Sora in Smash is more likely than you think or know.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Sora in Smash is more likely than you think or know.

User Info: Sakalune

Sakalune
2 months ago#1
How many people actually would consider/want Sora from the Kingdom Hearts series in Smash Ultimate? To me I feel like this is the perfect and only opportunity for him to be in the game. It’s either Ultimate or never.

- There was an interview with Sakurai and Nomura. It was about Cloud being in Smash after he was revealed. Nomura did ask if he wanted a newer representative instead of Cloud and Sakurai did say Cloud represented or was the most popular of the Final Fantasy series. Obviously there is that bridge of a newer (Sora 2002) character of being in Smash Ultimate. Here is the link:
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

- Nintendo and Disney are collaborating with each other to make a Nintendo Switch family show on Disney. Good relations.

- A great number of Kingdom Hearts main titles were on Nintendo systems:

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (GBA)
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (DS)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS)
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (3DS)

- Officially confirmed who owns the rights to Sora. Here is a YouTuber by the name of HMK that got official word for Sora being in Smash and who owns him while he was at the Kingdom Hearts invitational for those who first got to play Kingdom Hearts 3.
https://youtu.be/CV76QegRezE

- The argument of “Sora belongs to Disney.” And end of conversation is over. Although Sora does belong to Disney, he is controlled by Square as well as they choose which games to put him in but also needs perm from Disney and Disney said they would be fine with him in Ultimate.

Justin Scarpone, VP and General Manager of Disney JP, said that they would be fine with Sora being in Smash Bros. But it’s up to Square Enix to make the decision if they want him in Smash but also the main decision of Tetsuya Nomura. It’s his choice if he wants him in Smash and if he does, he wants his “baby” to be represented correctly in the game as Cloud was. Justin asked HMK, also, if the fanbases would want Sora in Smash and it would be somewhat pertinent part of him being in the game. Nintendo would also want to have Sora in Smash Ultimate and to send the invite to Square and relay back to Disney(which they said they were fine with him being in). If all of that comes together, Justin said it would SERIOUSLY be considered. So to me that’s a grand answer as to his chances in Smash Ultimate.

-Smash Ultimate is coming a month and a half before Kingdom Hearts 3 releases. Smells like a great chance on marketing for both games, to make Sora paid DLC in Ultimate.

- Represents one of the greatest crossovers in history.

All of the characters in Ultimate represent a genre in a great way.

Here is Sakurai’s rules on Third Party characters in Smash:

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

1. While it’s true that we’ve added characters from other companies,
It’s not going to be anyone and everyone.

2.Both companies have to want the character to join the battle.

“I need them to let me take charge of the character.
In order to fit the character into the world of Smash, I need them to allow me some artistic license.”

3. The character must carry game history with them.

“Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

He has a true chance.

Please make constructive arguments if you disagree with me. Don’t just say “No.” or “Lame character.” Let me know why you don’t want him in or do want him in the game if you like Sora. It’s really up to us as a fan base if we want Sora in Ultimate.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Sora made top 5 in a Japanese ballot for characters wanted in Smash Ultimate. The website is in the description of Omni’s video.
https://youtu.be/llE_zTlUY3s

Thanks for reading.

User Info: JimmyFraska

JimmyFraska
2 months ago#2
Yes, but I think his close relation to non game characters (I mean that's the entire series' thing) may cut him off. It just opens Pandora's box a little too wide.

User Info: IamNori

IamNori
2 months ago#3
JimmyFraska posted...
Yes, but I think his close relation to non game characters (I mean that's the entire series' thing) may cut him off. It just opens Pandora's box a little too wide.

That's sort of the feeling I got. Much of KH is licensed Disney material.

If Sakurai is only going to work within the boundaries of "video game characters only," then the source material is going to be somewhat limited.

It doesn't help that Sora is almost always associated with Donald and Goofy, and much of the gameplay in the KH games includes having some sort of aid from Disney characters.

That being said, I guess there is enough material to make it work, especially in terms of music.
FFBE Global - ID: 439759934; Official Nyx of the Brave Exvius board
Official Pit of the SmUsh board

User Info: 1499

2 months ago#4
JimmyFraska posted...

I don’t know.
If the game is a reboot, those characters may have no chance of getting in.

But if it does end up being announced as a reboot, the years after Sora’s release will lead to thousands of Mickey Mouse requests.
I would say that was the cavalry, but I've never seen a line of horses crash into the battlefield from outer space before.

User Info: Supernat98

Supernat98
2 months ago#5
Yes!

▶▶▶▶▶▶⤵
Paper Mario and Sora for Smash!

User Info: BigBootyNivlax

BigBootyNivlax
2 months ago#6
@AzureHero

User Info: RPG kid

RPG kid
2 months ago#7
Sure, i get the argument that sora stands close to Disney characters.

But do they really define him though? He is bound to become close to a keyblade master, i think there are more than plenty of aspects his appearance in smash could be based on without losing the "original" feeling of the character, both appearance and gameplay wise.

They do not 'need' to include Donald and Goofy in his FS or incorporate them as an assist trophy, heck they dont even have to be in any form of KH related stage.
Game in Progress

User Info: RPG kid

RPG kid
2 months ago#8
@Randiko
Game in Progress

User Info: SmashBurb

SmashBurb
2 months ago#9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMYgcS53Ezk

User Info: PacificFun

PacificFun
2 months ago#10
If it weren't for Disney, Sora would be a lock. But I dint see him happening. Sakurai would have to deal with some REALLY dumb s*** to get him in. And it doesn't help that Sqaure AND Disney are stubborn as hell. Lara Croft, Geno or Slime seem more likely.
A cynical and pessimistic human being that hates everything.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. Sora in Smash is more likely than you think or know.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived