• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Star Trek
  3. Space sonar to detect Klingons.. f*** these writers are clueless

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 year ago#1
I realize technobable is a star trek thing. But Christ even tos wasn't that stupid.

But at least they are exploring a planet, so star trek like.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: battleblast

battleblast
1 year ago#2
Just remember, there was a director for one of the TOS movies that insisted Nichelle Nichols pull out several books on Klingon, and sit at her terminal studying them for one scene in one of the movies.
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages they can be impolite without having their skulls split.
Official Phantom Stranger of the C&GN

SinisterSlay
1 year ago#3
battleblast posted...
Just remember, there was a director for one of the TOS movies that insisted Nichelle Nichols pull out several books on Klingon, and sit at her terminal studying them for one scene in one of the movies.

A book is more believable than sound in space that can cover the whole alpha quadrant.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Inferno00

Inferno00
1 year ago#4
It was some alien tech...
"Burn in the fires of Inferno!"

SinisterSlay
1 year ago#5
Inferno00 posted...
It was some alien tech...

The magic of crystals!

Again... sound in space... sonar...

So many possible things, hell, even radio could have been spun to make sense. But not sonar...

User Info: BrutonGaster

BrutonGaster
1 year ago#6
Just think, you guys will be getting a second season of this as well. So much to look forward to!
Gentlemen, no fighting please. This is, after all, a council of war.

User Info: Sir Will

Sir Will
1 year ago#7
Were they just using sonar as an example of what the technique would be like? I mean, they probably didn't mean actual sound waves. I don't watch the show.
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'

User Info: battleblast

battleblast
1 year ago#8
SinisterSlay posted...
battleblast posted...

A book is more believable than sound in space that can cover the whole alpha quadrant.

Not really. Books are more antique, and done for flavor then something a communications officer would have sitting around. Especially one that's worked around enough Klingons that she should know the language without a translator.
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages they can be impolite without having their skulls split.
Official Phantom Stranger of the C&GN

SinisterSlay
1 year ago#9
Sir Will posted...
Were they just using sonar as an example of what the technique would be like? I mean, they probably didn't mean actual sound waves. I don't watch the show.

it's a planet that all the plants create sound, and the sound gets directed to a giant crystal tower and shot into space.
Apparently Starfleet can use this sound to detect Klingons like sonar, and use it across the alpha quadrant, and there's no risk of the Klingons hearing it.

It's unbearably stupid.

oh, and in the end, the planet decides that it wants humans and Klingons at peace, so it sends a subspace message... To the Klingon sarcophagus ship. The episode ends with both in space over the planet and Michael saying they have to defend the planet.

User Info: Sir Will

Sir Will
1 year ago#10
JFC that show is horrible -_-
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
  1. Boards
  2. Star Trek
  3. Space sonar to detect Klingons.. f*** these writers are clueless
  • Topic Archived