• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  3. Infinity Ward 'not working' on a supply drop or loot box system for MW

User Info: Silver17

Silver17
11 months ago#1
"Infinity Ward’s Art Director Joel Emslie has just posted on Reddit an update on “current events” and leaks surrounding Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and its loot box system in the game.

Emslie said on Reddit that more misinformation continues to be spread by certain people about Modern Warfare.

Sigh. There continues to be misinformed and incorrect info being pushed about Modern Warfare.

He then said that the studio is “definitely NOT” planning any supply drop or loot box system for the game. He also said functional items (gameplay changing items) are unlocked through gameplay.

What I can say right now is that we are definitely NOT working on any kind of supply drop or loot box system. Also, functional stuff is unlocked through GAMEPLAY. Stay tuned, we’re planning to release info this week.

Infinity Ward plans to release more info this upcoming week about the game and the loot system for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare ahead of the game’s launch on October 25. There’s a lot of questions about how the studio is planning on having loot and systems work in this game.

The last statement from Infinity Ward said that the system in this game is ‘different’ than that of Black Ops 4 with a ‘direct path to content’ for players."

Link --> https://charlieintel.com/modern-warfare-will-not-have-a-supply-drop-or-loot-box-system-more-info-coming-this-week/57266/
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy

Silver17
11 months ago#2
"we are definitely NOT working on any kind of supply drop or loot box system. Also, functional stuff is unlocked through GAMEPLAY."

^ To me, this seems like "crafting system confirmed", and maybe (at least for launch) that instead of the option to buy SDs, there's an option to buy crafting material.

Otherwise it's direct purchase skins. (If you can't buy crafting material)

Of course I could be completely wrong... *shrugs*

User Info: zhumar

zhumar
11 months ago#3
There must be a rotating store or something then. There's no way Activi$ion would make CoD without some way to nickle and dime stupid people.
Founder of the madbad virgin clan

Silver17
11 months ago#4
zhumar posted...
There must be a rotating store or something then. There's no way Activi$ion would make CoD without some way to nickle and dime stupid people.

IDK.. Still think it's gonna be a friendly system at launch.

Imagine how much money Activision would lose on preorders if they flat out said, yup "RNG SD at launch".

& They have too play nice now (more than ever) because of all the backlash that happened with the Spec Ops survival mode... JMO

User Info: XxOblivion77

XxOblivion77
11 months ago#5
Gee then why did Nero earn a supply during the beta?
GT: OhBlivEeUn
If you can't identify the supply drop you are the supply drop

Silver17
11 months ago#6
XxOblivion77 posted...

A lot of people over on CI believe that was faked. ;)

IDK, (for me) I think that RNG lootboxes could have been rolled out at launch, but Spec Ops went waaaay worse than what Activision/IW OG expected... *shrugs*

User Info: YeaICampSo

YeaICampSo
11 months ago#7
Silver17 posted...
XxOblivion77 posted...

A lot of people over on CI believe that was faked. ;)

IDK, (for me) I think that RNG lootboxes could have been rolled out at launch, but Spec Ops went waaaay worse than what Activision/IW OG expected... *shrugs*

It could also be a reused asset or an early idea that they decided to scrap.

Yes, the game is built on a new engine and everything, but I’d also be willing to bet they imported what they could from previous games to help make development easier, so if supply drops also came over in the form of code from Infinite Warfare, then that could theoretically explain why it happened.

But as you said, it could also be faked. Others on Reddit claimed to have gotten it, but I don’t recall any showing video footage of it, nobody streaming the beta seemed to have gotten the message, and I never personally saw it.

I also saw a lot of people on Reddit claiming that they’re “not working on it” because it’s already finished and ready to go, but I highly doubt that they’d be downplaying SD’s like they are now if they had them ready to go. I’m sure that somewhere, they have some plans on how to implement them if need be, and I’m entirely positive we’ll see them down the road because of how greedy ATVI is, but as is it doesn’t seem like we’ll have to deal with RNG loot boxes for the first couple of months at least.
Xbox One X (Yeah I Camp So) PS4 Pro (YeaICampSo) Nintendo Switch (YeahICampSo) PC (https://valid.x86.fr/qwx47q) gamer

User Info: Vindris_SNH

Vindris_SNH
11 months ago#8
Don't ever expect a AAA game developer to be completely honest.
glitteringfairy: Just build the damn wall
ThyCorndog: and how exactly will that stop the mexican space program from orbital dropping illegal immigrants?

User Info: XxOblivion77

XxOblivion77
11 months ago#9
I'm just gonna wait for the Reddit Riot
GT: OhBlivEeUn
If you can't identify the supply drop you are the supply drop

Silver17
11 months ago#10
YeaICampSo posted...

It could also be a reused asset or an early idea that they decided to scrap.

My take, this is something that could have been ready to go for launch, but the backlash over the Specs Ops survival mode was a lot worse than they expected.

So we're pretty much guaranteed no RNG SDs for probably the first 3-4 months.

Hopefully whatever system they use is fair, and it works out for both sides... :)
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  3. Infinity Ward 'not working' on a supply drop or loot box system for MW
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A