You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 1 Complete
  3. So... Is the only way to play this game grinding?

User Info: RemusJoestar

RemusJoestar
1 month ago#1
Hi, guys. First of all, I'm a complete noob. I love SRPGs and while not an expert I considered myself pretty good at them. But this is my first Disgaea game.
I like the game so far, but I read a few guides, posts and stuff and
1) They normally talk about post-game stuff
2) Almost always mention grinding

I'm not really interested in the post-game or powerlevelling to be honest, I just want to finish the story and leave it at that. But I'm having a little trouble. I'm on the last stage of Hero's Will, Overlord's Way (Hero's Tomb) and I find that while earlier episodes were pretty easy after grinding a little, now the diferrence in levels between my party and the enemies keeps getting bigger.
So I replayed some stages and grinded 3-4 levels for every unit and was pretty happy. But then I checked some strategies for the stage (just in case, hadn't needed help so far) and find that people with like 8 levels more in their party than me had been having difficulty...
Maybe I'm just doing it wrong? The grinding I mean. The game says I can beat it with minimal knowledge of the Item World and Dark Assembly so I almost never used them.
So... Is the only answer always grinding a little (lot) more?
Can I just play the game just to beat the story without all that stuff about Statisticians and all that? You know, like a normal SRPG? Or did I just chose a game that isn't for me? When I can advance through the story with little problem is super fun, but then every so often I find myself getting to some wall in difficulty I have to overcome with grinding
Thanks in advance, doods!
"I will hunt you AND the night!"
Not English-speaker, so I ask you forgive me for any possible mistake.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: EPR-radar

EPR-radar
1 month ago#2
The main bit of advice for the main story lines in all games in this franchise is to focus on a smaller group of units than the 10 unit max you can deploy. Trying to keep 10 units up to par will always need a fair bit of grinding.

Meanwhile, if you focus on a smaller group like 4-5 units, exp, mana and gear are much easier to manage. 1-2 units is even better from that perspective, but that's more for someone who knows the game inside and out and wants to blitz through the story line.

That said, some units in D1 will need special attention to be useful. Healers should be given offensive magic spells so that they can gain levels and mana that way (healing by itself gives little or no exp in the game, IIRC).

Thieves are very handy, but getting them up to par and keeping them that way is a pain in the ass in this game.

RemusJoestar
1 month ago#3
Thanks a lot for your answer, dood!
I actually began using a complete party as soon as I was able since I wanted to try the different characters/classes, but a few stages ago I shrink it to eight. I'm gonna take your advice and use a few less. Should I grind with this few characters until I'm well above the enemies' level? Should I always try to be a few levels above?

User Info: EPR-radar

EPR-radar
1 month ago#4
RemusJoestar posted...
I actually began using a complete party as soon as I was able since I wanted to try the different characters/classes, but a few stages ago I shrink it to eight. I'm gonna take your advice and use a few less. Should I grind with this few characters until I'm well above the enemies' level? Should I always try to be a few levels above?

You'll be more outnumbered with the smaller party, and levels/gear will be needed to make up the difference. For gear you'll want to pass the Dark Assembly bills needed to get some decent stuff to appear in the hub world shops. (Item world runs can also be used to get gear, but that's a bit more random in terms of rewards.)

FYI, Hero's Tomb is one of the tougher maps in the main story line.

RemusJoestar
1 month ago#5
EPR-radar posted...
RemusJoestar posted...

You'll be more outnumbered with the smaller party, and levels/gear will be needed to make up the difference. For gear you'll want to pass the Dark Assembly bills needed to get some decent stuff to appear in the hub world shops. (Item world runs can also be used to get gear, but that's a bit more random in terms of rewards.)

FYI, Hero's Tomb is one of the tougher maps in the main story line.

I used the Dark Assembly a little for better items already, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to do it a lot more.
This helps a lot! Thanks, man. Gonna try getting a few more levels and then challenging Don Joaquin once more.

User Info: Enigma8th

Enigma8th
1 month ago#6
if you want to clear hero's tomb "strategically" you basically need to form a pile of characters with your mage on top of it and get him/her in range of the 2 enemy boost geos and oneshot them in the first turn, though i recall that can only be done if both geos are generated with the same elemental weakness if you didn't grind much. ereasing those panels from the get go will make it far, far easier, only thing you must take notice of is you may be "sacrificing" some of the units participating in the throwing pile by leaving them open to enemy's harm, it's a necessary loss
There was a HOLE here. It's gone now.
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 1 Complete
  3. So... Is the only way to play this game grinding?