• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Trek
  3. Why don't people like enterprise?

User Info: itcheyness

itcheyness
10 months ago#11
If the ending leaves a bad enough taste in your mouth, give the Enterprise relaunch novels a try.

It fixes some of the issues with it.
Green Bay Packers 7-9
Seattle Sounders 14-9-11 53pts

User Info: Offworlder1

Offworlder1
10 months ago#12
TATV is just a holodeck simulation, what really happened was edited out by Section 31.
"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice"
3DS FC: 1564 - 7512 - 1815

User Info: Sir Will

Sir Will
10 months ago#13
Most of the character are ignored, Archer's an idiot, T'Pol's a b****, and Trip... is lovable but also written as an idiot much of the time.
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'

User Info: Slave 1

Slave 1
10 months ago#14
Speaking on initial impressions, which largely defined how the show was viewed in the long run:

-It didn't wow people right out of the gate. Star Trek's writing quality had been sliding since VOY and it didn't see a substantial bump with ENT. People were impatient and hoping for Star Trek to become great again right away. Although personally I would argue S1 of ENT was a decent breath of fresh air for the franchise and that people were maybe aiming a little too high initially.
-It was a prequel, which angered a lot of people. They had to invent a new Enterprise for canon and contradicted a lot of established B-canon stuff that was known about that era. Also it was a very large step backward which of course meant that it was limited in what kinds of new aliens and technology we might be able to see.
-The theme song was VERY divisive to say the least, which doesn't help with first impressions. People were used to their instrumental themes.
-Despite trying to strike a new tone in a new era, the show got off on a bad foot with the overarching plot involving lazy, overplayed, uninteresting time traveler shenanigans. They should've never created the Temporal Cold War arc without a plan. In fact they probably could've done without the TCW at all.

Of course, many of these issues were fixed or explained out. But people had stopped watching already and it was on an ill-fitting channel (UPN, which was well on its way to becoming the teen drama dominated CW it is now). It's a shame because I really liked the show by the time it ended. Season 5 would've been amazing.
Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea. This is the Enterprise: a big circle with a porch. I'm the Captain Picard. Come with me!

User Info: jimmysheva

jimmysheva
10 months ago#15
it wasted time doing stupid storylines instead of focusing on how the UFP came about. And no Earth-Romulan war. Wasted potential
My hat is round, round is my hat.
If it's not round, it's not my hat.

User Info: ablegator

ablegator
10 months ago#16
I got as far as season 3. Became too action schlock by that point.
No matter where you go, there you are.

User Info: Sephirotht

Sephirotht
10 months ago#17
jimmysheva posted...
it wasted time doing stupid storylines instead of focusing on how the UFP came about. And no Earth-Romulan war. Wasted potential

I believe that was actually planned for season 5.
R - http://imgur.com/a/CcEmd
OR TC FC: http://i.imgur.com/VFox9MP.png

User Info: itcheyness

itcheyness
10 months ago#18
Sephirotht posted...
jimmysheva posted...

I believe that was actually planned for season 5.

They planned Season 5 to have "Whispers of the Romulan war". I assume that means it would've been the run-up to it and the war would've been seen in Season 6.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek:_Enterprise_episodes#Proposed_fifth_season_episodes

There are some kinda cool ideas in there, and one that would've been utterly terrible lol
Green Bay Packers 7-9
Seattle Sounders 14-9-11 53pts

User Info: Smacd

Smacd
10 months ago#19
90% of the complaints I hear are about the theme song.

User Info: Archmonk Iga

Archmonk Iga
10 months ago#20
ENT is good for the most part. I just thought the cast's acting was a bit weak (Phlox and Hoshi had good actors though) and a lot of the storylines didn't interest me. But there were some excellent episodes here and there in season 1 & 2, and then 3 had that long-term story which was neat. Season 4 was so much fun... I wish they could've kept going with that momentum.

I didn't watch the final episode (but read a very depressing synopsis). I try to tell people that "Terra Prime" serves as an excellent conclusion to a show that ended too soon.

And I believe I'm in the minority on this board but ENT's male eye-candy was the best out of all the ST series. =)
It's not up to you, and it never really was.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Trek
  3. Why don't people like enterprise?
  • Topic Archived