Be honest on performance

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dead Cells
  3. Be honest on performance

User Info: tyfire239

tyfire239
1 month ago#1
So as a preface, I have both a switch and a Xbox one X. As one could guess based off of my topic title I would prefer to get this on the switch, but have seen where even the developers have commented on the existence of performance issues. Can anyone give some honest input on the state of the game? I would mostly play docked but occasionally handheld
Something so satisfying about blasting out 100 rounds with no pauses, nothing... 100 tiny little yells of "**** YOUR COVER!" -BraindeadRacr

User Info: Aegix_Drakan

Aegix_Drakan
1 month ago#2
tyfire239 posted...
So as a preface, I have both a switch and a Xbox one X. As one could guess based off of my topic title I would prefer to get this on the switch, but have seen where even the developers have commented on the existence of performance issues. Can anyone give some honest input on the state of the game? I would mostly play docked but occasionally handheld

It's generally great, IMO, but once in a while It'll drop a bunch of frames and the action will kinda lurch forward by a second and a half.

Honestly, if you were planning to get it on the Switch, get it on Switch, it's fine. It could be better, but it still plays pretty darn well.
I make RPGs for a hobby. Feel free to give 'em a whirl if you like a challenge.
https://rpgmaker.net/users/Aegix_Drakan/games/

User Info: copaco

copaco
1 month ago#3
I could have gotten it on Xbox but I wanted portability. I do not regret the decision. The only thing I have noticed is once or twice it has seemed laggy when I'm running through a hallway. I have never noticed anything during a fight.

User Info: Literal_Unit

Literal_Unit
1 month ago#4
Unless you are planning to speedrun frame perfect runs dead cells on the switch is fine.

User Info: Gaming4dummies

Gaming4dummies
1 month ago#5
Look. It drops frames. If you’re running in docked there will be times when it stutters.
It is NOT a buttery smooth 60fps all the time.
The X1X will run it more smoothly.
This is a fact.

Now having said all that I have it on Switch, and am playing the s*** out of it.
I’m not playing anything else right now in any other console. It’s Dead Cells every day on my Switch.

This is one of the few games, where for me at least, the portability really becomes a factor.
I’ll play in the living room in handheld, go upstairs after dinner then dock it, take it to work in the morning and get 20 minutes in before work, maybe a few minutes at lunch, take it home and dock it and continue my game. If you’re JUST looking to leave it docked get the other version.

But whichever version you get, buy this game.
For me, Switch really lends itself to this style of game.
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

User Info: Elbarto150

Elbarto150
1 month ago#6
I purchased this game on both the Switch and X1X and I gotta day I prefer it on the X1X quite a bit. I’m not someone who obsesses over performance in most games (usually can handle some drops as long as image quality is good) but for a game that requires quick reflexes like this, even the occasional stutter I find on the Switch can be very frustrating / lead to death.

On the X1X the game is smooth as butter so it gets my choice!

User Info: ziltama

ziltama
4 weeks ago#7
The random frame drops and losing a second of play can get irritating at times. Not entirely gamebreaking (yet).

User Info: Yuri_LowelI

Yuri_LowelI
4 weeks ago#8
Only get it on switch if you plan on playing handheld.

Switch is pretty useless docked when it comes to multiplats because you're effectively playing a far inferior game on a TV. I recently tried to play Skyrim docked and it barely looked better than the 360 version like i was playing it 7 years ago. But handheld mode the game felt like a new experience well worth the price.

I think thats the appeal of the switch tbh. Docked it's like a last gen console but undocked it's a next gen handheld. Even with performance issues here and there the handheld mode is quite fun to play Dead Cells and with a few patches it willbe performing far better.
http://k09.kn3.net/1256263BF.gif

User Info: DevilNinjaNetta

DevilNinjaNetta
4 weeks ago#9
As a stickler for frames and performance, it's rough. That said, the game is fantastic enough to keep me coming back, regardless. I assume that they'll eventually be able to iron out the Switch's performance issues but if not, I'll eventually have to buy it on another platform.
Naught's had, all's spent, where our desire is got without content.

User Info: MildMannerdPate

MildMannerdPate
4 weeks ago#10
I'm about 20 hours in and have only noticed a single instance of stuttering that lasted less than a second.

Like above posters have said unless you are planning on speed runs it's absolutely fine. Totally worth being able to play on the go IMO
Oh, hogwash.
  1. Boards
  2. Dead Cells
  3. Be honest on performance

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived