• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Kart Tour
  3. Awkward controls

User Info: gloBal enemy

gloBal enemy
1 month ago#1
Just did the tutorial race and whilst I managed to win, the "Drift mode" controls feel so awkward. The game recommended to use these rather than the simplified controls for total newbies, but I struggled to get the swiping correct and it felt counter-intuitive to play. Has anyone else found this? Will it get better with time?

I'd try more but the game failed to load the assets afterwards so... I only had one go.
If you can understand this, I'm 2/cosC for you.

User Info: MC Link

MC Link
1 month ago#2
I've played two races and came first on both - used the drift controls but I've played a lot of Mario Kart over the years.

I believe you want to stay away from drift if you're a newbie to the series and so if I were you I would go to settings and change the controls to simplified.

Good luck!! :)
*/******\/*****\*C Link : 3DS FC 0774-4325-8143 - Fransisco
{___(\__/)___} "@ValKilmer4Life"-Twitter tweet me!

User Info: gloBal enemy

gloBal enemy
1 month ago#3
I've been playing Mario Kart for many years and even bought MK8 three times (Wii U, Switch, and then Switch eShop) but I still find swiping really difficult. I also wondered if my tempered glass protector which gives it a bit of resistance/stickiness when I swipe contributes to the challenge but still just felt... odd.
If you can understand this, I'm 2/cosC for you.

User Info: XxGhaleonxX

XxGhaleonxX
1 month ago#4
It’s inverted compared to my preferences. Left is right and right is left. I was able to get first on the 3rd race, but first two races after the tutorial I took 3rd because the controls mixed me up so bad. For reference I have every cup unlocked for 3 stars in MK8D along with every unlockable the game has to offer so it’s not like I suck at them necessarily.
PlayStation: AcetonSkyhigh
Switch: SW-0738-7544-2985

User Info: Radbot42

Radbot42
1 month ago#5
It takes a moment to get used to it, but remember how drifting works on console, drift against the way your turning so you dont drift as far. so turn in the direction of the turn and then swipe and hold in the opposite direction. Only thing I don't like is that I wish there was a way to move without turning though
Share a bag of potato chips and we all become friends!

User Info: XxGhaleonxX

XxGhaleonxX
1 month ago#6
Radbot42 posted...
It takes a moment to get used to it, but remember how drifting works on console, drift against the way your turning so you dont drift as far. so turn in the direction of the turn and then swipe and hold in the opposite direction. Only thing I don't like is that I wish there was a way to move without turning though

Oh maybe that’s my problem. I use bikes because karts suck.
PlayStation: AcetonSkyhigh
Switch: SW-0738-7544-2985

User Info: Zombie-finatic

Zombie-finatic
1 month ago#7
personally i found using gyro controls paired with the swipe to drift works really well. the only down side is having to sit down and hold my phone like a jackass to do it lol
PSN: xiGotDatSauce
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Kart Tour
  3. Awkward controls
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers

What is the shortest track? Main Quest1 Answer
How Do You Unlock Mii? Tech Support1 Answer
How you take out 5 sidestppers? Side Quest1 Answer