is absurd.

User Info: Vergeben

Vergeben
1 year ago#37
IrradiatedSoda posted...
@Vergeben Is the Minecraft leak still a thing? You haven't mentioned it since the first time, so I'm wondering if you still stand by it

I haven't heard anything against it since hearing about it if that's what you're asking.

User Info: NatsuSama

NatsuSama
1 year ago#38
I would love for banjo to get in. Banjo is literally my first video game ive ever played.

With that being said, im not holding my breath. Sakurai said not to expect a lot of newcomers and we already got a few. We may get one more newcomer tops, but the odds arent looking good on it being banjo.
WAAAH, I CAN'T BEAT THIS GUY WITH HIS TACTICS, I'M GONNA CALL IT SPAM AND CONDEMN HIM FOR USING IT

User Info: DOTBHDD

DOTBHDD
1 year ago#39
Who the f*** wants Master Chief?
Best 2D Platformers:
Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, & Shantae

User Info: Unexpected128

Unexpected128
1 year ago#40
NatsuSama posted...
I would love for banjo to get in. Banjo is literally my first video game ive ever played.

Me too, Banjo-Kazooie was my first video game ever as well ;w;

I think even though it's unlikely, Nintendo might end up adding Banjo for the sake of the crowd from the 90s era.

Even though Sakurai had licensing issues in Melee, times have changed, and we can see that Smash Ultimate has way more third party content than any other Smash to date, including content of franchises without any playable characters in Smash, like Shovel Knight, Monster Hunter and Bomberman!

I think this "third party flexibility" they've shown is definitely good for Banjo's chances. It shows Nintendo is going the extra mile to add content from other companies, and it'd make a lot of sense to include Banjo, a character loved by so many Nintendo fans.
Banjo & Kazooie and Chibi-Robo for Smash!
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Every argument against Banjo-Kazooie really doesn't hold up
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A